• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Slide Brook developement

rtjcbrown

I realize Slide Brook will never be built out, but has anyone ever seen what the plans looked like? There is so much land in there, it would have really been something.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Have they done any brush or tree thinning in there? Or is it considered true sidecountry?

I really enjoy resorts that have huge swaths of forested areas to ski. Places like Slidebrook. Burnt Mountain, etc. As opposed to simple glades that are between two trails.

WWF-VT

I have never seen any proposed development plans for Slide Brook.

Here's a link to a 2008 Vegetation Management plan that shows current and proposed "Tree Skiing" bands in Slide Brook:

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/...h_Vegetation Management Plan_With_Figures.pdf

From what I remember, ASC was granted the right to have three officially approved tree skiing bands. They were thinned out by the mountain ( lots of volunteers) and there has not been an official crew in Slide Brook in a few years to maintain the existing bands.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I realize Slide Brook will never be built out, but has anyone ever seen what the plans looked like? There is so much land in there, it would have really been something.

There are several renditions of what they wanted to do. As to where to find them, I have no real idea. The GMNF did have some EIS reports for Sugarbush from the 1994-1995 work that showed the different proposed lift routes. And, of course, 30 years ago or so they had a different idea with multiple lifts.

Bushmogulmaster, can you help us?

HowieT2

Those 3 bands are known as doors 1, 2 and 3. Up until a few years ago they used to have volunteers, myself included go in there in the summer to clean up blow down, cut branches and what not. They have not had the volunteers do anything the last couple of years. However, I dont know if the mtn sends a crew in to do the same thing

rtjcbrown

I have never seen any proposed development plans for Slide Brook.

Here's a link to a 2008 Vegetation Management plan that shows current and proposed "Tree Skiing" bands in Slide Brook:

http://www.anr.state.vt.us/Imaging/...h_Vegetation Management Plan_With_Figures.pdf

From what I remember, ASC was granted the right to have three officially approved tree skiing bands. They were thinned out by the mountain ( lots of volunteers) and there has not been an official crew in Slide Brook in a few years to maintain the existing bands.

I have never seen those maps. Thanks

I did not know about those proposed new lifts by the village and cats meow

Rothski

They used to have a map up of the proposed slide brook expansion in the Real estate office and it was also published in the Valley Reporter. 3 lifts and about 15 or so trails were proposed.