• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing/riding better than ever?

jimk

Skiing better than ever?

Curious, how many of you think you are skiing better than ever? As an older guy I definitely have NO ILLUSIONS about being over the hill. It's kind of maddening to have to stop and suck wind after only 100 yards of aggressive skiing. 50 if out west at altitude:) I try to remain physically active in the off-season, but there's this matter of the inexorable march of time. One thing that I do shake my head about is that in the last decade as I've aged into my 60s I have been able to travel more widely and have skied/survived/experienced more steep terrain than ever before in my life. Just can't do it aggressively/repeatedly/stylishly:) Technically, I'm lazy and treat skiing as mindless fun. There are a few days when the snow is good and my body is good when I feel like I'm really carving things up, but most of the time I hack around pretty raggedly and when I get on really steep terrain I go into survival mode.

For those who are younger, I suppose this is a tip I can pass on: keep in the game. There will be a lot of reasons to let go of skiing through middle age. You can't ignore other important responsibilities in life, but keep going to the hill when you can and maintain your love of the sport. Not that there is anything wrong with staying loyal and patronizing your local hills until the end of your days, but the time may come when your ski horizons broaden both in scope and frequency and you want to be ready to take advantage of that.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd put my abilities at 40 around 75% of my ability at 25, maybe lower. It's partially a loss of athleticism and my work/family schedule taking its toll on my fitness, but it's mostly how often I'm skiing and the terrain I ski. 20-25 days skiing mainly groomers in NH vs 100 days skiing mainly off trail in Stowe results in skills not nearly as sharp. Though I actually probably carve on hard snow now better than I ever have.

steamboat1

I agree with everything you said about skiing & getting older, I to am in my 60's now, & slowing down a bit. I'm also more of a cautious skier now than I was when I was younger. Where I differ is in my ski horizons & traveling. I did a lot of traveling when I was younger both in the northeast, Quebec & out west. The majority of those trips where with my wife & daughter. Some were also with my parents & my brother & his family. My problem now is I'm the only one left who still skis in my family with the exception of my daughter. My daughter is now busy in her young career & doesn't have much time to ski let alone make extended skiing trips out west or other possible locations. She's lucky if she gets to ski a couple of weekends during the season. When we do ski together it's mainly for a weekend in VT. I also doubt she wants to use her valuable vacation time to go away skiing with daddy. She has other things that interest her more. So in other words I have no one to go away with for extended vacations out west or other locations. I do often take extended vacations to VT. by myself because I'm able to keep costs in control (been averaging about 40 days). Taking vacations to other locations is more expensive by myself since I wouldn't be able to take advantage of splitting lodging costs with double occupancy or sharing a condo. Plus the fact that it's just not as much fun traveling by myself. At least in VT. I have people that I know & can ski or hang with them. This is the reason I'm likely to travel less now, not more. I've been to a lot of places & enjoyed my time doing it but at the same time I'm perfectly happy now staying in the northeast.

JimG.

Staff member
I'm 58 and in some ways I'm a better skier now than ever, mostly in terms of experience and knowing how to handle difficult situations.

Still like skiing bumps, not much of a zipperline fan anymore though. Just too harsh on my aging body. I make up for that by seeking out steeper terrain and I spend a lot of time in the woods when possible.

I'm more cautious now also, old bones don't heal as fast.

crank

I am turning 60. I was a stronger and more fearless skier when I was 25-26. At that time I was skiing a lot and had no, well very little, fear. I agree with JimG; in some ways I am a better skier now. In some ways though not so much. I still ski steeps, chutes, trees, etc but approach them a bit cautiously where I used to just dive in. A couple of years ago I was skiing with my son and as we were stopped on a run... I think it was Green Beret at Jay Peak, I said, "This is pretty steep." He just looked at me like I had 2 heads and said, "What are you talking about?"

Steamboat you should look into joining a ski club. Lots of people like you getting together and skiing out west and at a discounted rate because of the group. We went to Jackson Hole with our club last year and are heading to Chamonix with them in 2017.

JimK you were skiing really well out in Aspen...would have had a hard time keeping up with you when you were 25! Almost kept up with your son, Vince and Mike for a fun double diamond at Snowmass last winter!

dlague

I think it is a mixed bag. I skied a lot when I was younger between 16 and 26 then I took an unwanted 12 year hiatus (ex wife did not ski). However, when our son turned 3 it became a reason to get out there again which did not sit well with her. While he was in lessons at McIntyre I skied that hill but it made me realize that I really missed it. He took about 6 lessons there and we never went back but it was exactly what a feeder hill should be. Eventually, got a divorce and started skiing more, met my current wife and she was interested in skiing! So I taught her more through experience and building confidence than actual teaching. What it taught me was to focus more on what I was doing and I did become a better skier then I was when I was younger. While I was lighter and not as cautious in my teens and twenties (skied with reckless abandon), in my late 30's I started thinking about it more. I skied much easier stuff while teaching my wife and while my kids were learning. However, before I knew it I was in my 40's, my wife was able to ski most anything and of course the kids could actually ski anything, so my family caught up or surpassed me in some cases. Long and short of it, I think I have been skiing better with greater and more acute situational awareness, better feel for terrain and greater confidence in most situations.

However, I do find myself also more cognizant of dangers such as trees, human obstacles or other things that can cause injury or death. I also no longer think I always need to ski bumps, or always need to ski trees, or need to ski steeps, or always need to ski terrain that most would consider challenging. Do I ski this type of terrain, yes, but it is a mix. In general, I enjoy pulling nice edged arcs at speed, catching a little air here and there and mixing in some bump runs, tree/gladed runs and a few relative steeps and if I am lucky a powder day now and then.

I think I am better NOT because of athleticism but because I take what the mountain gives me and have fun!

