• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Resort Response to COVID-19

zoomzoom

never said they don't protect the wearer, i posted the intended use.

i took a look the summary of operating plans provided by "newski england industry" link provided above, and they report "face masks" are required at every resort listed. they have it wrong, with some resorts requiring face coverings not masks. big difference, and surprised they missed that important distinction.

tnt1234, to answer your question "Are balaclava's or ski face masks acceptable?"the best thing to do would be to not trust opinions you found on the 'net, and simply call the resort.

drjeff

If the experience my wife and I had at Mount Snow this morning is indicative of things to come this season, get ready for some seriously militant mask police patrolling!!

My wife and I went for a walk from our condo down to the main base area and back this morning. It was about 8:30 when we got to the main base area, lifts weren't running yet, it was empty. As we're walking out towards the parking lot, there was an employee walking in who starts aggressively pointing at his mask (my wife and I didn't have masks on during our walk this morning) and tells us as we pass by him about 15 feet away on the other side of the road that "mask use is MANDATORY at all times on campus".....

Now granted, there is no signage noting this currently as you head onto the Mount Snow property.

I do wear a mask when I am out and about. Never even crossed my mind as my wife and I headed out for our walk this morning. There's going to be plenty of customer service complaints I'm guessing this year about this topic for sure!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

As we're walking out towards the parking lot, there was an employee walking in who starts aggressively pointing at his mask (my wife and I didn't have masks on during our walk this morning) and tells us as we pass by him about 15 feet away on the other side of the road that "mask use is MANDATORY at all times on campus".....

This is in the wide-open outdoors without any crowds?

drjeff

This is in the wide-open outdoors without any crowds?
Yup. Just my wife and I and the one employee in a parking lot roughly the size of a football field

And during the roughly 45 minute walk my wife and I took, that employee was literally the only person we saw who wasn't in a car

machski

Yup. Just my wife and I and the one employee in a parking lot roughly the size of a football field

And during the roughly 45 minute walk my wife and I took, that employee was literally the only person we saw who wasn't in a car

Sounds like masks on slopes at Vail resorts may actually be required beyond just the lifts, lift kit was and indoors? That should put Vail out of business

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

slatham

If the experience my wife and I had at Mount Snow this morning is indicative of things to come this season, get ready for some seriously militant mask police patrolling!!

My wife and I went for a walk from our condo down to the main base area and back this morning. It was about 8:30 when we got to the main base area, lifts weren't running yet, it was empty. As we're walking out towards the parking lot, there was an employee walking in who starts aggressively pointing at his mask (my wife and I didn't have masks on during our walk this morning) and tells us as we pass by him about 15 feet away on the other side of the road that "mask use is MANDATORY at all times on campus".....

Now granted, there is no signage noting this currently as you head onto the Mount Snow property.

I do wear a mask when I am out and about. Never even crossed my mind as my wife and I headed out for our walk this morning. There's going to be plenty of customer service complaints I'm guessing this year about this topic for sure!

Don't put it past Vail to mandate employees remind all visitors of the rules regardless of the situation, and have no ability to think for themselves given the situation. If you are "on campus", and masks are required, they must tell you to wear a mask.

NYDB

For the first time, I am really starting to think I may be opting out ( or be forced to by travel restrictions) of this season. When Covid 2.0 blows up mid November, we will be back to the same shutdown, with enough restrictions to limit travel for skiing . I used to think another shutdown was impossible, but cases might blow up so big the state governments feel it is their only option to keep hospitalizations and deaths down.

The best chance for skiing may be early season before the thanksgiving holiday. And I'm not going to burn a whole years worth of IKON on 4 or 5 wrod days.

I know my county in NY will still be under restrictions for VT travel (even if my town and surrounding towns have very few new cases, I am lumped in with much more dense western areas) , and I am not going to flout the law. Or drop $1,200 for covid tests for family each time I want to go skiing.

urungus

For the first time, I am really starting to think I may be opting out ( or be forced to by travel restrictions) of this season. When Covid 2.0 blows up mid November, we will be back to the same shutdown, with enough restrictions to limit travel for skiing . I used to think another shutdown was impossible, but cases might blow up so big the state governments feel it is their only option to keep hospitalizations and deaths down.

