• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe/Sugarbush

kingslug

Interesting trail reports from both. Stowe has almost all diamond and double D trails closed due to ...ice...The Bush has all open....hmmmm.....

cdskier

Right. The key will be to wait for MRG to assess their trails and provide a trail count and updated condition report. It could be like WWF says (Sugarbush is VERY lenient with trail openings). Or it could be that conditions are legitimately different between Stowe and Sugarbush.

cdskier

And here's the latest from MRG:

Things have certainly stiffened up with the falling temps so the groomed trails are the pick of the day today. The patrol has opted to close down the steeper terrain today as the new snowfall is bonding nicely to the snow pack. Our hope is that by keeping skiers off these trails the surfaces will be improved for the long-term

cdskier

Stowe has since reopened most of their ungroomed terrain now as well (although they are still suggesting that you're better off sticking to the groomed runs).

Meanwhile here in NJ I'm watching 10-14 inches pile up outside.

jimmywilson69

Don't confuse the term "open" with a trail that you would actually want to ski

I refer to this as "Sugarbush Open". I appreciate that they let me decide whether the slope should be skied. Many times its just think cover, but they often open the frozen solid ice mogul runs, too.

kingslug

Was really hoping to ski Goat...only skied the middle of it after 8 inches dumped on the ice...so..hoping this weekend they get at least enough to make it..survive able...and haven't hit Castlerock since I hiked it 2 summers ago...

KustyTheKlown

I refer to this as "Sugarbush Open". I appreciate that they let me decide whether the slope should be skied. Many times its just think cover, but they often open the frozen solid ice mogul runs, too.

agreed. they have the most liberal policy. clearly mark it as thin/rocks/experts only/ice etc at the top, and let people choose for themselves. i dig it.

Bassil

How's Stowe doing now? Good cover?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone