• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snow or Super Bowl?

Hawkshot99

Work to 6, maybe get out and take some runs during the day, then hop in my truck and drive the 4 minutes home to see the GIANTS win big!

frapcap

Unless geography has changed somewhat since I was in school, New York is not in New England. :wink:

I had a feeling that was coming. :-D I was thinking more that folks from NY are often found on the New England ski mountains, which would render them a little more deserted than usual if it were just the Pats in the super bowl.

If it were any other team other than the Patriots, I wouldn't even bother with the game.

Sugarbush is running a $46 lift ticket on Sunday. But you HAVE to buy it today.

snowmonster

Last year, I skied the Thunderbolt on SB Sunday. I don't think it's happening this year because I'm not too confident about the snow cover on Greylock -- and the Patriots are playing in the big game.

Cannonball

The mountain should be dead with the two big New England teams headed to the big game.

agreed. 2 for 1's at Cannon. Skip lunch, get 6 hours of skiing, and still home in time to shower and have a few beers before the game starts.

Super Bowl Sunday is historically Cannon's busiest day of the year. In fact it's the only time I've ever seen it insanely busy.

So I don't know. Give it a shot in the AM. Bail for a hike if it's crowded. Watch the game somewhere.

hammer

With the 2 for 1 I'm expecting Ragged to be a bit busy as well. Figure it can't be as busy as Sunapee during holiday week...it's all good.

SKIQUATTRO

Daughter has a race at K on Sunday....should be done by 1-2, then head back to LI...would like to watch the game at the condo, but that means a 1030PM departure and 3am arrival home....cant take Monday off...argh

bigbog

Unless geography has changed somewhat since I was in school, New York is not in New England. :wink:

As for my plans on Sunday? Ski all day. Mosey on home. Take a shower. Unpack the car. Check snail mail, e-mail, etc. Go to sleep. Wake up in the morning. Head to the office. If everybody looks suicidal, I'll assume the Patriots lost. If everyone looks really happy, I'll assume the Patriots won.

It's the new geography KevinF!....LOL., Mountain should be dead.. Would like to go Sunday, Friday for sure.
About the same, but I'll catch a few things...news, sports, weather, fuzzy-science in the early AM hours.

Last edited:

UVSHTSTRM

As for my plans on Sunday? Ski all day. Mosey on home. Take a shower. Unpack the car. Check snail mail, e-mail, etc. Go to sleep. Wake up in the morning. Head to the office. If everybody looks suicidal, I'll assume the Patriots lost. If everyone looks really happy, I'll assume the Patriots won.

While NY is not in New England, there are tons of Giants fans in New England. I bet if you look at age groups between 50-75 in New England you would find many Giants fans. Then of course you have the fact that many of these "old timers" passed on their love of the Giants to their offspring and so on. Back in the 50's 60's and 70's the Giants ruled the TV in New England.

MadPadraic

Given my personal experience with this:

Super Bowl Sunday is historically Cannon's busiest day of the year. In fact it's the only time I've ever seen it insanely busy.

and being told that it is the exact opposite at SR, we are hitting up Sunday River for the weekend. Besides, I've been fortunate enough to have my favorite team play in the superbowl many times. I've never experienced an uncrowded Sunday at the Barker base.

Run giant fencing tournament just outside DC, get on a plane home for a 5:30P departure, hopefully catch the second half...

I am going to TiVo the game and start watching it at around 8. Stop by.

ERJ-145CA

I'll be skiing with my son at the local mountain, drive the 15 minutes home in plenty of time to watch the Super Bowl.

Ironically, my wife, who's a Pats fan, will be watching the game covered in my Jets blanket because every time she's used my Jets blanket watching a Pats game the Patriots won.

Last edited:

drjeff

Ironically, my wife, who's a Pats fan, will be watching the game covered in my Jets blanket because every time she's used my Jets blanket watching a Pats game the Patriots won.

That just seems so wrong on so many levels ;) Almost like the ESPN commercial where you see the 20 something couple making out on the couch with one wearing a Michigan shirt and the other wearing an Ohio State shirt :eek: lol: :rolleyes:

:lol:

HowieT2

ski sunday till 3. shower and watch the game in VT. ski monday and then go home. perfect weekend. Go Giants!

Cheese

get out early when the lifts open...ski hard until 2pm and then head home. for most folks this should get them home in plenty of time for the game.

This!

After today's warm rain, conditions will be marginal on Saturday and Sunday so there probably won't be a reason to ski past 2pm on Sunday.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
What's a super bowl? Is that like a toilet bowl? or a large fish bowl? A spittoon?

"At a Tuesday morning press briefing, members of the Super Bowl Host Committee said they have heard the request from downtown visitors.

They said 86 additional port-o-lets will be delivered and installed downtown in time for Wednesday's opening. Currently, there are only 24 port-o-lets, in addition to several restroom trailers.

At the briefing, organizers said the downtown crowds have been slightly larger than their projections. As of Tuesday morning, an estimated 265,000 people had visited the Super Bowl Village, and more than 118,000 had been to the NFL Experience at the Convention Center."

Source