• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Some Good Personal News

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Hi all,

It's been amazing talking skiing with all of you for the past long while. I love being from the Flatlands and still being able to log-on to Alpinezone and talk skiing with y'all. To me, it's not a powder day without the "storm thread"....the posts about which weather model is doing what, the ridiculous snow maps, people sharing their plans of attack, and of course... day-of reports of people who expected 3" and got a foot, those who were put on windhold all day, those who got rained on "but the forecast said 2 feet at elevation!", and sharing pictures of endless powder! I've personally met only a handful of you, but as I said in another thread about a month ago, "there isn't a single AZ member I wouldn't get a beer with". You guys are an awesome group and I've loved sharing, learning, and just talking skiing with y'all.

For those who don't know, I've been teaching skiing part-time at the local bump, Thunder Ridge, NY for 7 seasons. I quickly fell in love with what I did. Finally, I'm perusing it further... I'll be teaching at Alta Ski Area starting this fall. I am absolutely besides myself. To go from a 400 foot molehill that's more of an amusement park than a ski area to such a world class destination is incredible. I'm not quite sure what kind of move this is. Let's call it "a second childhood" for now. It's not the final destination; just another chapter in life. I'm so glad I'll be able to wake up each day and do what I love. Utah certainly isn't the undiscovered gem it was circa 2000, but there's still the simple fact that you can ski 8...9...10 world-class resorts within 2 hours of each other and the cost of living is still "cheap" compared to Bozeman, Jackson, Tahoe, Colorado, etc.

I'll certainly still stay on Alpinezone and check-in from time-to-time, sharing my worthless advice and opinions :LOL: . I've registered on Pugski with the same screen name as here, just haven't posted much on there yet.

This isn't "goodbye" from a faceless screen alias....it's not "congratulate me I'm getting out of here!"....it's just a personal post that I hope will brighten your day- that someone skiing the same trails you are from the same humble beginnings is getting out there to the "big hills" and living what they always wanted to do!

ScottySkis

It's awesome news😃🎿🏂🏂🎿
Enjoy sure look forward to trip reports from u
Check out Snowbasin to it great Mountain little less crowded then Slc or it was decade ago

snoseek

man, you're in for a treat. I did my first few seasons there in the 90's, bounced around for a couple decades, and finished it with one last season there before coming back east. The day to day ski bum life at Alta is unmatched IMO and obviously the skiing is ridiculous. That itch is about to get scratched, good move and good luck

KustyTheKlown

congrats

housing is an issue everywhere but coming from the northeast i think we're used to the worst prices around already more or less. slc suburbs will feel like a discount.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
congrats

housing is an issue everywhere but coming from the northeast i think we're used to the worst prices around already more or less. slc suburbs will feel like a discount.

That's exactly what I told all the recruiters I talked to. I live in Fairfield County....top 10% of housing prices in the country. $1100 for a one bedroom apartment in slc is a steal.

KustyTheKlown

That's exactly what I told all the recruiters I talked to. I live in Fairfield County....top 10% of housing prices in the country. $1100 for a one bedroom apartment in slc is a steal.

we literally pay almost 3x that in Brooklyn for like 650 sq feet. in a brooklyn heights brownstone so its really nice, but yea, $1100 for a one bedroom is amazing.

KustyTheKlown

whats the story with teaching at alta? do you start with groms and more senior people get older/better skiers? even the groms at alta probably shred, and their parents want to go off themselves and shred harder for half a day or whatever.

kingslug

While this may sound a bit crazy..my friend in SLC bought a motorhome and now lives full time in it. Skis all over the place and started a youtube channel..hes a big Alta skier..
His channel is The Grand Adventure..good guy to know..

KustyTheKlown

not that crazy. a buddy and his wife and dog spent most of covid in an airstream traveling around the west, which inspired them to pursue a project to open a sort of upscale digital nomad friendly RV park in the northwest. hasn't done anything on it yet but I believe he will.

snoseek

It's easy enough to rent a room down in town. That commute up is pretty awful though.

jimk

Best wishes to ss20. I hope to spend a few months in Utah again next winter. I only get one stinking reciprocal day at Alta, but if you get opportunities to ski
Snowbird maybe I'll bump into you there. :geek:
Alta, Greeley Bowl:
kevinf greely alta.jpg