• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SugarBush or Killington?

Greg

Staff member
Killington has some good skiing and gets a bad rap. For me, it really the only viable option for "big mountain" skiing to do as a day trip. But as far as terrain goes it can't hold a candle to Sugarbush. I think of the skiing in the MRV as a whole, so Sugarbush + MRG is a tough combo to beat.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Killington has some great varied terrain, the one thing it's missing as opposed to other mountains such as Sugarbush is continuous vertical. So my answer, I like em both.

Greg

Staff member
Where is the great terrain that sugarbush has that killington doesn't have???

Twist, Moonshine, Mall, Domino, Spillsville, Paradise, CR Run, Liftline, Rumble, Middle Earth, Morning Star. Those are my favorites at LP. Haven't hit much of the on map woods, but know of some cool shots off Organgrinder, Middle Earth, Rumble and Jester. Only have a handful of days at Mount Ellen, but many people claim there are some good bump runs over there. I've skied great bumps on Exterm, Cliffs and Hammerhead. Black Diamond looks sick. Semi-tough is nice as well as the adjoining woods.

I'm sure Killington has a lot of off map stuff which I have no clue about, but the only trails there I've done recently that have really excited me were Needles Liftline, Vertigo, Catwalk, Royal Flush, Northstar, Low Rider, Patsy's and Squeezeplay.

Again, I think of the MRV as a whole so when talking Sugarbush, I immediately think MRG too. Haven't been to Pico yet. I'd imagine I'd like it, but I wouldn't think it compliments Killington as much as MRG does SB.

WWF-VT

Haven't been to Killington in years and no desire to go back. Completley different vibe in the MRV not to mention the choices of Lincoln Peak, Slide Brook, Mt Ellen and Mad River Glen

Tin Woodsman

Where is the great terrain that sugarbush has that killington doesn't have???

As others have mentioned up thread, it comes from longer fall lines and better trails. At Killington, there are two lifts (Skyeship Stage 1 doesn't count for obvious reasons) with vertical drops of more than 1500' - the K-1 and Skye Peak Express. At Sugarbush, despite having 1/2 as many lifts, there are 4 exceeding that figure (Bravo, Castlerock, GMX and North Ridge). You get longer runs, which tend to be more interesting.

K-Mart long ago forfeited most of its character by widening and straightening trails so they could handle more people and make snowmaking easier. Much of Snowden, Double Dipper, Stupidstar, Skyelark and Cascade are all shadows of their former selves. OL, Fiddle, and Ovation are largely ill-conceived for eastern skiing.

In contrast, the trails that Greg lists above, along with Brambles, Semi-tough, Walt's Trail, Hammerhead, Tumbler, Black Diamond and Bravo at Mt. Ellen have few equals at K. They are all either narrow, filled with turns, or both. They are all distinctive in one way or another.
-
Don't really want to get into the backcountry, sidecountry, and MRG-country issues, but it's expansive.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Haven't been to Killington in years and no desire to go back. Completley different vibe in the MRV not to mention the choices of Lincoln Peak, Slide Brook, Mt Ellen and Mad River Glen
I have a total desire to go back to Killington since the change in management. The price of admission might keep me away though. The "vibe" of the MRV is probably one of the things I don't like about the location. I am going to abstain from the vote though as I have not skied either location fully enough but I am fairly certain Bush gets more snow and has more expansive tree options, so that would be my pick if I am correct in those two assumptions. Bush does have some of the worst flat run outs around though... I will never get over that and count it as one of its worst negatives.

sLoPeS

Even though i ski K a lot and know most of the stashes around the mtn, i do wish i was closer to the bush. i havent skied SB in years but i know there is some serious terrain in/around that place. i would like to get up there again when its deep mid season but if im driving north i might as well keeping trucking it up to stowe or jay. the snowfall between the 2 isnt much different. sometimes K will come out on top, other times sugarbush. Killington does struggle when it comes to max vert per lift ride, but you can stretch it a little. when im parked at the base of skyship, my last run is normally from the top and you do get a nice long run there. Killington can expand terrain very quickly and it wins the early season hands down. If they stay open......they win the late season hands down. I think if you took an expert skier from out west and took them to both they would like sugarbush more. if that skier followed some locals around at both places, id think they would say pretty much the same thing (ill give the bush the win in that category). and apres.........thats an easy one.

True at ME but at the main mountain LP definately not true.

LP definitely has some bad run outs:

Bottom of N. Linx say Birch run to Hot Shot/Sleeper or even getting off the SBX to the aformentioned.
Beginning of Castle Rock connection (I dust my knuckle dragging brother on that one all the time!) and the VH Traverse to name a few.....Ride with a boarder and they will tell you!