• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiers wearing snowboarding gear?

millerm277

Burton makes a nice mid-weight thermal shirt. I pick up one a year or so when they go on sale for $20. Hold up for years, makes a nice layer or just shirt to wear on cold days.

Mpdsnowman

And Burton is "poser" gear? I never would have guessed that being from Vermont.
Within snowboarders this is a common stereotype. Burton being the main name (and being a worldwide value) it has taken some of that flack. Again it means nothing but within the snowboarder world it is as described and viewed that way by many.

Ive always contributed the bagginess as stereotyping too. It doesnt serve much more purpose than that. Example: Shaun White and his new skinny jeans he rides with. No bagginess at all...

They do make some neat designs and yes snowboard pants and jackets are different particularly with designs.

Ok all this talk is jonesing me..The mountains in my area are finally opening. Im behind my 50 day season so I better get going lol...

Now where is that apex jacket lol.

Cheese

I like the extra pockets in snowboard pants but unfortunately all the varieties I've seen don't have the reinforced area at the inside ankle to prevent ski edges from slicing through the material. If I wasn't so rough on pants in that particular area, I'd be wearing boarder pants.

Snowboard gear definitely seems to be more baggy but I'm going to assume that doesn't matter. I've watched plenty of skiers and riders with their pants nearly around their knees in the park performing things far more difficult than I'm doing on or off trail with more form fitting apparel.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
. Example: Shaun White and his new skinny jeans he rides with. No bagginess at all...

You know, I'm typically a live and let live kinda of guy and don't care much about what others perceive as fashionable, but Shaun looks like a massive tool wearing those pants.

bdfreetuna

I had a Burton jacket the last couple years. I grew out of the style, thought it was too flashy. Got a more "normal" jacket for this season which I guess is a ski jacket.

Makes no difference though I think ski / snowboard clothes are mostly interchangeable. Just depends what style you're into.

SnowRock

Burton AK stuff is solid.. I can't speak to the quality of their regular line as I haven't worn anything from them in a while. I think over the past few years you have seen a blurring of styles from ski and snowboard companies. Some of the ski stuff of late seems to be built even baggier then snowboard gear used to be.

When I was a younging and first started riding I tried to stay "core" and would only rock gear form snowboard companies but as I got a little older I completely grew out of that. Don't know why it would matter. Most of my regular gear is from more ski focused companies at the moment, jacket is TNF, pants Mt Hardware and mittens OR.

C-Rex

These days ski and snowboard stuff is pretty much the same. It used to be that snowboard stuff was much baggier, and came in more wild prints, but I think the ski industry has pretty much caught up in those respects.

pmb

I see teens wear snowboard clothes all the time skiing. I even saw a ski instructor wearing burton pants with his school jacket. Everyone knows snowboard gear is way more stylish.

ERJ-145CA

I was wearing my Drop gloves while skiing today, warmest gloves I ever had. Drop is a snowboarding apparel company.

deadheadskier

Staff member
〽❄❅;744480 said:

Kind of weird for me to look at that picture. I have the exact same hair color as Shaun and wore it that length back when I was his age. I don't have many pictures of me from that time frame of my life, and the ones I do have are with my hair pulled back. When I wore it down though, I looked pretty much exactly like the flying tomato. I'm sure if I was the best freestyle skier or snowboarder in the world at that time and had a manager and companies paying me to wear that crap, I would've been all for looking like a tool myself. :lol:

Mpdsnowman

You know, I'm typically a live and let live kinda of guy and don't care much about what others perceive as fashionable, but Shaun looks like a massive tool wearing those pants.

Lol yea that actually was a common statement when he first came out with them lol. It actually made the baggy stuff look...normal lol...

Morwax

I wear a mishmash of whats comfortable, what works and what I could afford at the time. This includes two pairs of Burton pants, leather polaris snowmobile gloves and Allsop poles from the 80's with moulded shock absorber grips. If you care about what others are wearing or if they care about what your wearing, you have missed the point of sliding down a mountain.. Peace:grin:

Morwax

Oh I would like if the pants were not soooo long. Its getting hard to find "SKI" pants.

〽❄❅

Allsop poles from the 80's with moulded shock absorber grips
My all time favorites, still use them too!

Oh I would like if the pants were not soooo long. Its getting hard to find "SKI" pants.
Seriously, WTF's up with that? The regulars seem ok in the fitting room in socks, till i suit up with ski boots to find i look like i've elephant sack's hanging from my knees!