• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"Snowbound" A story of the winter catastrophe of 2005-2006 Chapter I, II

haines

by John Greenleaf Whittier.

Snow will have significant coverage by thanksgiving.

Nor Easters will pummel the New England area every two weeks.

Warm Moisture from the ocean will follow a predictable pattern. With a shift of the Polar Ice Cap further to the East creating the start of a new Ice Age. All rivers will be frozen by Christmas.
A blocking high pressure established in MAY 05 in Greenland will restablish itself preventing Nor Easters from quickly leaving. Thus Nor Easters will wring themselves out on Land mass instead of out in the ocean. It is expected that snow accumulation will be triple the amount last season.

On the positive side large snow amounts will provide insulation to houses

remember to check ventilation exits on all houses and cars. Do not allow a vent to plug.

Snowblowers will be useless as snow will be heavy and deep. A new vocabulary words will come out of this season. It's a, I'm in the, "Valley Forge" describing midweek blues waiting to go skiing on the weekends. "Snowsheet" that would be headlights reflecting snow in traffic. "Spinning Gerbil" would describe neophyte (Young) driver spinning his wheels in the snow going nowhere. "Seacoast Cement" aptly or "seizure slop" describing dense moisture rich snow difficult to shovel.

It is highly recommended to save money on snow removal equipment unless it is a bucket loader.

Recomended reading "Snowbound" by John Greenleaf Whittier.

Selected Poems "Robert Frost"

:spin: "The Day the world Exploded" :spin:
Simon Winchester
(about the Island of Krakatoa)

" The Great Snow Tsunami" Ebenzer Scrooge

Ch II

The tempertature is 72 Degreess. I can feel it like a heartbeat that gets louder and louder . Blasted noise make it stop. As one looksd out of the great Salt Marsh of Hampton, NH USA Two screwy Blue Herons make a their trademark dinasuar sqwack . They look like last holdouts of a severe winter acoming. They look like glider planes going behind a mountain as they disaapear in the tall grass

They will soon be blown to New Jersey retreating from the onslaught soon to come. The great winter catastrophe of 2005-06. The comfort of snow tires
secured will come on early.

It is a positive comfort to know one has learned how to ski powder with narrow sidecut Fisher Race Skis. Although it took a few years. One must keep feet together and use a more rocking motion when turning.

It will be 72 degrees tomorrow Nov 1st. Their will be a respite of warm weather to come. Approximatly ten days and then. Global Warmings revenge will appear as the whirling snow devils open up one after another. Like Hurricanes battering the gulf coast N.E. will be caught in the spinning vortex of Nor Easters bringing their wrath to our humble shores.

Yes! Snow Shoes will be a good investment as well as a pair of C.C.Country skiis and boots. Do not bother shoveling instead get a pair of goggles and snow shoes. Shoveling is so pedestrian. Why have I done it before? Never again. I know the WHite Whales is out their. Show yourself! Be done with it.

Blasted weather !you make a mockery of my vile pernicious prediction. I will see you soon enough!
What is that I hear! Treats you want! Never, Bah Humbug! :spin:

Suggested reading:

Edgar Allen Poe " The Pit and the Pendulum"

Heman Melville " The Moby Dick"

Robert Frost "North of Boston"

haines

It would be a catastrophe to elderly, snow haters, girls, non snowlovers

ctenidae

And we care about any of those groups why, again?

Snow haters and non-lovers in particular. Girls should be staying home keeping the fires warm, and all my elderly live in Texas. Along with a few ex's.

noski

ctenidae said:

And we care about any of those groups why, again?

Snow haters and non-lovers in particular. Girls should be staying home keeping the fires warm, and all my elderly live in Texas. Along with a few ex's.
Mmmm.... Girls should be staying home and keeping the fires warm, and a few ex's are living in TX.... is there a correlation, I query....?

haines

I only mentioned Girls to see if their are any female persuasions in this forum

Maybe we should wait until spring 06 thats when girls start to go skiing

ctenidae

Mmmm.... Girls should be staying home and keeping the fires warm, and a few ex's are living in TX.... is there a correlation, I query....?

Gotta throw a little sexism around occasionaly. Just to keep it real, ya'll.

noski

haines said:
I only mentioned Girls to see if their are any female persuasions in this forum

Maybe we should wait until spring 06 thats when girls start to go skiing
Well, duh. The sun is higher then, thus the days warmer. You can let the fire out during the day and build it back at sundown.