• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

ss20 Takes on Utah

ss20

Resort or Ski Area
AltaBird
Date
Nov 21, 2021
Snow Conditions
  1. Powder
For anyone interested who didn't see my post this summer....this is what I'm doing this winter...https://forums.alpinezone.com/threads/some-good-personal-news.143385/

I haven't posted much the past two weeks...been driving cross country. Finally rolled into SLC on Sunday. My gear is in my locker in Alta and I'm almost ready to go. It's been a kinda weird start to the season around here. Tons of October snow that fell up high. Very poor conditions and very warm down low though. For example, I've been told Alta is skiing beautifully up high. Coverage looks good to me. But down at the base of Alta/Snowbird there's almost nothing save what they've been able to make the few times it's been cold enough. Park City/Deer Valley have essentially nothing and their ability to open in the next two weeks looks incredibly bleak. Brighton opened yesterday afternoon and Solitude opened today I believe. A couple inches in LCC/BCC tonight and very cold temps before warming up (again) for the weekend and beyond.

I hope to get up to Alta and actually ski in the next week. I'm in no rush; it's a long season. I waited a long time for this and another few days won't kill me as I get acclimated to my new surroundings.

I hope to post in here every couple weeks to give you guys some cubicle pick-me-ups! Now watch Vermont get an epic 300" season and we get nothing out here, lol.

ThatGuy

Happy to hear you made it there safe! When do you start instructing?

abc

I hope to post in here every couple weeks to give you guys some cubicle pick-me-ups!
Looking forward to hear your stories from Utah.

Though like many others, I won't be in any cubicle for quite some time. I may even be in Utah for extended period later in the season, thanks to the luxury of this "new normal" of remote working.

Last edited:

snoseek

totally following this one. It will come, even the lean years are pretty damn good there. If you happen to ride MTB check out Corner Canyon down in draper while its still warm, that place is so fun!

ss20

totally following this one. It will come, even the lean years are pretty damn good there. If you happen to ride MTB check out Corner Canyon down in draper while its still warm, that place is so fun!

Last December 1 I skied Alta for the first time. Conditions were the worst the locals had seen. Low snowpack, hard snow, exposed rocks, etc. I think they had 60" so far and it hadn't snowed more than a couple inches in a week or more. I skied 9:15 (opening bell at Alta) to 4:30 having the time of my life. Skiing on essentially "average" East Coast conditions on gnarly West Coast low-coverage terrain. It was a ball. The narrow and crazy tree chutes on Wildcat. A few bowls off of Sugarloaf were open. And skiers doing absolutely incredible things. Every other run I saw skiers doing backflips off a snowmaking whale under the Collins chair. At points where I had to look and examine at what was some of the most technical terrain I had skied I watched others fly down like they'd been doing it their whole life. I was sold after that. Here I am, a year later.

Opening day must've been a ton of fun today. Last night's dusting-1" turned into 3" and flurries all day. Now we're entering a reallllly long dry spell, but still ahead on snowfall from what I can tell.