• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 1/18/07 (night)

bvibert

Staff member
Date(s) Skied: 1/18/07

Resort or Ski Area: Ski Sundown

Conditions: freash 'pow' to hard-pack in some spots

Trip Report: I was able to get out for a couple of hours after work last night. There was a dusting of snow at the mountain by the time I got there and it continued to snow on and off for the rest of the night. The snow didn't really amount to anything more than a thin covering, but it sure was nice to see! The new snow mixed in with the man-made quite nicely and made for some nice skiing in churned up pow like snow on the sides of the trails, while the middles of most trails were scraped off by the time I got out at 7:30pm. The exception there was, surprisingly, Exhibition which had good coverage all over with only a few small scratchy spots. The racing kids were practicing on Temtor so I stayed off of it until they were done. Stinger didn't look all that hot from the lift so I stuck to Canyon and Nor'Easter. Nor'Easter being the better of the two, I stuck to that for a bunch of runs. Once I saw them clearing the gates off of Temptor I headed over there for a run, but there was more loose stuff to play in on the side of Nor'Easter so I went back to laps over there with a couple more diversions to Temptor. At 9:51pm, on my second to last run, I decided to hit Stinger since most of the park rats had gone home. I wished I had tried it earlier, lots of fun to be had skiers right! Ended up making that my last run as well. I didn't make it over to the learning area, but everything was open over there and I assume the conditions were similar to the rest of the mountain. They had all 5 lifts running until they closed lift 2 at around 7:00pm when the school groups started heading home.

There was a TON of snow blown on Gunbarrel, I don't see them having any trouble opening it today after they spread out all the huge snow-making piles. It looked like they were working on getting Tom's Treat going too, which means they're close to 100% open

Last edited:

loafer89

Thanks for the report, I have all of my gear in the car and have to decide to go to Sundown or Wachusett this evening before the winds kick up. I would really like to ski Gunbarrel so I may end up skiing Sundown.

CjS

Website
www.cj-stout.com
New to the forums here, howdy all.

Sundown is sounding pretty good now, last i heard it was a mud pit lol. Thanks for the report!

I've never been to Wachusett before, how is it up there compared to CT mountains? I just started riding last season so all i really know is Mohawk, Sundown, Butternut and Catamount. Im always looking for more mountains to ride since i hate crowds, it gives me more options.

Ill be going to Mohawk tomorrow morning hopefully. Im thinking conditions will be decent now with this cold weather that has moved in finally.

bvibert

Staff member

CjS

Website
www.cj-stout.com
I updated my info, ill have an avatar soon too. i actually live in Torrington also. I made my introduction too, thanks for the help and info :)