• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

South Eastern Canada

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I've never skied but am interested in this question as well. I recall my mother always talking about wanting to go to Tremblant. We never went, but I always had it my mind that "that was the place to go".

TheNotoriousZIG

ive heard Owls Head is a sweet spot, but i have never been skiing in Americas hat. ill have to check out Tremblant

Robbski

Can we assume you mean the place typically referred to as Quebec?

Might mean Yarmouth, NS.

Anyway, Tremblant has some nice terrain, doesn't get as much snow as the eastern townships (Owls Head, Orford, Bromont etc.) or the Quebec city areas. Tremblant has a big disneyesque Intrawest built base village. It's OK if you like that kind of thing.

The best ski experience to be had in la belle provence (and eastern Canada) is in and around Quebec city. Le Massif is the real deal with tremendous terrain and good snow Mount St. Anne is a legitimate mountain and Stoneham is OK. All this and you can hit them all while staying in Quebec city which is just a tremendous take.

Oh and you got to love the cold to ski Quebec.

MadMadWorld

Might mean Yarmouth, NS.

Anyway, Tremblant has some nice terrain, doesn't get as much snow as the eastern townships (Owls Head, Orford, Bromont etc.) or the Quebec city areas. Tremblant has a big disneyesque Intrawest built base village. It's OK if you like that kind of thing.

The best ski experience to be had in la belle provence (and eastern Canada) is in and around Quebec city. Le Massif is the real deal with tremendous terrain and good snow Mount St. Anne is a legitimate mountain and Stoneham is OK. All this and you can hit them all while staying in Quebec city which is just a tremendous take.

Oh and you got to love the cold to ski Quebec.

Quebec City is a GREAT ski city. It is central to so many great ski area and BC. I could put a list together of my favorite places in QC to ski but the post would go on for pages.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AlpineZone mobile app

snowmonster

I've been planning a trip to the Eastern Townships for quite a bit. I was about to pull the trigger on Owl's Head/Bromont/Sutton last weekend but that fell through and I ended up in Stowe. Quebec City/Le Massif are on the list too. I am sure that the OP will get great advice from the regulars here. However, there's also a gold mine of information on this board from previous years. Try a search of "Quebec" or "Eastern Townships."

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Someday, I will ski the ChicChocs. But, for now, I'll have to rely on you for trip reports.

Not me, for sure. I would love to get into some backcountry skiing, maybe for my mid life crisis. I was just passing along the info for someone who could use it.

Last edited:

steamboat1

Keep in mind that Quebec City is a considerably longer drive than the eastern townships. If the snow is good Sutton is my favorite place in the townships. It has more of an old school New England feel than any place in New England with the exception of MRG. Orford & Owls Head are good mountains too. Bromont was my least favorite place in the townships. None of these areas are particularly large but offer enough to keep your interest for a couple of days. Bromont & Orford also offer night skiing.

Outside QC Sainte Anne & Le Massif are legitimate big mountain skiing. I like them both but give an edge to Le Massif because of the views of the St. Lawrence. The base of the area is almost at the waters edge. Stoneham is smaller than either SA or LM but often has better snow because it's further away from the St. Lawrence. SA & more so LM can get crusty sometimes because of the humid breezes off the St. Lawrence freezing on the mountain. Stoneham is actually 3 different mountains, each with it's own character. If you're in the area Stoneham is definitely worth skiing. Another place I like is Le Rolais which is also north of QC like Stoneham is. If your into groomers Le Rolais does an outstanding job grooming their trails. SA, SH & LR also offer night skiing. There's also another place south of QC (Massif de Sud) but I've never been there.

Haven't been to Tremblant in 25 years but remember it as being a decent mountain. Have no idea what it's like now since they put the village in & a top to bottom lift on the front side. You used to have to take two separate lifts to get to the summit. Problem with Tremblant is it's the only place around. There are some other small areas north of Montreal but they are small. At least with the Eastern Townships or Quebec City you have the choice of skiing several different mountains.

darent

skied with two canadian instructors at sugarloaf for a day and I asked them about eastern canada skiing, they both said MT Saint Anne and La massif were the places to go, better terrain than Tremblant and a lot less crowded.

Talisman

I've skied the eastern townships of Quebec a number of time: Owl's Head, Sutton and Orford. These areas are close to the US border and offer a different ski experience than the US, typically are cheaper, have great food and get similar snow to Jay Peak.