The best chance for skiing may be early season before the thanksgiving holiday. And I'm not going to burn a whole years worth of IKON on 4 or 5 wrod days.

I know my county in NY will still be under restrictions for VT travel (even if my town and surrounding towns have very few new cases, I am lumped in with much more dense western areas) , and I am not going to flout the law. Or drop $1,200 for covid tests for family each time I want to go skiing.

You could still hit Whiteface, Gore, Hunter, Windham, Platty, Belleayre ...

Glade Monkey

This incident paints a very bad precedent in Maine for ski season. Janet Mills better come to her senses. This is just ridiculous:

https://www.necn.com/news/coronavir...ason-after-exceeding-capacity-limits/2318206/

"According to park operations staff, Aquaboggan opened on July 1, operating at 25% capacity or up to 1,500 people." So, they were claiming their normal capacity is 6,000 people?!?
This place is not a quarter the size of FunTown down the road, it is an even smaller park with some waterslides and a wave pool.
http://www.aquaboggan.com/parkmap
Even people who went there were complaining about the large numbers (when they only had at most 1,200) and also lack of distancing. According to the press articles they were warned many times and the state even tried to work with them before being told to limit it to 100.

NYDB

You could still hit Whiteface, Gore, Hunter, Windham, Platty, Belleayre ...

I have a house in VT so I am usually there. Staying at hotels to ski at NY areas seems crazy with covid.

I could just stay up at the Vt house this winter if kids go full remote with school. Who knows.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

You're getting ahead of yourself...

Much of the country has been back to school the past two weeks...aren't we supposed to see an "explosion" in cases right about now? Daily new cases the past two days have been the lowest since mid-June. I'm not trying to be optimistic or snarky or a conspiracy theorist here...but I've yet to see any prediction with this virus come true. According to Bill Gate's model circa mid-April we were supposed to be done with Covid last month lol.

machski

"According to park operations staff, Aquaboggan opened on July 1, operating at 25% capacity or up to 1,500 people." So, they were claiming their normal capacity is 6,000 people?!?
This place is not a quarter the size of FunTown down the road, it is an even smaller park with some waterslides and a wave pool.
http://www.aquaboggan.com/parkmap
Even people who went there were complaining about the large numbers (when they only had at most 1,200) and also lack of distancing. According to the press articles they were warned many times and the state even tried to work with them before being told to limit it to 100.
We'll, I would assume their 25% plan was approved by someone in government at some level. So there's that.

Regardless, this sets a precedent in state. Local authorities get pissed at lift lines or crowds at a base, resort gets cut to 100 guests/day. Not a good precedent to have been set. And don't say it can't happen at a ski resort, it absolutely could.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Which is precisely the same model scaring the crap out of people predicting COVID19 explodes in mid-November.

That's kinda funny if it's true. I haven't paid an once of attention to the future regarding this virus. Just gotta take things day-by-day.

It's another day with very low new cases. 7-day rolling average of new cases back to late June levels.

tnt1234

You're getting ahead of yourself...

Much of the country has been back to school the past two weeks...aren't we supposed to see an "explosion" in cases right about now? Daily new cases the past two days have been the lowest since mid-June. I'm not trying to be optimistic or snarky or a conspiracy theorist here...but I've yet to see any prediction with this virus come true. According to Bill Gate's model circa mid-April we were supposed to be done with Covid last month lol.

Plenty of colleges are having explosions on campus. But thankfully they are not sending teh kids home to infect their households and communities. They seem to be doing a good job quarantining.

Grade schools might be okay... I think we just have to wait and see....

tnt1234

That's kinda funny if it's true. I haven't paid an once of attention to the future regarding this virus. Just gotta take things day-by-day.

It's another day with very low new cases. 7-day rolling average of new cases back to late June levels.

all great news. let's keep it up!