• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski technique

Edd

So I hit Waterville today for the first time (day 26). It's damn cold (too cold to even talk on the lift...masks were mandatory) but I'm dressed right, grooving to my mp3 player, when I start to pay some close attention to the skiing styles of the people around me.

Remember the recent thread about "wigglers"? I guess I try to adhere to that type of form when possible; upper body quiet and facing the fall line, poles in front and planting, feet pretty close. Sometimes I rock it, sometimes I suck.

Alot of skiers do a racing style...feet kind of wide, upper body not facing the fall line but instead always in the same direction of the ski tips, wide turns, poles low, behind, and dragging. A large percentage of these folks are on midfats.

You might think "well, those people are racers or ex-racers, and they ski that way racing or not." That may be, but I've been seeing ALOT of these folks. There aren't that many racers.

Are lessons for recreational skiing leaning in this direction nowadays? My last lesson was many years ago, and God knows I'm behind the times. Any thoughts on this?

Dr Skimeister

This may be changing the subject, but after reading the initial post in this thread I started to wonder about what percentage of skiers or riders learned to slide the "right" way, having taken lessons or at least being taught by someone who did know how to teach someone else to ski or ride. As opposed to the percentage of people that either learned to ski by doing it until they fell down less.

My guess is that the majority never really learned the correct technique, but just perfected whatever worked for them to not fall as much.

Edd

I should have mentioned that many of these skiers looked pretty good. In control, on their edges. This is a personal preference but I shy away from huge turns. I'm just worried about who is coming up behind me like a freakin cruise missile and I ski right in their line. I keep my lines somewhat tight.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Racers still keep their upper body square to the fall line and generally don't ski they way you're describing. Those people may be trying their best to imitate, but it's a poor substitute. Ask Steve (Riverc0il). He used to race.

wa-loaf

Racers still keep their upper body square to the fall line and generally don't ski they way you're describing. Those people may be trying their best to imitate, but it's a poor substitute.

What he said.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I think that not keeping the upper body square to the fall line is perhaps the number one reason many people have a hard time advancing. I know that I screw that up when doing bumps sometimes. There are volumes written on this and you have to find a way to make it happen in general. I try to think of myself being towed down the mountain on with a water ski boat going straight down the fall line and I'm making turns from the waist down. As people, especially learners, get a little nervous, you will see the hands head uphill-it's almost a defensive posture to protect the face I think.

Edd

So nobody thinks instructors are teaching this stuff to these guys? I mean, seriously, the number of people skiing this way are stunning. The next day you're on the slopes...watch.

campgottagopee

Carving is being taught by instructors. in order to carve you really need to have a wider stance so that's why you're seeing what you are. But the good ones will still always be square to the fall line.

BlakeT

Ski Technique

Guys, the mechanics of skiing are the same for racers as they are for the general public.
Racers do use some finesse tricks to coax more speed but the basics are the same. Shaped skis are made to carve and a wider stance is needed to do this, the basic move comes from the knees and ankles and leave the core (upper body) quiet. Think of it as moving your skies under your upper body not the other way around. Flex the knee to activate the skis shovel and roll the ankle to bring the skis up on edge. You should feel your shin pressing the tounge of the boot. Hold the edge until you complete the turn then release and move directly into the next turn.

Try it you'll like it.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Alot of skiers do a racing style...feet kind of wide, upper body not facing the fall line but instead always in the same direction of the ski tips, wide turns, poles low, behind, and dragging. A large percentage of these folks are on midfats.
That is not racing style. Racing style squares your upper body to the fall line, knees bent but not body bent low, and poles definitely not dragging. Racers also have a pretty keen angulation of the knees/legs. What you describe is more akin to the lazy linked parallel turn, often times people think this is called "carving" but they are missing some components.

Good technique begins the same no matter if you are a recreational skier, carver, racer, powder whore, tree skier, or a bumper. Square up the shoulders to the fall line coupled with vertical and horizontal alignment. Recreational skiers should focus on an athletic stance with feet apart rather than together if you are looking to get away from being a wiggler. You will probably find you have more control.... once you have adopted the proper stance and posture.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
So nobody thinks instructors are teaching this stuff to these guys? I mean, seriously, the number of people skiing this way are stunning. The next day you're on the slopes...watch.
I don't think instructors are teaching this... I think people are not taking enough lessons to improve beyond a competent point. Most people don't care to ski more than at a competent level, though, and lessons are pretty darned expensive on top of everything else.

tmcc71

i'm with you

I was the one who started the wigler thread. It is still a raging debate but i still prefer a closer stance. i have tried the wider stance and I still feel like i'm in a wedge. I know it's how people are being taught but I just cant get used to it

jack97

...feet kind of wide, upper body not facing the fall line but instead always in the same direction of the ski tips, wide turns, poles low, behind, and dragging. A large percentage of these folks are on midfats.

I notice same in general; wide stance, upper body facing the direction of the tips and the poling. I think the upper body thing during a medium to large radius turn is a point of contention. Not sure about this, the advocates of keeping the upper body facing the tips believe that this would ensure a clean entry into the transition (of the turn) and to engage the edge of the new dh ski. 4-5 season back, up at Cannon, I saw a clinic leader showing this type of turn, the guy was doing this with so much ease on avalanche when it had hardpack and loose granular.

Edd

That is not racing style. Racing style squares your upper body to the fall line, knees bent but not body bent low, and poles definitely not dragging. Racers also have a pretty keen angulation of the knees/legs. What you describe is more akin to the lazy linked parallel turn, often times people think this is called "carving" but they are missing some components.

Good technique begins the same no matter if you are a recreational skier, carver, racer, powder whore, tree skier, or a bumper. Square up the shoulders to the fall line coupled with vertical and horizontal alignment. Recreational skiers should focus on an athletic stance with feet apart rather than together if you are looking to get away from being a wiggler. You will probably find you have more control.... once you have adopted the proper stance and posture.

Quasi-racing style. How's that?

wa-loaf

Quasi-racing style. How's that?

No not even close. That's like comparing the Gaper tucking down a blue trail in a wedge with his poles straight up in the air to a downhiller. :smash:

wa-loaf

I notice same in general; wide stance, upper body facing the direction of the tips and the poling. I think the upper body thing during a medium to large radius turn is a point of contention. Not sure about this, the advocates of keeping the upper body facing the tips believe that this would ensure a clean entry into the transition (of the turn) and to engage the edge of the new dh ski. 4-5 season back, up at Cannon, I saw a clinic leader showing this type of turn, the guy was doing this with so much ease on avalanche when it had hardpack and loose granular.

Who advocates this? :blink: I don't think anyone is teaching this. No matter what kind of turn you are making, it's important to keep your upper body squared to the fall line. You guys are just spotting beginning and intermediate skiers with bad form.

Mildcat

Watch the steeper sections. You see half the people skidding out at the end of the turns. That's because they're not keeping their upper bodies square to the fall line. If you turn your upper body your tails will skid out on the steeper sections.

Mildcat

No not even close. That's like comparing the Gaper tucking down a blue trail in a wedge with his poles straight up in the air to a downhiller. :smash:

I hope you didn't get pictures of me doing that. :wink: