• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing/Boarding all by yer lonesome

KustyTheKlown

i'll remember this the next time I am skiing the church alone.

lap 1 - descend and set up remote access tripod camera.
lap 2 - shred it hard and click that remote thru the descent.

selfish - one of the best parts of skiing with friends is having pictures of myself skiing.

I do take pics of gnar and post them here after I ski alone. I like the pics so much better when its of me, or at least of a friend, actually riding the terrain.

cdskier

i'll remember this the next time I am skiing the church alone.

lap 1 - descend and set up remote access tripod camera.
lap 2 - shred it hard and click that remote thru the descent.

selfish - one of the best parts of skiing with friends is having pictures of myself skiing.

I do take pics of gnar and post them here after I ski alone. I like the pics so much better when its of me, or at least of a friend, actually riding the terrain.

Hah...I have very few pictures of me skiing because I'm always the one with the camera even when I'm with other people.

Jcb890

Hah...I have very few pictures of me skiing because I'm always the one with the camera even when I'm with other people.
Same here.

Most of my photos are either of the terrain itself or of my wife doing some riding... because she's not with me on the more gnarly stuff and honestly, I'm really proud of some of the stuff she's done. I know I taught her how to do what she's doing, I'm the one helping her progress, etc.

Sometimes it is a bore or a chore to slow down or wait, but I'll take that over riding alone all the time and not having someone to share the rides and good times with.

The only photos I get of myself are the ones by the professionals that camp out on the mountain/trail and charge a fortune for them. Those are cool too though... except when you are actually TRYING to get them to take your photo and they keep ignoring you run after run, that is quite annoying.

gmcunni

i dislike skiing alone. i *really* dislike driving 2+ hours each way to the mountain alone. having just moved to a new location i don't have any ski friends and my kids are barely around. i am adjusting but it is hard to get motivated sometimes to head out on my own.

mbedle

I am about 50/50 on skiing alone or with people. I really enjoy the solitude of skiing alone, plus I find that I am more open to talk to other people when I am skiing by myself.

Jcb890

i dislike skiing alone. i *really* dislike driving 2+ hours each way to the mountain alone. having just moved to a new location i don't have any ski friends and my kids are barely around. i am adjusting but it is hard to get motivated sometimes to head out on my own.
That was easily the worst part of my Monday, driving up to and back from Loon solo (2 hrs 15 mins each way).

I have no friends who ride either, but 1 of my brothers rides, so we get to sync up and that's always a good time... except he's using the Peak Pass and refuses to go anywhere other than Mt. Snow... so there's other issues involved too! He won't even go to Wildcat because "the drive is too far!". Fcking whiners.

Funky_Catskills

I ride a couple times a week on my own. I sneak out for lunch and don't socialize.. Get a couple hours in and get back to work..
I love it. I just do a bunch of - top to bottoms....
Makes my afternoon of work better too.

KustyTheKlown

ha, I actually kind of enjoy the driving alone. weird, right? it's the only time I can listen to a full show (jamband fan here, listens to concert recordings for the most part), or a full podcast in one sitting. driving is pretty zen and I can dig it for 4-6 hours at a time.

Jcb890

ha, I actually kind of enjoy the driving alone. weird, right? it's the only time I can listen to a full show (jamband fan here, listens to concert recordings for the most part), or a full podcast in one sitting. driving is pretty zen and I can dig it for 4-6 hours at a time.
I can see it and understand it. It can be peaceful to be alone in the car. I think it depends on the roads and scenery too.

I can do a podcast or an audiobook for long stretches. Audiobooks are great for that.

