• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiers wearing snowboarding gear?

FRITOLAYGUY

I have never snowboarded i dont have any desire to however my pants have always been burton and i just found a jacket 70percent off brand new in florida thats burton for my ski trip. What is everyones stance if any on this, i dont think someone is gonna come up to me and say dude wtf why are u skiing wearing gear from a company that has made it pretty obvious they dont like skiing. I think theres a better chance of a kid saying nice threads just make sure your mad steezy on the hill with them on. None of us seem to have problems wearing oakley goggles, anon etc, at the same time i dont think ive seen but maybe a few boarders wearing a columbia or northface jacket. Should i have bought a jacket that relates to skiing so i support the sport i actually do, or is whats comfortable most important? I am 6ft2, 230, snowboard gear seems less restrictive to me so thats why i wear it, thoughts??

witch hobble

Try to transcend. Elevate your consciousness to a sane level where brands don't matter. What kind of clothing do you think Jake Burton was wearing when he first started snowboarding?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I owned Burton pants for years to wear skiing. I wouldn't object to purchasing another pair.

Smellytele

If it is comfortable, keeps me dry and warm I don't care who's name is on the tag. Loyalty only goes as far as who has the best deal for what they offer.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pretty much agree that if it works for you who cares. Burton makes some good clothing actually and I know lots of folks who wear Burton stuff and ski. I don't really notice.

Mpdsnowman

Well I snowboard lol..and I wear a ski jacket lol.

The interesting thing to me being a snowboarder (and skier for 25 years prior) is that you have the one name in snowboarding gear/equipment that is known by snowboarders for being a newbie type or / "poser" as we say line.

The thing I would find interesting again from the snowboard perspective would be the contrast if you will for that fact that your on skis yet wearing Burton. My assumption (and not that it would matter) would be perhaps you do snowboard too...or you just started to take it up and someone bought you that gear because they went to the skl shop with limited knowledge and the store clerk sold the Burton line....That happens all the time...

Btw their gear and equipment is fine! Burton always did make quality products and due to them being the initial icon in that industry, they have been known as I describe above and have become stereotypical to some.

Should it bother you?? hell no, if you like the stuff and your comfortable you can even use the clothing sledding on the local hill for that matter.

But it wouldnt shock me if some young kid friendly mentioned it say if they saw you in line...But only because of the name. If you had say "ride pants or an off brand like "Impulse" it would be mostly un noticed but Burton draws the name to snowboarding so.....

As the season progresses, check back and let us know if anyone said or says anything...would be interesting. Ive always enjoyed the cross winter enthusiast stereotypes particularly since I am more or less both lol...

But your fine...alls good, like everyone above said, no biggie, rock on.

skiNEwhere

I could care less, and I'm sure Burton does too when they get your money, regardless of what they say

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Funny I was just having this conversation with my wife who is looking for a new jacket also. We were looking online and she saw some snowboard style jackets she liked ... and she asked if that was ok considering she skis.

I did read that snowboarding gear is typically more baggy because greater articulation is required, but I don't know if that is really true. Also, aren't snowboard pants more waterproof ( and thus less breathable) since you spend more time sitting on the snow?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Gnarcissaro

Doesn't matter. Just don't be that idiot caught talking trash about snowboarding wearing Burton gear, not a good look.

Smelly, I see far more bros in tall tees on skis than snowboard. Worst style on the hill, either way.

FRITOLAYGUY

I personally think snowboard jackets are more stylish than your typical 3 in 1 shell jacket but thats just me, i should have just bought a patagonia or bogner jacket but then id probably be portrayed as a vail/aspen skier i guess you just cant win

HowieT2

This is a joke, right?I wear burton pants to ski. Liked the pockets. Whatever.

Bene288

I just got a pair of Burton pants this season. Best pair I've ever owned. Who cares what brand they are, as long as they for you right.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I personally think snowboard jackets are more stylish than your typical 3 in 1 shell jacket but thats just me, i should have just bought a patagonia or bogner jacket but then id probably be portrayed as a vail/aspen skier i guess you just cant win

Hey, nothing wrong with Patagonia! :)

〽❄❅

Some of the Burton prints i see are crazy cool, although i'd imagine a bit of a challenge to match outfits without a in house stylist, lol.
My problem for skiing in their pants is the wide legs cover 90% of my 25.5 ski boots, would flop around allot and zippered seam on the inside where skis tend to slash up. I do like that Burton offers a short 29" inseam option on their size medium pants, unlike most all ski pants standard 31" or 32" inseam for a mens medium which on me look like i'm sporting old man sacs hanging from my knees! Their Jackets are another story, cut to long for me to want but i always find myself drawn to them when i see 'em on the racks because of the wild prints and color combos.
I will say the quality of their AK stuff looks pretty darn good to me. If the snowboard brand clothing fit the way i like and offered the technical performance i'm looking for i wouldn't have any problem wearing it.