• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush lodging

Bene288

Wow these all sound like good options. Very reasonable too. Should add that I've never skied SB, is the Mt. Ellen side good to start at? I hear a lot of you guys like to ski over there.

dlague

Availability might be an issue at this time. Then again the season has not been that great so it might work out. Sugarbush Inn was mentioned earlier and it is close. A cool place to eat but gets busy is Mad River Barn.

Smellytele

Wow these all sound like good options. Very reasonable too. Should add that I've never skied SB, is the Mt. Ellen side good to start at? I hear a lot of you guys like to ski over there.

The connecting lift may not be running on the 8th but it maybe. It seems that when I have been on weekdays this lift doesn't always run. I could be way off because it has been a few years since I have been mid season on a weekday. (although I will be there this year last week of Feb)

xwhaler

The connecting lift may not be running on the 8th but it maybe. It seems that when I have been on weekdays this lift doesn't always run. I could be way off because it has been a few years since I have been mid season on a weekday. (although I will be there this year last week of Feb)

Pulled from their website---I hope it runs because we are likely starting next Wed at ME but will ride the chair over to Castlerock if it looks good.
Slide Brook Express QuadNorth Lynx PeakM - F: 10:00 AM - 3:15 PM WKND & HOL: 10:00 AM - 3:15 PM

HowieT2

they experimented with not running the slidebrook midweek non holiday a few years ago, but it runs daily now.

HowieT2

depends what you are looking for. Mt ellen only ticket is considerably cheaper. But there are good groomers and woods there. It skis much narrower than lincoln peak. what I mean is, the groomers at mt ellen are all bunched together and similar, whereas at lincoln peak, the layout is more spread out and diverse.
On weekends/holidays people go to mt ellen to avoid the crowds (to the extent there are any) at lincoln peak.

rocks860

We've stayed at the sugar lodge on the access road to Lincoln peak a couple times during the summer. Clean rooms and good breakfast, not too expensive from what I remember either. I'm up there right now and the slidebrook lift has been running

cdskier

Yes, Slide Brook runs all the time now 7 days a week as long as there is sufficient snow pack under the lift for patrol and mechanics to access the liftline via snowmobile. Temps also must be above 5 degrees along the liftline.

If you had recent snow, Mt ellen will typically get skied off not as quickly as Lincoln Peak just due to the amount of people. Both LP and ME are fun in their own ways. I'd encourage you to ski both and decide what you like best. The main time I go over to ME is on Saturdays to avoid any crowds at LP.

KustyTheKlown

i think i prefer the in bounds glades at mount ellen overall, but the paradise woods and church terrain at lincoln peak is the best stuff at sugarbush

dlague

Mt Ellen is a great place to start - fewer people and the goods stay in decent shape. The drawback - by the time you get to SB proper - it can be skied off. We have flipped flopped that logic and it seems like many start at SB then go to MT Ellen since it stays in better shape. We have done both and always on the weekend and starting at Mt Ellen worked out well and we got spoiled. BTW a local suggested starting over there due to lift lines at SB on weekends.

Bene288

Yes, Slide Brook runs all the time now 7 days a week as long as there is sufficient snow pack under the lift for patrol and mechanics to access the liftline via snowmobile. Temps also must be above 5 degrees along the liftline.

If you had recent snow, Mt ellen will typically get skied off not as quickly as Lincoln Peak just due to the amount of people. Both LP and ME are fun in their own ways. I'd encourage you to ski both and decide what you like best. The main time I go over to ME is on Saturdays to avoid any crowds at LP.

That is why we're doing two days. Advanced tickets were reasonable at 66 a day. And it seems I can get a room somewhere for around 100. Just seems like a good place to ski for two days. I e heard it's challenging and the woods are really fun.

I usually try to ski Super Bowl day. Usually lighter in my experience.

xwhaler

We are starting at ME since they spin the GMX at 8 (for locals) during the week while all other lifts start at 9.
Figure an extra hour of ripping cord or hopefully fresh snow!

Smellytele

Pulled from their website---I hope it runs because we are likely starting next Wed at ME but will ride the chair over to Castlerock if it looks good.
Slide Brook Express QuadNorth Lynx PeakM - F: 10:00 AM - 3:15 PM WKND & HOL: 10:00 AM - 3:15 PM

Glad they do because it sucked when they didn't. I may start at ME as well when I go in a few weeks

cdskier

We are starting at ME since they spin the GMX at 8 (for locals) during the week while all other lifts start at 9.
Figure an extra hour of ripping cord or hopefully fresh snow!

Good point. On weekends Lincoln Peak has both Super Bravo and Heaven's Gate open at 8 as well. This past Sunday I took advantage of that and was able to get quite a few awesome runs in at LP with practically no one there on freshly groomed trails. If you're skiing on Sunday, I'd actually perhaps consider starting at LP since those 2 lifts running at 8 gives you access to the majority of their terrain. The only thing you can't access at 8 would be the Castlerock, Gate House, and North Lynx areas. You can easily do a few runs off the Heaven's Gate chair and Bravo and then head over to one of those areas for 9 when they open.

Midweek if you want to hit the early runs then it makes sense to start at ME since they open GMX at 8 now.

cdskier

That is why we're doing two days. Advanced tickets were reasonable at 66 a day. And it seems I can get a room somewhere for around 100. Just seems like a good place to ski for two days. I e heard it's challenging and the woods are really fun.

It is certainly a great place to ski.

If you discover that you enjoy Sugarbush, next year you should keep an eye out in the fall for Sugarbush to put their "Quad Packs" on sale. This year they sold them for $229. For that price you get 4 unrestricted lift tickets which is a great deal if you only ski there once in a while. You can use multiple tickets on the same day as well (so 2 people skiing 2 days works out perfectly with 1 Quad Pack). The only restriction on the quad pack is that the person that buys them has to be the same person that claims the tickets at the ticket window. They are typically on sale until the end of November.

Bene288

It is certainly a great place to ski.

If you discover that you enjoy Sugarbush, next year you should keep an eye out in the fall for Sugarbush to put their "Quad Packs" on sale. This year they sold them for $229. For that price you get 4 unrestricted lift tickets which is a great deal if you only ski there once in a while. You can use multiple tickets on the same day as well (so 2 people skiing 2 days works out perfectly with 1 Quad Pack). The only restriction on the quad pack is that the person that buys them has to be the same person that claims the tickets at the ticket window. They are typically on sale until the end of November.

Sounds like a great deal. I was surprised how reasonable I can find tickets. I thought SB was a mega resort like Stowe or Kmart. It seems more laid back, but I could be wrong.

The long term forecast doesn't have much snow in the mix. Does it ski alright without fresh snow?

cdskier

Sounds like a great deal. I was surprised how reasonable I can find tickets. I thought SB was a mega resort like Stowe or Kmart. It seems more laid back, but I could be wrong.

The long term forecast doesn't have much snow in the mix. Does it ski alright without fresh snow?

I'd tend to agree it is definitely more laid back. They don't have the big party scene that K has, but the Mad River Valley has some excellent restaurant choices.

As for your question about snow... All depends on the exact weather, but they do have quite a bit of trails covered with snow-making and those this year have been skiing pretty well for the most part. Without fresh snow the natural trails could be hit or miss depending on the exact trail. Some hold snow better than others. Right now many of them are getting to the point where they could use more snow though.

rocks860

Unrelated to lodging but they opened a new restaurant where the den used to be. It's called blue stone and apparently there's another one in Waterbury. I'm there right now and the beer selection is glorious. I'll let you guys know how the food is.