• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

skibum9995 hikes the AT

Mike P.

Great job skibum9995. Are are going to get to Harper's Ferry for trail Days? Beer is cheap in Duncannon, PA too!

skibum9995

I am currently in Waynesboro, VA, 850.5 miles into the trip. The weather has been hot lately, but is cooling down a bit. I will be entering Shenandoah National Park tomorrow. It will be nice to hike on some easier terrain after a tough week full of big climbs. I should be out of Virginia in just under a week and am gearing up for the four state challenge from the Virginia - West Virginia Border to the Maryland - Pennsylvania border covering 43.5 miles. After that it will be PA for a few weeks. I'm having tons of fun and trying to beat the heat.

Pictures will be up shortly.

skibum9995

Sweet pix, dude! Did that poor motel room ever recover?
:)
Doubtful, that was night 1 of 8 in a row in motel rooms. Friends of the guys I'm hiking with came down to visit and when they left my parents and brother came down so its been a nice stretch of polls and town food. Back into the woods in a few hours though.

Skier75

Very nice pics! I'm soo jealous, I wanna quit my job a go do the AT! ;) Ya, like that's gonna happen. :(

So what kind of snakes were those? I'd be a little leary of them..... That was quite interesting, the snake eating the mouse....

Looks like your having a good trip, keep it up!

skibum9995

Currently in Front Royal VA and will be passing the 1000 mile point in a couple days. We have been having lots of afternoon thunderstorms lately but the temps have dropped. I looking forward to get out of VA and hit the halfway point in southern PA in about a week or so.

Currently in Front Royal VA and will be passing the 1000 mile point in a couple days. We have been having lots of afternoon thunderstorms lately but the temps have dropped. I looking forward to get out of VA and hit the halfway point in southern PA in about a week or so.

Wow your getting closer to GSS-land..I live 17 miles south of the Appalachian trail where it crosses Little Gap..a little bit north of the Lehigh Gap and a little bit south of the Deleware Water Gap.

skibum9995

I'm currently in Lickdale, PA, 1170 miles into the trip. After tomorrow I will have less than 1000 miles to go. We have been getting lots of afternoon thunderstorms lately, so being wet for a few hours has become normal. It usually feels nice to cool off after a long day of hiking. I'll be heading into Port Clinton, PA on the 4th, hoping to catch some firewoks. It'll be nice to get further north and into some cooler weather soon.

Skier75

Glad to hear your doing well, keep it up. Pics, want to see more pics. ;)

Cooler weather, eh? Well you'll have to see how much cooler. I bet compared to down south, it'll feel cooler, but it has been a little warm around here. Mostly muggy and humid. The range has been between low 70's to high 80's daytime, but the evening been cooling down some into the low 50's at night, but that's here in southeast NH, along with afternoon thunderstorms. Yesterday there was some hail the size of a nickel in Concord, NH. Crazy weather.

Well have fun while you can and stay safe.

skibum9995

50s sounds great. It has been a bit cooler lately, I even had to use my sleeping bag a few nights ago. I'm now in Unionville, NY, at some guys house. He invited a bunch of hikers to his house for the night as we were loitering around outside the convience store. I've been doing big miloes lately as the terrain has been pretty flat, but boring. I should make it into CT in 6 days, It'll be nice to be into New England.

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Hey, you haven't told us your trail name yet ... what were you christened?

And by chance did you bump into Hot Cheese and Birdbath? They've just entered NJ so you would have passed them (though they had to go off-trail for a wedding, so you might have missed outright).