• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Some Good Personal News

snoseek

Best wishes to ss20. I hope to spend a few months in Utah again next winter. I only get one stinking reciprocal day at Alta, but if you get opportunities to ski
Snowbird maybe I'll bump into you there. :geek:
Alta, Greeley Bowl:
View attachment 51818
Man, I really do like all the pics you post on this board. I like it in there quite a bit especially as you drop into the trees and the snow is less exposed to the elements.

BenedictGomez

There’s been a bunch of chatter about housing being a problem. Have you found a place yet?

Home prices in the area are up ~200% to 300%+ in just the last 4 or 5 years. It's nuts. Tower cranes & construction EVERYWHERE you look though, so perhaps supply will at some point outstrip demand.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
whats the story with teaching at alta? do you start with groms and more senior people get older/better skiers? even the groms at alta probably shred, and their parents want to go off themselves and shred harder for half a day or whatever.

Like all resorts it more depends on your certs/experience rather than your seniority at the mountain. I'll be teaching primarily beginner and intermediate kids and adults to start. It's fine with me as I've got tons to learn myself and that's my comfort zone. What's going to be fun is that I'm going to get my L2 cert this season or the following season....that's when you start those getting advanced adults and staying off-trail most of the day.

ss20

Best wishes to ss20. I hope to spend a few months in Utah again next winter. I only get one stinking reciprocal day at Alta, but if you get opportunities to ski
Snowbird maybe I'll bump into you there. :geek:
Alta, Greeley Bowl:
View attachment 51818

Snowbird has a reciprocal agreement with Alta so I'll certainly get a number of days there! Also I might pick up the Snowbird spring pass after Alta closes.

ss20

Home prices in the area are up ~200% to 300%+ in just the last 4 or 5 years. It's nuts. Tower cranes & construction EVERYWHERE you look though, so perhaps supply will at some point outstrip demand.

The UT population growth in the last decade was the slowest pace it's been in 30 years or something. The boom won't last forever.

snoseek

Snowbird has a reciprocal agreement with Alta so I'll certainly get a number of days there! Also I might pick up the Snowbird spring pass after Alta closes.
You can upgrade to an alta bird pass for a few hundred extra. It's worth it imo

BenedictGomez

The UT population growth in the last decade was the slowest pace it's been in 30 years or something. The boom won't last forever.

It literally cant because they're going to run out of places to build. I met a guy who reports on the industry who told me on the front they're starting to increasingly build "up", since they cant expand out. On the back, the amount of growth is insane. Anywhere they can stuff townhouses & condos, they're doing so. It makes me wonder how or why there's no zoning (that I can see) in Utah. I drove up Memorial Hill this evening to look out over the Midway/Heber valley, and it's really astounding how few farms are left. The first time I was here was only in 2016, and much of the entire place was cows sprinkled with some horses back then. Not anymore. New construction in every direction you look.

mister moose

Like all resorts it more depends on your certs/experience rather than your seniority at the mountain. I'll be teaching primarily beginner and intermediate kids and adults to start. It's fine with me as I've got tons to learn myself and that's my comfort zone. What's going to be fun is that I'm going to get my L2 cert this season or the following season....that's when you start those getting advanced adults and staying off-trail most of the day.

You'll be teaching beginner/low intermediates forever. That's who takes lessons. There's a few advanced classes. A few.

The plusses are you'll catch more powder days, be in great shape and hopefully have a great time.

BenedictGomez

You'll be teaching beginner/low intermediates forever. That's who takes lessons. There's a few advanced classes. A few.

That is my recollection when I worked at Stowe ski school as well. After the lower intermediate lessons, stuff really dropped out in terms of volume.

JimG.

Staff member

The plusses are you'll catch more powder days, be in great shape and hopefully have a great time.
In fact the best deal might be teaching kids.

Adults just ask too many questions. As long as kids have fun they'll do just about anything.

ss20

Adults just ask too many questions. As long as kids have fun they'll do just about anything.

Certainly pros/cons for each group. I've heard the "adults ask too many questions" bit many times before. Sometimes it's certainly true. In my experience, what I've gotten more often in my lessons is an adult that keeps their mouth shut when they don't understand something. I'd be happy to explain something again/re-phrase/show again rather than have you royally screw up whatever task we're trying out... just say something!

abc

Certainly pros/cons for each group. I've heard the "adults ask too many questions" bit many times before. Sometimes it's certainly true. In my experience, what I've gotten more often in my lessons is an adult that keeps their mouth shut when they don't understand something. I'd be happy to explain something again/re-phrase/show again rather than have you royally screw up whatever task we're trying out... just say something!
It's good to hear from the (relatively) new instructors of your experience. (pubski had tons of technical discussions but I don't recall much discussion on lesson dynamics, for example).

The couple season I worked as an instructor taught me both adults and children have their own challenges. Kids suffer the opposite problem of "too many questions...". Sometimes they don't know how to verbalize what's bothering them. Boot too large/small, ski too stiff, pain or discomfort, or plain old fear that led to stiffness. I've once or twice had a kid melt down and just cry :( (turned out they were just cold :( ). Adults would know enough to say, I'm cold and can we move instead of talk, or that looks really steep and scary...

kingslug

And don't forget to re watch Aspen Extreme for pointers...

SS Where is your student?
um...heading down High Rustler..I think

aspen 20.jpg

Last edited:

ss20

I'm in the process of picking up a 2 bedroom apartment 25 minutes from Alta. Just under $1,000 a month. .7 miles from the bus route directly up LCC. The housing process was simpler/less challenging than I expected. I think I put in 4 or 5 applications and sent maybe a dozen emails over the course of 2 weeks and I got a basic no-frills apartment in a prime location...I cannot complain.

Just throwing it out there to show Utah housing isn't "impossible". I didn't search all over town either. For those who don't know (I posted it in another thread iirc) my car shit the bed so I'm limited to taking the bus routes for now ( will get a car if I have to, but I will certainly give the bus routes a try and save the $$$ being carless if it works efficiently). So I was pretty limited geographically in my housing search.

Abominable

That extra room open in mid-March? Dibs!

Have a great season and enjoy it. Like many on here, I've worked on / around mountains a bit here and there, from teaching to driving the bus. Teaching kids was great fun I thought. Only downer is when it's dumping up top and you're looking up from the bunny slopes! You'll get more than your share of powder days for sure though.

Congrats and good luck!