• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So tell me about Plattekill....

where's the snow

What a productive day! Cant wait to do it again! If the snow melts out I am game to go again more glades = more powder turns

Bene288

I would be in. I would also be willing to car pool. I'm sure many people will have to go through or near Albany to get there. I have a truck and can transport 4 people with equipment.

Shredder of Gnar

You won't ever find zippers to your liking Gman. But thats not why you go there.

Thanks for confirming Aman - i figured it was folk lore. And yes, after a couple dozen zipper-less visits, i do still go...

dmc

Be careful what you all wish for...
Place seems to be getting more and more popular..

ScottySkis

Question I see a good amount of natural has fallen. Are they ok with hickers and what do to hiking with snow boots ski boots in back pack? Anyone ever hiking platty before any information would be great. Thinking this weekend would be good hopefully some others want to go?

Huck_It_Baby

Question I see a good amount of natural has fallen. Are they ok with hickers and what do to hiking with snow boots ski boots in back pack? Anyone ever hiking platty before any information would be great. Thinking this weekend would be good hopefully some others want to go?

Before I had a touring setup I used to put my ski boots in a large backpack, attach the skis and hike up wearing snow shoes and hiking boots. It's not the best option but it works.

BenedictGomez

My mission this year is to catch up with some of the small (but dedicated) group of AZ Platty skiers. Seems any given weekend there's at least 3 of us or more who post here that are at Platty.

BenedictGomez

Be careful what you all wish for...
Place seems to be getting more and more popular..

I swear, if I have to wait in a 3 minute Saturday lift line I am going to be IRATE!

angry-customers.jpg

ScottySkis

My mission this year is to catch up with some of the small (but dedicated) group of AZ Platty skiers. Seems any given weekend there's at least 3 of us or more who post here that are at Platty.

I was there last year at same time as you say hello that be cool.

So anyone know ever hiking Plaaty for fun before they were open wondering how hard and long the hike is?

dmc

Scottie... the thing about hiking is.. You can go as far as you'd like..

I'd suggest - this time of year - to hike what you ski so you familiar with what's up under the snow..

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
So how do hike with ski boots? Put them in back pack and transfer snow boots when I get to the top?

Buy some AT bindings and skins. If not, buy Alpine Trekkers and skins, if not, get snowshoes, toss your skis on your pack in an a-frame, velcro your bootstraps together and toss them over the top of your pack in front of your skis.

SnowRock

Is platty worth a day trip from NJ? I've always heard about the place but never made the trip. Looking at the map it would probably take me about 3hrs and15-25mins if I headed up through port jervis. A bit on the long side for my day trips.

I hit hunter pretty frequently with the occasional elk trip as they are pretty much equidistant from me.... Ill do crazy drives for snow, but prefer my day trips in the 2hr range.

mriceyman

Im in the same situation from nj.. Its another 30 min past hunter but i promised myself a day there this year.. Im hoping a weekday rented out by azers

Sent from my iPhone

TropicTundR

Im in the same situation from nj.. Its another 30 min past hunter but i promised myself a day there this year.. Im hoping a weekday rented out by azers

Sent from my iPhone

Elk and Platte are worth their distance from NJ. Windham and Hunter are traffic hassles(both on the slopes and with PoPo)

...AND the days I do go to Elk/Platte I get some squalls/PowPow as icing on the cake of a mountain...