• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So tell me about Plattekill....

ScottySkis

2. Turn left onto Old Rte 17

0.5 mi

13. Continue onto NY-206 W/Rockland RdContinue to follow NY-206 W

11.0 mi

14. Turn right onto NY-30 N/State Hwy 30 N

19.9 mi

15. Turn right onto NY-28 S/NY-30 N/State Hwy 30 N

3.1 mi

16. Turn left onto Fair St

0.1 mi

17. Turn right onto NY-30 N/State Hwy 30 N/Main StContinue to follow NY-30 N/State Hwy 30 N

13.4 mi

18. Sharp left onto Hard Scrabble Rd

0.9 mi

19. Turn left onto Burroughs Memorial Rd

0.6 mi

20. Take the 2nd left onto Fairway Dr

0.5 mi
Roxbury, NY

Cornhead

That isn't totally true, there's the Roxbury Motel about 10-15min from the hill (in Roxbury). Which is a fantastic and rather unique place to stay.

Sorry, my bad, is it off of rt 30? I didn't see anything when I drove through on 30. I ended up staying in Margetville. Scotty and I have stayed in Oneonta, twice, it's halfway home for me, but Brook's BBQ made it worth the drive. Someone on the hill suggested the T-bar Saloon. I pulled into the lot, but it didn't look promising. Are they out if business? Their web address is available.

Just checked out the reviews of the Roxbury, sounds like a cool place indeed, in Roxbury!, Who'd a thunk it?

Last edited:

ScottySkis

Sorry, my bad, is it off of rt 30? I didn't see anything when I drove through on 30. I ended up staying in Margetville. Scotty and I have stayed in Oneonta, twice, it's halfway home for me, but Brook's BBQ made it worth the drive. Someone on the hill suggested the T-bar Saloon. I pulled into the lot, but it didn't look promising. Are they out if business? Their web address is available.

Just checked out the reviews of the Roxbury, sounds like a cool place indeed, in Roxbury!, Who'd a thunk it?

Brooks was great and worth the drive.

Also there is a Super 8 motel in same town as Brooks cheap hotels I like.

bigbog

Scotty the mountain has some beautiful pitch! Typical Catskills...I know, although only through flyfishing. I NEVER skied when I grew up...NE of Troy, NY...:angry:

ScottySkis

Scotty the mountain has some beautiful pitch! Typical Catskills...I know, although only through flyfishing. I NEVER skied when I grew up...NE of Troy, NY...:angry:

I only started skiing Platty a few years ago when reading the fourm. I lived in mid Hudson valley for 7 years and never skiied or knew about it.

millerm277

Sorry, my bad, is it off of rt 30? I didn't see anything when I drove through on 30.

It is like ~200ft off Rt 30, it's not that obvious when you're driving by and not looking for it. It's right at the Southern end of the town on Rt 30, where there's the bridge to cross the river.

Someone on the hill suggested the T-bar Saloon. I pulled into the lot, but it didn't look promising. Are they out if business? Their web address is available.

Not sure. I did the same thing when I was up there and looking for food in the area, pulled in, though it didn't look great, and left. As far as places I've been to, I went to Binnekill Square in Margaretville once. That was decent, but I wouldn't call it anything particularly special.

Ming Moon in Margaretville is one of the dodgiest looking Chinese restaurants I've seen on the inside, but as far as cheap take-out Chinese goes I thought it was actually pretty good and they gave you a lot of food.

The East Branch in Roxbury is great though. Tiny little place, pretty extensive somewhat dinery menu + good pizza, friendly people and good food (admittedly, I didn't try anything particularly fancy). It's on Rt 30, right near the Roxbury Motel.

I also haven't been to any of them post-Irene, so I have no idea if what impacts the storm may have had on anything.

Cornhead

I'm grateful all the Catskill resorts are within easy day trip distance. They're the perfect compromise between a weekend of skiing my local molehill, and an all out road trip to New England, or the Adirondacks. They break up the molehill monotony without breaking the bank. Platty is by far my favorite. I wish Bobcat were still open, I have a feeling I would've dug that place too. I always hit Brook's BBQ on the way home too! Bonus.

ScottySkis

6445_10152010326862363_1595067873_n.jpg
Picture from Platty Facebook page taken today Sunday Nov. 3 powder turns soon.:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::)

ScottySkis

blogger-image--533000942.jpg

[h=3]Trailblazers[/h]

In case you missed the big story of the day, Plattekill woke up to its first real snow on the ground this morning. A beautiful sight, and well timed, too, because yesterday, a rag-tag band of intrepid woodsmen, led fearlessly by Greg Merryweather, set into the wilds of Plattekill to carve out new paths through the trees. We gave a whole new meaning to the phrase, 'earning your turns.'

So where are Plattekill's glades? Oh, like I'm gonna put that on the internet.