Tin

27 and my skiing ability is positively correlated to the amount of alcohol I've consumed. This year I did not ski my best though due to lack of days on the hill.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Better than ever ! all be it qualified , equipment playing a large part . Parabolic skis are incredibly forgiving compare to the old straight skis . For me it seems half the effort is needed to carve than in my 20's . I love to ski bumps and am 80% of what I used to be 30 yrs ago mostly due to the fat stomach getting in the way of my knees hitting my chest . The extra 17lbs has crept up over the years. Fortunately still have knees.
I don't jump as much and don't attempt to out do anybody . I have a nephew and neice that are awesome but they each have more injuries in 30's than I do in my mid fifties. Park, kickers and all the other ramps were not around years ago . I suppose if I was in their shoes I may have the same result . The internet POV videos inspire a lot of people to do cool tricks but the completion to out do the next guy is fringe people to take some crazy chances . 30 yrs ago I'd be right there as I was a bit of a daredevil inspired by Evil Kenevil.
Steeps are fun I have noticed a weird acclimation and have become comfortable with stuff that years ago would be scary. First time Tucks was freaking scary , started to back seat but overcame my natural reaction and corrected . Wish I would have done it 30 years earlier!
Pretty much only fear now is taken out by a novice over his head .
Better than ever but no desire to compete with anyone , just my inner self .

bigbog

Do ski better now even though the last 5 seasons have been almost all no-shows. Of course being in my early sixties the strength isn't like that of my 20s...exercise/training is truly needed, but am now about to get a little medication for Lyme Disease, which I contracted in 68' and didn't have a clue what it was , at the time...don't think I really felt its full brunt symptoms until around 1980. Going to get my knees(& ligaments) checked out for the first time:-o in little over a month, so that indeed should be interesting.....

snoseek

Im skiing steeper more aggresive stuff at 43...stuff i wouldnt even considered 20 years ago but overall i ski alot slower and more conservative.

Any knee or body issues i once had are gone....i dont get sore anymore which is weird.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Im skiing steeper more aggresive stuff at 43...stuff i wouldnt even considered 20 years ago but overall i ski alot slower and more conservative.

Any knee or body issues i once had are gone....i dont get sore anymore which is weird.

I've had 16 hour days in the kitchen that have kicked my ass worse than a day on the hill.

I actually get sore much more frequently in the years since leaving restaurant life. That kind of work helps keep one in shape.

jimk

Pray tell.

I think Steamboat1 has been in clubs for years. Every time they kick him out he joins a new one.:razz:
Just kidding about that last part. I think his club network is in VT and that's the focus of his skiing. Although, I'm surprised his club isn't tied into a network that sponsors good deals on trips to the West?

drjeff

Not sure if I'm skiing better now or just skiing smarter now at almost 45 than I did at 25??

The arcs in the snow still look pretty good (even if the equipment shape and length has changed plenty). Some terrain that I used to gravitate more too 20 years ago (more STEEPS, and tighter, sketchier lines) I don't nearly as much now, so in that respect in one sense I may not be skiing "better". From a technical side of things, I know that I understand the mechanics of turn shape and what it takes to make a "good" turn on different snow surfaces much better now than I used to, so in that sense I am skiing better now.

Overall, I still love the sport and have a blast any day that I'm out on the hill, and that's all that's really important to me at the end of the day

steamboat1

Now that there is funny.

Pray tell.

I think Steamboat1 has been in clubs for years. Every time they kick him out he joins a new one.:razz:
Just kidding about that last part. I think his club network is in VT and that's the focus of his skiing. Although, I'm surprised his club isn't tied into a network that sponsors good deals on trips to the West?

Our club is tied in with several ski councils that sponsor trips out west & Europe. Very few in my club ever go on them, most prefer to do there own thing. I'm not really interested in hooking up with a bunch of strangers to go skiing. By the way I've been a member of the same club for over 50 years.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's too bad, but to each their own. To me AZ and all other ski forums are essentially ski clubs. The best part isn't shooting the breeze about skiing and other subjects. The best part is the offline connections. I literally know and meet up to ski with people everywhere I go in New England and have also been invited for Western trips which I hope to take advantage of someday. Those who were once strangers are now ski buddies.

steamboat1

Like I said in my first post to this thread I have plenty of people to hook up with in VT. Would have even more if I skied weekends with members of my club, not to many can come up during the week. Most people I know who go away on trips go with their family which is what I used to do.

snoseek

I've had 16 hour days in the kitchen that have kicked my ass worse than a day on the hill.

I actually get sore much more frequently in the years since leaving restaurant life. That kind of work helps keep one in shape.
Yeah im on an awful string of those right now. Skiing or anything couldnt make me hurt like this. Its a love hate thing but late may and june fml.

Im not sure if it helps or just grinds me down.

dlague

Not sure if I'm skiing better now or just skiing smarter now at almost 45 than I did at 25??

The arcs in the snow still look pretty good (even if the equipment shape and length has changed plenty). Some terrain that I used to gravitate more too 20 years ago (more STEEPS, and tighter, sketchier lines) I don't nearly as much now, so in that respect in one sense I may not be skiing "better". From a technical side of things, I know that I understand the mechanics of turn shape and what it takes to make a "good" turn on different snow surfaces much better now than I used to, so in that sense I am skiing better now.

Overall, I still love the sport and have a blast any day that I'm out on the hill, and that's all that's really important to me at the end of the day

To me AZ and all other ski forums are essentially ski clubs. The best part isn't shooting the breeze about skiing and other subjects. The best part is the offline connections. I literally know and meet up to ski with people everywhere I go in New England and have also been invited for Western trips which I hope to take advantage of someday. Those who were once strangers are now ski buddies.

+1