• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing and Boarding Run tracker Apps. What works? What Sucks? Whats New?

MidnightJester

Ski and Boarding Run tracker Apps. What works? What Sucks? Whats New?

The one that I used to use for a few seasons "ALLSNOW" seems down and gone and I use Trace Snow occasionaly.
Which apps are to be skipped and avoided? Free is best if that is a option. Prefer runs overlayed on a real google map of the Ski area so can find missed areas and Gladed tree run access points.

Best snowhunting this season to all :)

Last edited:

skef

I use Ski Tracks. I don’t have big demands, but it does do that Google Map overlay you want, and more. It was free when I got it; I notice there’s now a Lite version, too.
0EBDEBBC-A0AE-4440-A3CD-9ACE52858DF6.jpeg847525D3-F0E1-40B1-8485-4C03B8E989D4.png320E9082-CA3F-4F6B-B9F4-F951CD01CD8C.png

da-bum

I use to use Trace Snow also, but wasn't able to login with my new phone. So on my first day skiing this season, I logged my day with Trace Snow (on my old phone), Ski Tracks and Ski Tracker. I couldn't upload to Trace Snow at the end of the day. Ski Tracker's run count and vertical feet was way off, and it restarted a new session when I went into the app during lunch. It doesn't require a login, thus data are stored on the phone. Ski Tracks seems to be most accurate, but it auto-paused during lunch and didn't resume on it own. It has a login, but I don't know if it uploads the data or have a web portal to view your data in more detail like Trace Snow. I couldn't login to their website with my app login, so I don't know why they would have a web portal login.

MidnightJester

So since a little time has past lets see where our skiing and boarding snow lovers are with what they are using to track their on mountain snow performance and stats. These are the apps I see mentioned the most. Talk about the Good the Bad if you know?

Trace snow (Dead for regular tracking on mountains) *avoid*

Ski Tracks
Ski Tracker "I am using it currently" (for free or only $2.00 lifetime upgrade seems to show great tracking and map detail)
Slopes
Fatmap "just started using" (Seems less for tracking stats but amazing for finding and plotting off listed trails and entrance drop-in's for freeriding spots on & near ski mountains) Best detail of maps it seems. "have only been using the Free version"

Has anyone used multiple apps on their phone at once and compared the features and details??

Last edited:

jimmywilson69

I use Slopes. They are still trying to get the Android app working consistently. My buddy uses slopes and loves it on Apple. with the latest update, Slopes seems to be working pretty well though on Android!. its a bit steep per year ($25), but its a dude from Philly who's just trying to make it. I think he's finally working with an actual developer or 2 so I'd rather help out a small guy. plus I ski enough to warrant that cost.

ThatGuy

I use Slopes, its a pretty good app plus the UI is nice.
Skitracks seems to be the best for no frills recording.
I prefer Slopes because it syncs the pictures I took that day and I can write a description of how the day was and what conditions were like.
Never paid for it yet and its my 3rd season using it so the free version is valid. Major thing you miss out on not paying are the 3D maps.

telemike

Used to use Trace, and it was great, but it went away. Now I use We Ski.

da-bum

I usually run many ski tracker apps at the same time on my Android phone when I ski.

Ski Tracks - it usually adds one extra run due to my walk up the hill from the lodge to the lift. Now I start the app once I am on the lift line. It doesn't allow for uploading of pictures unless it is taken via the app, and if you take a picture through the app, the picture only exist in their cloud, not accessible any other way. I export the GPX to Strava.
Ski Tracker - stopped using it due to its inaccuracy. I examined the GPX file and it seem to sample the GPS data every 3 seconds, which is way to long. I think it sucks up alot of battery too.
Strava - relatively accurate, but the run count is way off. Sessions that were exported to Strava also has their run count changed. Speed, altitude are also changed slightly.
Fitbit - I use it because it also tracks my heartrate and my calorie count. The watch uses the phone's GPS signal while running. It rounds off the speed too much, with maybe a 5 sec moving average, so it never captures the "at the moment" speed. It also auto-exports to Strava.
EpicMix - tried their GPS tracking. It only tracks vertical feet. Never got a day of tracking that was accurate. Also, their runs based on RFID reading is spotty since the RFID reader right above the lift gates are frequently not working. I kept it running in the foreground once and it used up 500MB of my phone's data in one session, so best to set up your phone to limit background data on it.

I was going to bring my bike computer to test it, since connects with my HR strap (Strava would too). Its speed measurement is quite instantanious, but that's with a wheel speed sensor.

I want to capture the true speed, as opposed to being calculated based on change in position between the 2 GPS sample points. If one makes GS turns, the 2 points could be 40% less than the actual speed. Speed measurement that approaches true speed might only be achieved if you straightline down a run.

MidnightJester

da-bum said:
I usually run many ski tracker apps at the same time on my Android phone when I ski.

