• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summarize the 2011-2012 season in one word.

Riverskier

well you can certainly tell the glass half full vs. half empty types in this thread.

I am definitely a glass half full guy, when it comes to skiing anyway, and I am sure many others with positive comments are as well. However, you definitely see a positive theme among Boyne passholders. I can only speak for SR, but they put out an incredible product every weekend despite overall crappy weather, the season started in October, they are still making snow, and the season will extend until at least mid April.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
well you can certainly tell the glass half full vs. half empty types in this thread.

Or the people who are lucky enough to arrange their calendars to ski when conditions are good and take care of business when conditions are bad vs the rest of us who ski when we can and hope to strike it rich.

And no matter what your experience has been like up to this point, the fact remains that it isn't even April, and you can count on one hand the number of resorts still open in the East.

Puck it

This was the worst ski season weather wise in my entire lifetime.

Obviously not old enough to remember I think it was 77 or 78 season. No snow at all in the Nrotheast but cold. Snowmaking did not really take off yet. Had to ski Snow Ridge in NY since it had lake effect.

Calling Warp Daddy, I know you will remember this like I do.

Riverskier

And no matter what your experience has been like up to this point, the fact remains that it isn't even April, and you can count on one hand the number of resorts still open in the East.

True, but that only really matters if the area you would like to go to is closed. Don't get me wrong, I wish all ski areas success, and wish that all ski areas in New England were still open. However, what happens at other ski areas that I wasn't planning on visiting anyway is not going affect how I reflect on my season.

wtcobb

Sporadic.

I had some great weekends spread out throughout the season, plus an incredible trip out west. It just felt like too few and far between, especially after the epic season last year.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Obviously not old enough to remember I think it was 77 or 78 season. No snow at all in the Nrotheast but cold. Snowmaking did not really take off yet. Had to ski Snow Ridge in NY since it had lake effect.

Calling Warp Daddy, I know you will remember this like I do.

Wasn't a skier, but do very much remember the blizzard of 78.

So, you must be remembering 1977. Perhaps, up your does of geritol for a more accurate recollection. :razz:

Warp Daddy

skiingisalwaysBetterthanbeingdeadsowhilenevergettingenoughitwasgreattobeoutthere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah i remember it Puckster

but also remember some yrs in the early 70's when the snowbanks here were so freaking DEEP b4 christmas that my kids had tunnels running thru them :D:D and my Labradors were in snow up over their rearends and were running around frantically looking for a good place to drop a load --heheheehehe

Smellytele

Must be a freaky hand like Jim Carry's in Almighty Bruce - 3 open in NH, 4 in VT, not sure but at least 2 in ME

Puck it

skiingisalwaysBetterthanbeingdeadsowhilenevergettingenoughitwasgreattobeoutthere !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hell yeah i remember it Puckster

but also remember some yrs in the early 70's when the snowbanks here were so freaking DEEP b4 christmas that my kids had tunnels running thru them :D:D and my Labradors were in snow up over their rearends and were running around frantically looking for a good place to drop a load --heheheehehe

I don't think it was 77 because we got hit bad by that Blizzard. It must have been 78 or 79 then. It was a horrendous year for skiing whichever one it was. Everybody started to lay snowmaking pipe in the years that followed.

legalskier

Xanadu?...........

url

Puck it

Wasn't a skier, but do very much remember the blizzard of 78.

So, you must be remembering 1977. Perhaps, up your does of geritol for a more accurate recollection. :razz:

And you needed to wipe the snort off your nose!!!!!:beer:. Oh wait your mom was still doing that or were still breast feedinng.:razz: