• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing with a Bruised Rib

Bostonian

Okay... So this weekend looks to be damn good up at wildcat. I am tempted to head up there and ski, but I am still recovering from bruising my hip and ribs a week and a half ago. Granted I won't ski very well, but still I am craving getting one final day out for turns. Maybe having some advil and Tylenol would help? Or should I just call it a season and wait for next year?

prsboogie

Get out there. Beer works well to anesthetize as well!! JK motrin or Tylenol is good

Savemeasammy

I've skied with a cracked rib. There's plenty of offseason to recover...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MG Skier

Bostonian,

Been there with a rib injury, be careful if you choose to go for it. I am an Aleve fan as it is an anti-inflamitory. Yes, I often wash it down with a beer! I am itching to ski as well. Might be considering Wildcat myself.

drjeff

If it's going to effect your overall level of skiing (because your "normal" motions cause pain from the bruised rib) then you might want to just hang them up for the season, because your already professed not the greatest of skiing abilities would liked be further hampered in having to make different motions to avoid causing pain, and that could create more problems.

Listen to your body, not just what your ski instincts are telling you on this one.....

abc

I've skied with cracked ribs and skied reasonably well. (I'm assuming you've already got it checked out that there's no other injuries hidden)

It really is down to how much you can tolerating the pain. Advil helps on that front too. But, if you fall again, it would REALLY hurt.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hope the rib doesn't give you much trouble.

I'll be at Wildcat Saturday. I would temper your enthusiasm. Based upon what I skied last weekend and the current forecast, "damn good" is pretty unlikely. Fair conditions and having a good time is a more realistic expectation.

tumbler

I've done it also, just stick to the groomers and make nice easy turns. Stay out of the bumps- you will be asking for trouble, trust me.

Bostonian

Bruised hip and epically icy conditions.....what could go wrong?

Thats what I am concerned about lol. I have to walk from my office by Boylston Street to Summer Street in 20 minutes or so... Maybe if I can make it without too much trouble down there, that will be a good sign. Otherwise, hell, I will go up to just sit at the bar.

deadheadskier

Staff member
If the Snowcat lift is open, I would encourage you to take a couple runs off it to test out how you feel.

Lynx is a very long and unforgiving trail to be on if you're hurting and conditions are challenging.

Bostonian

I think that will be the plan... I will take a couple of runs off of snowcat... Looking at the weather for the remainder of the week, it looks like it will be just cold and firm... If they can keep snowcat up and running through the weekend and I continue to ice, and take ibuprofen and Tylenol... I may be able to eek out one more day. Even taking a couple of runs off that is better than nothing.

MG Skier

I have seen several folks skiing with armor this year. Not a bad idea with the ice we are so fortunate to experience in the Northeast.

abc

Interesting diversion.

I have some armor from my mountain biking days. Obviously not as robust as ski/board armor. But when I hit the deck of some clear blue ice at Stowe a month ago, I wish I had some padding on my side, ANY padding!