• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Thread

ThatGuy

The best Stowe thread on this forum…

abc

Yep. I'd rather drive 7hrs for multiple 4 day trips with great skiing (and blacks more than likely to be open) than 2 for the mess that's now Hunter.
Well, you're comparing 2 Vail properties. That's not all that meaningful of a comparison. Like, is Russia a better country to live than Cuba?

cdskier

(I'm not a fan of long running threads. There's facebook for that. Why reinvent a worse version of what FB does so well? )

Not really sure I understand this comment. I think a long-running thread in a forum is vastly different than anything you'd find on FB. Take the Sugarbush thread for example...there's absolutely nothing on FB with that level of detail and personal knowledge about SB.

FB is also an absolutely terrible platform for searching or trying to go back and look at older info. A very specific forum like this one is night and day ahead of FB. There may be more people using FB and other social media...but that doesn't mean the quality of the info is better.

abc

FB is also an absolutely terrible platform for searching or trying to go back and look at older info.
But that's exactly the reason why I dislike long running threads!

How do you search a long running thread if you don't know precisely what was written? Buried inside a 30 page thread, there's no good way to "search"! You may gamble with a key word or another, you may find 50 posts that has that keyword but got nothing to do with what you'd like to find.

I hate FB for that very reason. And I hate it just as much when people emulate FB when we're not even on FB!

abc

Instead of reviving an old thread, the poster could have start a specific thread with clear title of "Easy Black Runs in Stowe?"

It would be much easier for future searchers to skip this thread or look closer into it. Instead, they now have to dig into each and every post that will come to this thread for the next 5 months!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am glad that I skied it the few times that I did. My only regret is that I did not ski it sooner. I am also glad that I did a night there as nightskiing is no more. That is a shame considering that they had a decent nightskiing option. I will have to dig up some of my pictures from my visits there.

kendo

Instead of reviving an old thread, the poster could have start a specific thread with clear title of "Easy Black Runs in Stowe?"

It would be much easier for future searchers to skip this thread or look closer into it. Instead, they now have to dig into each and every post that will come to this thread for the next 5 months!

One can Google 'easy black runs at Stowe' and the 2020 reddit that's first up has the same info the OP received in this thread.

Guess I see more value in having a long running thread (ongoing conversation) dedicated to a specific resort... especially if someone like WinS is engaged in the thread. His transparency and contributions are simply great for the SB community.

And because of this 'Stowe thread', I'll now be looking for an orphaned ski next week. 😁

kendo

Hoping the 'north of I-89 frost line' holds true and temps drop in our favor...

SnowRock

Missed opening day for the first time in 10 years at the original VT Vail but will be up next weekend and again after Christmas. Don’t love the weather outlook over the next two but maybe it changes a bit after that.

hovercraft

I must say that Stowe has done a great job on the grooming side of life this year. After Mondays rain event they were able to bring the trails back into shape yesterday and the mountain really rode well today. They have done that a couple times this year. Hats off to them!!!!

Kingslug20

Stuck this weekend moving the last stuff out of the house..then its off to VT the 26th..then I'm up there for good...then it will snow!

hovercraft

Stuck this weekend moving the last stuff out of the house..then its off to VT the 26th..then I'm up there for good...then it will snow!
The good news, the mountain is not crowed compared to last year. With full lift capacity, kids back in school, no remote living, it’s ride on up to the lift. On another note I like the new addition of an afternoon snow update for the next day! Now we need snow!!!!!

Granite1

I was there yesterday-Friday-a real nice day. Lift line a couple of minutes most of the day. Slopes were pretty much open all day. Some low angle glades were skiable.
I really like that they open at 8am everyday (7:30 on Saturday). Every ski area should have at least one lift open at 8am.

Attachments

• IMG_0655.JPG
    IMG_0655.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0657.JPG
    IMG_0657.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0658.JPG
    IMG_0658.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0667.JPG
    IMG_0667.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • VYSC5606.PNG
    VYSC5606.PNG
    151.9 KB · Views: 20

Granite1

On one of my lift rides I met the Food & Beverage director at Stowe and we talked about staffing levels. His F&B department is at 50%, and the most staffing at any department at Stowe is at 70%. Snowmaking is about 60% he said. I told him, "sign of the times". On another lift ride a local told me about a friend that was offered a job making snow on the graveyard shift for $15 an hour. I said, "are you f-cking serious"? Sign of the times.

Kingslug20

15 bucks an hour to freeze your ass off..or work at a department store for 18...hmm
I wonder when vail will realize...that it aint working anymore!..no one wants these hard jobs for shit pay...

Kingslug20

Yup..so i have to wonder..what makes vail think anyone wants these jobs..when so many easier ones are available?..
Some one..has to get their head..out of their ass and do something...
Or just not care..and let theur vaunted " vail experience"..degrade even further..

kendo

Last March I was talking with a valet at the Lodge at Spruce Peak. Former snowmaker... said he makes alot more with tips parking cars and schlepping bags & gear.