• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2021 - 2022 Ski Season

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Because Vail & Alterra have basically killed-off probably 75% to 90% of all the legitimate SOTC deals, either directly or indirectly.

Since the OP mentioned ski club deals I checked out the CT ski council's vouchers this season...only like 6 or 7 resorts participating. Literally every single major and several mid-sized ski areas participated in that program pre-Vail/Alterra.

BenedictGomez

Since the OP mentioned ski club deals I checked out the CT ski council's vouchers this season...only like 6 or 7 resorts participating. Literally every single major and several mid-sized ski areas participated in that program pre-Vail/Alterra.

Yup, the legitimate SOTC deals are currently like the dinosaurs, 60 days post meteor impact.

crank

Vail is giving no ski club deals. I believe no group discounts either. My club does an early season trip to Mt. Snow and this year lift tix are $190 for a 2-day ticket bought in advance.

I suggested we go to Stratton instead. Most of us have Ikon.

chuckstah

Vail is giving no ski club deals. I believe no group discounts either. My club does an early season trip to Mt. Snow and this year lift tix are $190 for a 2-day ticket bought in advance.

I suggested we go to Stratton instead. Most of us have Ikon.
A one day Epic pass is $69 currently, so $138 for 2 days, if you must go to Mt Snow.

crank

A one day Epic pass is $69 currently, so $138 for 2 days, if you must go to Mt Snow.
There is such a thing as a 1-day Epic pass?

I probably won't go but I will "pass" this on to my ski club peeps. Thanks

Edit: Just checked. It's $88 per day and goes up some more after 10/14. No thank you. 2-years ago I think our cost was around $27. This is in early December when there is not likely to be a lot of open terrain.

Last edited:

chuckstah

There is such a thing as a 1-day Epic pass?

I probably won't go but I will "pass" this on to my ski club peeps. Thanks

Edit: Just checked. It's $88 per day and goes up some more after 10/14. No thank you. 2-years ago I think our cost was around $27. This is in early December when there is not likely to be a lot of open terrain.
I see $135 for a 2 day Epic, choose the one with restrictions and holiday blackouts. It's not a terrible price these days.

VTKilarney

For those of you who take the Adirondack, Ethan Allen, or Vermonter, Amtrak has an insanely good deal right now on their co-branded Mastercard. They are offering 50,000 points for new accounts if you spend $2,500 in the first 90 days. This is good for about $1,450 worth of Amtrak travel. ($1,250 for the Acela) There is a $79 annual fee, but you can cancel the card after the bonus points post. The promotion ends on October 18th. You have to sign up through the link on Amtrak's website: https://www.amtrak.com/home.html

This standard promotion is 20,000 points. 50,000 points is the highest they have ever offered.

I signed up for the card in August, and got my points no problem.

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

does anyone actually take those trains for skiing? the only time's I've investigated its been insanely priced and at the most inconvenient times. like a train to rutland would be $200 roundtrip and take 12 hours to get there and then you first need a way up to killington

urungus

does anyone actually take those trains for skiing? the only time's I've investigated its been insanely priced and at the most inconvenient times. like a train to rutland would be $200 roundtrip and take 12 hours to get there and then you first need a way up to killington
Five and a half hours from Manhattan Penn Station to Rutland, and a dedicated connecting shuttle bus to Killington

But agreed about the timing - both the Ethan Allen express and the Vermonter trains arrive in Vermont in the evening, and depart Vermont in the early morning. Meaning you are on the hook for two extra nights of lodging.

edit: I checked and the southbound Sunday train from rutland leaves at 5:05 pm which is much better for weekend warriors. All other days it leaves in the morning,

Last edited:

nycskier

The Sunday train back from Rutland to NYC is since. Bus picks you up a Killington takes you to the train station at the end of the day and 5hr 45 minute train ride is nicer than 4hr and 45minute car ride after a long weekend of skiing. Train takes longer but to be able to stretch out, drink a beer and watch a movie on your laptop is really nice.

Abominable

When I was young and stupid and there was no internet I took the train for my first trip out west to ski. I think because it was 100 bucks cheaper than the flight.

It was a nightmare! Ran out of food and bev immediately, stuck paying outlandish prices for probably a sixty hour train ride. No sleeper car. On the way home the train got stuck and they bussed us from Ohio up to Buffalo and put us on another train home. Some old guy died on the train at some point, watched them pull him from the luggage in Chicago... skiing out west for the first time was of course killer. We were so overdressed, long johns and such. Getting stuck in waste deep powder and giggling like school girls.....

jaytrem

Great deal for anybody skiing a bunch of days in Quebec....

Might still only be available for Quebec/Ontario/Nova Scotia address, so find a friend in Canada and use their address ( I was able to pay with my own credit card).

chuckstah

Free skiing and lunch at Jay Peak opening day, November 26. Register in advance.

abc

When I was young and stupid and there was no internet I took the train for my first trip out west to ski. I think because it was 100 bucks cheaper than the flight.

It was a nightmare! Ran out of food and bev immediately, stuck paying outlandish prices for probably a sixty hour train ride. No sleeper car. On the way home the train got stuck and they bussed us from Ohio up to Buffalo and put us on another train home. Some old guy died on the train at some point, watched them pull him from the luggage in Chicago... skiing out west for the first time was of course killer. We were so overdressed, long johns and such. Getting stuck in waste deep powder and giggling like school girls.....
Not my first trip out west, but I took the train from Chicago to Colorado. A student special of some sort, insanely cheap.

Slept on the reclining chair just fine. More leg room than airplane seats.

Can get up and walk around from one end of the train to the other end. Pretty cool. Train passengers are a different kind. Got to chit chat with some of them. Nice way to pass the time. Very relaxing.

I guess I was more “mature” even as a college kid? No problem with food and drink.

But the return trip was delayed for several hours. That’s a real drag, as hundred of passengers waiting at the small waiting room for hours. The entire return trip took much, much longer, as the delayed train lost all rail right of way priority and had to stop to wait its turn. Never did it again for that reason.

That said, I still frequently run into people who came out of the Midwest by train in Colorado. I wouldn’t do it from the east coast though.