Music bores me after long enough even though I like a wide range and listen to different genres. Listening to multiple hours of jamband music would honestly make me want to drive the car into a bridge, but we all have our own tastes. I'd be happy to share a chair/run with you KTK, but I don't think we can make a 4-6 hour car ride together. :razz:

cdskier

Yea, driving alone doesn't really bother me either. Sometimes if I'm tired it is nice to have someone to split the driving with. Back in college I drove back and forth from NJ to Rochester for school breaks by myself, so I've been used to 5 hour solo rides for a long time. Also nice to be able to listen to my choice of music the entire way without someone else complaining an hour into the trip, "This music gives me a headache, can't we listen to something other than hard rock? It is hard for me to take a nap with this music." :roll:

KustyTheKlown

lol. I'm not exclusively a jambander by any stretch. and when I say jamband, I really only mean three bands - the grateful dead, Joe Russo's almost dead (a dead cover band that is just so much greater than the sum of its parts, epic musicians), and the disco biscuits. I don't much care for phish anymore. and i don't put the jazzy jam stuff (medeski martin and wood or soulive for instance) in the jam bucket, as they are really in the jazz bucket. I'm also really just as likely to listen to Coltrane or Kendrick, the Band or the War on Drugs, Four Tet or Frank Ocean, as I am jambands. jam, some rock music, lots of jazz, some hip hop, lots of brainy electronic stuff is always in heavy rotation.

I tend to not listen to music on these solo drives because it puts me to bed. especially if its a middle of the night ride. the podcasts keep me entertained and engaged.

cdskier

I tend to not listen to music on these solo drives because it puts me to bed. especially if its a middle of the night ride. the podcasts keep me entertained and engaged.

LOL. I'm the opposite. A night ride by myself is the perfect time to crank Octane or Turbo or put on an album like the Metallica S&M performance.

KustyTheKlown

ha yea, different strokes. most of the stuff I listen to definitely falls more in the dreamy sleepy end of the spectrum than the RAGE RAGE RAGE rock music end of the spectrum.

my tastes and your tastes probably intersect with tool?

Last edited:

Scruffy

I'm lucky to have quite a few ski buds, and enjoy skiing with each and every one of them, even if they're all different in abilities and temperament. Sometimes it's a big posse on the mountain and that's a great day. But I relish skiing alone from time to time. I take that time to work on my form, I can ski a pod over and over if it has the terrain I'm working on ( usually bumps, or trees, or icy bumps no one else in the group wants to ski ) and not get swayed to go somewhere else.

KustyTheKlown

I also feel a bit of responsibility for when I'm with a group. i'm the skier of the group and become the de facto leader. I've definitely led people to terrain that they don't want to ski, sometimes due to my own ignorance, sometimes not. I led a whole crew to the northway at crystal washington last month not realizing it would be bullet proof bumps with no bail outs. I felt really bad for leading people there. I also sometimes feel responsible for everyone just simply having fun. my friends all go see the disco biscuits for new years eve. we've been doing that for ~10 years. this year we considered getting a ski house instead. ultimately it didn't work out, and I was kinda glad, because I felt pressure taking our group away from what WE DO, in order to go and do what I DO

bdfreetuna

Interesting you say that. I was thinking on my way back from Bolton Valley -- riding solo -- the other day, driving is at least 50% of skiing!

I drive a tuned & modified manual transmission big-turbo upgraded Subaru which is now making close to 400hp and 380tq. Such an absolute pleasure to drive on highways and back roads, tears it up in the snow and taking on ramps with 20psi of boost is where it's at.

Long drives are long drives no matter what, but I made sure my last car purchase was one I'd really enjoy to help make the rides more bearable. Most reliable car, maybe not but it's meticulously maintained and hasn't broke down in 2+ years, my wife has her Rav4 V6 for that anyway. I don't mind rebuilding the engine when the time comes.

I also have a good option of Spotify music or just listening to the rumble and roar of a built boxer engine.

Last edited:

cdskier

my tastes and your tastes probably intersect with tool?

Sure, Tool would definitely fit in my tastes.

People that know me casually through work, etc don't expect my musical tastes to be on that end of the spectrum. Last year I was driving back from Boston with my manager and two other co-workers and put Octane on and they were all surprised to say the least. Since none of them wanted to drive and I had to put up with rush-hour traffic by the time we were going through CT, they knew better than to complain though :razz: