• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stenger and Quiros Ousted from Management of Jay Peak and Burke

freeski

If you refurbish a tram don't they last for another 20 years or more. Spend the money fix the tram. Why don't they just pump water up and hold it in a tank?

BenedictGomez

Because BG is bound and determined to convince everyone that the tram at Jay is the stupidest thing ever

To be fair, I dont think I need to convince that many people that it's an inefficient waste of $5M in capital. Sadly, it's really the only thing that can be done at the moment due to the disaster wrought by "EB-5 disaster Ponzi", but that's still an unfortunate outcome that will likely seal the fate of sub-optimal skiing for several additional decades. It's a shame; period.

crystalmountainskier

The U.S. Coast Guard now uses an average of 180lbs per person when figuring how many people a passenger carrying vessel may carry. Now if they would all be Moochele it would be more. Eat a carrot.

For comparison the Jackson Hole tram capacity is 19,709 lbs/100+1 = 195 lbs. per person.

deadheadskier

Staff member
To be fair, I dont think I need to convince that many people that it's an inefficient waste of $5M in capital.

Apparently you missed the part where I actually had a conversation with Jay and the response was -

A. A chair would never run in the wind they get at that exposure

B. A replacement Gondola was priced out at $10M. Not sure what model, but it was deemed even more cost prohibitive.

C. Their marketing department thinks it has value. I'd say they probably know a little bit more about their clientele being up there 365 days a year and having hundreds of thousands of people come through their doors annually whom they get feedback from. I think they have a bit better idea about what's good for their resort than some guy in New Jersey.

Like I said, the Flyer brings you within a fairly easy walk. It's not like you're missing that much terrain if you don't want to walk up that 10-15 minutes. While many might agree it's a lousy lift situation, you're voice/whine knob is turned up to 11 on the issue when most of the rest of us are like..."meh."

VTKilarney

I'm rooting for Jay, but I wouldn't assume that management at Jay always knows best about making capital investments. They lost several million last year despite millions upon millions of "free" dollars spent on capital improvements.

As an example, here is a picture of the Pump House taken over the weekend:

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1465390277.161873.jpg

Has anyone thought about a t-bar to the summit? I know that people want more creature comforts these days, and that weddings will be impacted, but it's a lot cheaper.

My biggest item on the wish-list is an improvement to the Bonnie quad.

JPTracker

I'm rooting for Jay, but I wouldn't assume that management at Jay always knows best about making capital investments. They lost several million last year despite millions upon millions of "free" dollars spent on capital improvements.

Jay did not loose several million last year. They actually made a profit. Wherever you read that they misquoted the numbers.

If Jay was not profitable then the receiver would just shut them down and sell off the assets. They would not put putting more money back into it. After all they make their money when Jay is finally sold. The more it is sold for the more they get.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I recall reading about an alarmingly small profit, (the # $1.6M sticks in my head for some reason), but a profit none the less.

fbrissette

I recall reading about an alarmingly small profit, (the # $1.6M sticks in my head for some reason), but a profit none the less.

According to the receiver, the last fiscal year ran a profit of 2.6M. The losses reported in some newspaper pertain only to the upcoming off-season. Considering last winter, I think this is highly positive, especially considering management was focused on development and not operations.

fbrissette

As an example, here is a picture of the Pump House taken over the weekend:

View attachment 20324

Has anyone thought about a t-bar to the summit? I know that people want more creature comforts these days, and that weddings will be impacted, but it's a lot cheaper.

My biggest item on the wish-list is an improvement to the Bonnie quad.

What's wrong with the Bonnie ?

That pic above must have been taken either at opening or closing. I was at the homeowner BBQ Saturday evening and the waterpark was very well attended. Not packed, bit nothing like your pic.

abc

I'm fairly certain the majority of readers (like 99.9%) realize this, but the use of "Florida" was meant as a facetious example, and not a metaphysical fact beyond any scrutiny.

I could just as easily said "Iowa" or "North Carolina" - but the point remains, Mad River Glen as a ski area is far more well-known than Jay Peak, local geographical biases notwithstanding.
facetious is correct. NY/NJ skiers don't give a damn about mountains north of Killington!

MRG is only well-known because of all the controversy due to its ban on snowboarding. There's nothing "iconic" about its single chair. Many skiers don't even know about that particular fact.

Similarly, a good larger portion of NY/NJ skiers don't know about Sugarbush either. They may have heard of Stowe remotely, albeit being a nice resort that's out of reach. Ask them to place Stowe on the map, you'll be surprised.

In summery, the tram at Jay Peak is no less iconic than the single chair of MRG, which is equally unknown by NY/Nj skiers.

VTKilarney

That pic above must have been taken either at opening or closing. I was at the homeowner BBQ Saturday evening and the waterpark was very well attended. Not packed, bit nothing like your pic.
The picture was taken about an hour prior to closing time.

VTKilarney

According to the receiver, the last fiscal year ran a profit of 2.6M. The losses reported in some newspaper pertain only to the upcoming off-season. Considering last winter, I think this is highly positive, especially considering management was focused on development and not operations.

If that is the case, then this is good news indeed in light of the weather this past winter.

tree_skier

Unless you run the T-Bar along northway, in which case you lose the only EZ run from the top. I don't think it's possible to run a T-bar to the top.

You must be a young un. The little Pico triple used to be a t-bar. When you look at that you can run a t-bar anywhere. cuts down on snowboards and people who shouldn't be there.