• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown - 3/20

Greg

Staff member
Got to the mountain around 1:00 pm to ski with the girls. A spectacular day at the Institution. Bluebird and low 40's. Corn snow. Took about two runs alone with the girls and the rest with Brian and his 3 1/2 year old. madriverjack and buddy Frank were inattendance. Towards the end of the day all the kids were ripping Stinger and Temptor. severine then watched the kids, and Brian and I took one more celebratory run on the Gunny bumps.

Finished out the day over beers with severine and MogulQueen, just relaxing and enjoying the sun. When lift one stopped, the deck crowd cheered. Then another cheer for patrol after the sweep. Somehow it seemed like everyone had a feeling there might be one more weekend left in them. By the end of the afternoon, Bob S was passing out pitchers of beer. Nice way to end the Sundown season............maybe (although definitely for me).

wa-loaf

Closing? Looks like plenty of snow in all the recent reports.

2knees

bummed i couldnt be there but my kids really wanted to do other things today. another great spring season on gunny even if it was only a week.

so it did soften up today though right? talked to jack around noon and he was hanging out waiting for the sun to do its thing.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Closing? Looks like plenty of snow in all the recent reports.

Plenty of snow--more than last year at this time--but nobody's coming out to ski it.

There is a slight chance they'll re-open next weekend, but it's nice to go out on a good note. Today was definitely that!

Greg

Staff member
bummed i couldnt be there but my kids really wanted to do other things today. another great spring season on gunny even if it was only a week.

so it did soften up today though right? talked to jack around noon and he was hanging out waiting for the sun to do its thing.

He said it took til almost 2 pm to get decent. Totally soft for Brian and my run around 4:25. I think there's on more weekend left if they really want it. The mountain has plenty of snow. The base had held up great, not a marsh like this time last year. Hardly a brown spot on Ex. Big piles on Stinger. Gunny is buried. Ledge is well covered again. One visible hole from the base (skier's right lower line below the jump, same one from earlier this week). Another hole right before the upper right jump. The rest of the bumps remain clean. They could totally get in another day next weekend, granted with a few holes and grass skiing just like 2 years ago. I hope you get another weekend on Gunny.

Greg

Staff member
wow, we lucked out yesterday then. no way i hit those jumps if it was still firm for the comp. i'm a p***y.

No doubt.

Well, Back to work tomorrow (but just three days :) ). Today ends an epic run at the Institution, skiing 8 out of the last 9 days. I will take this same week off next season, no doubt.

gmcunni

sad that another season at Sundown comes to a close but unlike last year i have no problem letting go. full satisfied with my season at the institution.

planb420

Sitting on 61 days for the season with 59 of them at the institution I can also let it go today without to much of a fight...hope its not done yet though! Had fun today and will be hiking the remains until its all gone! :)

bvibert

Staff member
Good day to end my Sundown season for sure! The hill is still in awesome shape! I'm very happy my wife was nice enough to watch the kids so Greg and I could make one final run down Gunny. That and seeing my kids ski really well (including a couple of black diamond trails for the first time), not to mention the fantastic weather, made for a really good day for me. I'm glad we finally got the kids together on the slopes Greg, we'll definitely have to do more of that next season. We'll start our own kids freestyle program if the mountain doesn't... ;)

I have a feeling they're going to go for it next weekend, but I won't be around to see it if they do. On one hand it's kind of a bummer that I won't be there for the last weekend, but on the other I'll be at Sugarloaf so I guess its kind of a wash..

If they do throw in the towel for the season then my kids and I were of the last people to ski down for the 10/11 season... :D

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
If they do throw in the towel for the season then my kids and I were of the last people to ski down for the 10/11 season... :D
If they don't, does that mean I have to aim for that next weekend?

I am so impressed by the little rippers we have growing into their own at Sundown!

bvibert

Staff member
If they don't, does that mean I have to aim for that next weekend?

I am so impressed by the little rippers we have growing into their own at Sundown!

Yes! Convince my wife too. ;)

That would be really cool in our absence! They're both independent enough that you could handle them on your own. Ethan just needs help getting onto and off of the chair.

o3jeff

Sorry I couldn't make it, but the kids had a church activity to go to so I headed out for another road bike ride!

If they open next week I plan on being there.

bvibert

Staff member
Looks like a pow day at the institution right now

steveo

Hell yeah! :beer:

If we get more snow than rain this week I think a reopening is a good chance! I hope so for all the Sundowners not going to Sugarloaf! :spread:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Anybody want to meet up Friday at the Loaf to ski? I know many of you folks have a ways to travel for the weekend festivities. I'll probably be rolling in around 9am and plan of skiing most of the day.
You might get further by including this in the Sugarloaf thread in the Trips & Events forum. They probably won't be looking here for plans for that trip. ;)