So I have noticed that some apps track your friends locations(not too important to me but to a family possibly), others track your runs better. Using multiple allows you to coordinate amongst the apps with issues or positives if similar to choose one over the other for issues(some issues are phone caused & some by buggy programs till updates). I definitely see combining at least one tracking app for your stats and a better detailed map app for route finding and snow freeriding mountains with better routes plotted

So off hand I have noticed that at least one of the (***tracking*** apps) Numbers your lift rides up and I think numbers the runs in order that you do them in? on the map that you paint with what you have done.

SkiTracks $1.49(google),1.99(apple) (no longer free I think)
Ski Tracker $Free and $1.99(lifetime and worth it for better details if you go off trail)
Slopes $free??? + ???
Fatmap $Free + $29.99 yearly upgrade for (more snow features + full offline map downloads showing all trails not just one route *I think*)???
EpicMix "seems to not work great" and doesn't work anywhere epic isnt (Is this correct)???

***Fatmap*** seems to be the fastest way to learn entrances to regular & hidden glades and freeriding terrain. Takes you to the more proper entrances(might save injury or death) and areas with some descriptions of the routes and terrain ahead of your planned run(One of a kind that I have seen) for ski mountains. Its like a good local guiding you in your pocket giving you hidden gems and warnings

Anyone using these apps or others please fill in anything that makes them different or error prone if you have tried more then one? Correct me if I mentioned anything wrong.

Best Snow-hunting to all,
MidnightJester

Last edited:

da-bum

As said earlier, not every app have every feature. Plus, its kind of for redundancy, some app just stops in the middle without notice, while others like Fitbit is used for the overall fitness aspect. I still haven't seen any that does heat map for speed like Trace Snow. I consolidate it all to Strava and keep maybe 2 of them. Strava supposedly has all these algorithms that correct errant speed, like Trace Snow did, but not as good.

EpicMix is clunky and unreliable, and only usable in their mountains. It records your run count regardless if you have the app or not. I just tried the GPS recording feature out of curiosity, since it just gives a summary of your day. But I use it to look at lift line wait times (don't know if it is crowd-sourced and/or based on their RFID-reader, which sometimes are not functioning, or based on RFID hand scanners), which trails are open (not always accurate), and cafeteria reservation. I was once waited in the front of the line for the lift to open and it recorded that I did 3 runs during that 15 minutes.

Zermatt

As said earlier, not every app have every feature. Plus, its kind of for redundancy, some app just stops in the middle without notice, while others like Fitbit is used for the overall fitness aspect. I still haven't seen any that does heat map for speed like Trace Snow. I consolidate it all to Strava and keep maybe 2 of them. Strava supposedly has all these algorithms that correct errant speed, like Trace Snow did, but not as good.

EpicMix is clunky and unreliable, and only usable in their mountains. It records your run count regardless if you have the app or not. I just tried the GPS recording feature out of curiosity, since it just gives a summary of your day. But I use it to look at lift line wait times (don't know if it is crowd-sourced and/or based on their RFID-reader, which sometimes are not functioning, or based on RFID hand scanners), which trails are open (not always accurate), and cafeteria reservation. I was once waited in the front of the line for the lift to open and it recorded that I did 3 runs during that 15 minutes.
What happens if you ski and it doesn't get recorded? Does it not count? Do you lose out on social credits?

The more accurate way to track your skiing is to use a high quality GPS watch, like a Garmin then upload that to Strava if you think Strava has some special sauce. Phone based apps suck at this.

MidnightJester

What happens if you ski and it doesn't get recorded? Does it not count? Do you lose out on social credits?

The more accurate way to track your skiing is to use a high quality GPS watch, like a Garmin then upload that to Strava if you think Strava has some special sauce. Phone based apps suck at this.
Personally for me It has almost zero to do with social credit and 100% to do with finding the best trails, trees/glades and freeriding. Especially after riding for the day to go back and understand some of the areas you explored and how you got there and to get back in the future. To have a on the fly(stop on the side) update of where you are on a mountain to get to a specific trail, area or lift (almost every mountains online map loads like crap) and for sure most don't show you on the map

As to the phone apps accuracy.
With "Ski tracker" Out of 10 Vermont mountain trips it crashed only once and restarted fine. As to accuracy it was near 100% tracking with my routes, trails and trees I rode and to the maps of the Ski mountains and resorts as well as surrounding areas it is 100% with trails shown especially with the google map overlays.

Last edited:

da-bum

If I don't record every second of my life, I cease to exist ;). JK.... I use to just record with Trace Snow, where I can also login to their web portal to look at detailed analysis of each run. It was after that app was discontinued that I started using a whole bunch of other ways to record in order to see which is the best. I dropped some, and likely will drop EpicMix (they only got it up and running in mid winter that is why it is probably buggy).