• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Spring Skiing and COVID??

Zermatt

Care to clarify what is "pretty much set"???

Prove what's "right"!
Risk of death or severe outcomes greatly diminished. Not implying a 2nd shot is not needed, but more trials could change the protocols.

icecoast1

Care to clarify what is "pretty much set"???

Prove what's "right"!
Looks like Pfizers Vaccine might start protecting people 10 days after the first shot and be as much as 52 percent effective after the first shot, at least according to the FDA/Pfizer

Last edited:

cdskier

Risk of death or severe outcomes greatly diminished. Not implying a 2nd shot is not needed, but more trials could change the protocols.
It does show rapid protection (within about 10 days) after the first shot. However I wouldn't say you're "pretty much set" at that point. Of course unfortunately some people will just read the "protection within 10 days" part of the announcement and think that means they don't need the second shot.

The efficacy of the vaccine after the first dose is about 52 percent, according to Dr. William C. Gruber, senior vice president of Pfizer Vaccine Clinical Research and Development. After the second dose, that rises to about 95 percent. “Two doses of vaccine provide maximum protection,” he said.

BenedictGomez

Wrong.

PFE data released today says 14 days after first shot you're pretty much set. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2 shot regimen gets modified.

That's not true. The increased date glimpse from today showed at least 52% efficacy after shot #1. That's great news, but you should still get the 2nd shot to take you up to ~95%. The fact there's no age-related drop-off in immunogenicity I think was the best news. Also, it looks like it works after 10 days, which is nice to hear since with most vaccines the guidance is 2 weeks. Things are looking up.

BenedictGomez

It does show rapid protection (within about 10 days) after the first shot. However I wouldn't say you're "pretty much set" at that point. Of course unfortunately some people will just read the "protection within 10 days" part of the announcement and think that means they don't need the second shot.

I definitely worry about compliance with a 2-shot regimen. We know that with any other drug there's a "dropoff" in adherence with anything >1.

JNJ has a one-shot COVID19 vaccine without the nasty frozen storage parameters of either PFE or MRNA's COVID19 vaccine. Data glimpse should be in a few weeks. It would be huge if that one shows strong efficacy.

jimmywilson69

Do we seriously need another thread where this is debated ad nauseum by the same folks... How about actually talking about skiing I think it'd be good for some of your blood pressures...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Fauci says back to normal in the second half of 2021. Defined as full capacity indoor dining, return of sports, theaters, etc. Vaccine available to all who want it late March or early April.
Right. If things run smoothly.

MG Skier

So, I was thinking about this out loud over a beer last night, at home.....I'm a teacher, I am "scheduled" for a February/March "Jab", after the second "Jab" and the "wait time", will I be "allowed" to cross borders and ski somewhere besides Massachusetts? Will the vaccinated folks be able to disregard the quarantine piece? I'll happily wear a mask follow rules of the ski facility. By March April I hope to find some vertical over 1,000.ft.

abc

So, I was thinking about this out loud over a beer last night, at home.....I'm a teacher, I am "scheduled" for a February/March "Jab"
That's some interesting news. Where (or who) made up the schedule? And you were already told of it, "officially"?

, after the second "Jab" and the "wait time", will I be "allowed" to cross borders and ski somewhere besides Massachusetts? Will the vaccinated folks be able to disregard the quarantine piece?
I'm not sure about that. Technically, the vaccine had only been proved to protect the person who took it. It hasn't been proven to stop the person from spreading it.

In reality, I think people who have taken the vaccine is highly likely to subconsciously ignore the social distancing rules, because they felt safe themselves. So any kind of restriction/guideline will start to feel even harder to observe/enforce (than now). Expect to totally abandon those rules/recommendation when sufficiently large percentage of the "at risk" population got vaccinated.

Got help those who're at the end of line of the vaccination schedule.

Last edited:

dblskifanatic

I'm not sure about that. Technically, the vaccine had only been proved to protect the person who took it. It hasn't been proven to stop the person from spreading it.

If the vaccine helps you to not contract covid then, how do you spread it?

cdskier

If the vaccine helps you to not contract covid then, how do you spread it?

In short, it helps your body fight it off faster than it can create symptoms in you, but you could still "potentially" be contagious at some point if you were exposed. Bottom line is there's not enough data to know yet whether the vaccines just protect the vaccinated person or whether they also stop that person from potentially being a silent spreader as well.