• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe Thread

Smellytele

The thing with ski and binding weight..and boot weight is the effect on your poor knees.
I went with light weight everything for this reason. I discovered all this when I had to buy AT boots and bindings for my climb up alta.
It's like losing weight...your knees really feel it.
I know so many people who..at around 60 have had or are due for knee replacement.
Skiing is not friendly to legs..not sure if we are really designed for it.
Mine are good so far. Working out for 45 years I'm sure has helped...but anything to reduce strain on them is a good thing.
You don’t think working out puts stress on your knees?

kendo

I can’t believe that none of you are talking about the big news….

I can't believe it's news that a development project in VT has stirred up controversy or opposition!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Stowe getting a SBUX is so on-brand for "new Stowe".
"Absolutely. I've gotta have my Starbucks ready for me wherever I go!"

RobKatz2.jpg

Hawk

I don't think this is news worthy at all. People like what they like. I am sure when people boycotte Starbucks or whatever, they will not make the margin's they need and it will get closed in a couple of years. There were 7 starbucks within 3 blocks of my office before covid. Now there are only 4. The other 3 did not make thier margins so......X. I have an esspresso machine and make my own so I don't usually have the need for a $5 cup of coffee from anywhere.

Hawk

and what is the difference if it is Starbucks, Hortons, Pete's, whatever. Whatever your sterotypic view is, maybe you should cut them some slack. They are an american business after all and a very successful one at that. Their model is studied in most business schools.

thetrailboss

Staff member
and what is the difference if it is Starbucks, Hortons, Pete's, whatever. Whatever your sterotypic view is, maybe you should cut them some slack. They are an american business after all and a very successful one at that. Their model is studied in most business schools.
Absolutely. A good example is just one town over. Green Mountain Coffee is not a local roaster out of a small shop. It is a multinational company that is publicly traded. Its connection to Vermont is slowly disappearing.

Hawk

Keurig is not my idea of a coffee shop company or Local company. They dont set up shop in your town. The places above I was refering to do. They are a producer of the worst abomination of coffee out there. Green mountain Coffee lost thier idenity long ago with those guys. If you are drinking coffee out of that machine then my discussion about coffee with you is over.

urungus

The difference is, the money taken in by a local business tends to re-circulate in town, rather than being sucked out the local community to corporate headquarters. Replacing a locally owned business with a chain takes away local flavor from the town, if all you see going down the street is Starbucks, McDonalds, Walmart, Super-8 you could be anywhere. Also - Hortons is not American. (I guess technically, they are “North” American)

Last edited:

crystalmountainskier

The difference is, the money taken in by a local business tends to re-circulate in town, rather than being sucked out the local community to corporate headquarters. Replacing a locally owned business with a chain takes away local flavor from the town, if all you see going down the street is Starbucks, McDonalds, Walmart, Super-8 you could be anywhere. Also - Hortons is not American. (I guess technically, they are “North” American)

McDonald's and Super 8 are franchises. You may well be supporting a local business at any given location. Starbucks locations are usually corporate but not always. Both Vail and Alterra operate Starbucks locations within their resorts.