• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2024 improvements

EPB

I really wish they'd go with a gondi. Take ~half of the chairs off the Cannonball quad and switch the midweek operating plan to gondi/Peabody instead of Cannonball/Zoomer/Peabody.

Also, it looks like the Ramrod redesign will more or less reclaim the old double lines per the 1985 trail map below if I'm thinking about it right:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Pretty sure the state of NH figured they could "squeeze" lift manufacturers, just like they "squeeze" Healthcare providers with low ball bids... Unlike the 10's of thousands of Healthcare providers of which some will certainly bite at the low ball numbers based on volume, the 2 ski lift manufacturers capable of this project, both laughed at the squeeze play bid vs the reality of the numerous other job contract offers they have/accept
Yeah, ski lifts are specialized and now there are essentially two players. So that doesn't work.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I really wish they'd go with a gondi. Take ~half of the chairs off the Cannonball quad and switch the midweek operating plan to gondi/Peabody instead of Cannonball/Zoomer/Peabody.

Also, it looks like the Ramrod redesign will more or less reclaim the old double lines per the 1985 trail map below if I'm thinking about it right:

I certainly hope they carry the trail that far down Middle Trigger so that it's a decent length run.

I'll be interested to see if they widen Hot Shot a bit near the top. First couple hundred yards are a bit narrow for snowmaking.

RH29

Some good upgrades in Southern New England. Sundown getting a carpet loaded quad (which probably will only make the trail crowding worse) and Wachusett getting a HS6 to replace their Summit lift. Berkshire East expansion on hold again...

urungus

Some good upgrades in Southern New England. Sundown getting a carpet loaded quad (which probably will only make the trail crowding worse) and Wachusett getting a HS6 to replace their Summit lift. Berkshire East expansion on hold again...
Has Wachusett 6-pack been officially announced ? Last I heard they were “in talks” for a possible replacement to open next summer

Newpylong

I certainly hope they carry the trail that far down Middle Trigger so that it's a decent length run.

I'll be interested to see if they widen Hot Shot a bit near the top. First couple hundred yards are a bit narrow for snowmaking.
The plan as described is to go down to at least Trigger, unsure if all the way down to Ramrod Race. Assume they will recut the old liftline.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Well to get to Ram Rod Race, it would have to cross Trigger and go through a couple hundred yards of forest. Haha.

I expect it to end at the top of Middle Trigger where you can split off to the Tiger pod. But it would be sweet if it carried all the way down to the bottom of Middle Trigger where it flattens. That lower area would have great pitch.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Is the Wachusett project this summer or next year?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nooooo......relocating the base ruins the one last refuge from the crowds. Baby Thunder gets too warm.
Yeah, they are moving down to near where the race building is in the Creekside area. Seems like there now may be too many buildings/structures in that with this addition.

doublediamond

Wawa’s HS6 is not for this summer and is not official yet. They’ve been thinking about it since before COVID.

Newpylong

Well to get to Ram Rod Race, it would have to cross Trigger and go through a couple hundred yards of forest. Haha.

I expect it to end at the top of Middle Trigger where you can split off to the Tiger pod. But it would be sweet if it carried all the way down to the bottom of Middle Trigger where it flattens. That lower area would have great pitch.
The project is described as "paralleling the Panorama Quad and intersecting Middle Trigger". To me that means they will just follow the old route straight down to Middle Trigger and not veer to the left towards the Tiger area at all. That would be a very short trail extension and not worth it IMHO.Untitled.jpg

Zand

Wawa’s HS6 is not for this summer and is not official yet. They’ve been thinking about it since before COVID.
I would have to look it up but there was an article in the Worcester Telegram about 2 weeks ago where they basically confirmed the 6 is happening in the summer of 2025.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would have to look it up but there was an article in the Worcester Telegram about 2 weeks ago where they basically confirmed the 6 is happening in the summer of 2025.
I think I saw LiftBlog cite to that article.

EPB

The project is described as "paralleling the Panorama Quad and intersecting Middle Trigger". To me that means they will just follow the old route straight down to Middle Trigger and not veer to the left towards the Tiger area at all. That would be a very short trail extension and not worth it IMHO.View attachment 62450
That's how I read it, but nether would surprise me. Our read would certainly be more interesting. Good for them either way. I don't think I've ever been down Hot Shot, as every time I've been has been as a racer or spectator in mid March when it seemed to always be about 50 degrees out.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The project is described as "paralleling the Panorama Quad and intersecting Middle Trigger". To me that means they will just follow the old route straight down to Middle Trigger and not veer to the left towards the Tiger area at all. That would be a very short trail extension and not worth it IMHO.View attachment 62450

That's what I'm hoping for. When they initially talked about it last year , they just said a bit of an extension and regrading because as it is today, you have to walk uphill about 50 feet to get to Trigger. So carrying it all the way down the fall line will be much better

bigbob

I agree with a gondola rather than a Tram, way more capacity. But the Tram will run in much higher winds. Cannon tends to be a bit breezy at times.

urungus

I linked to that article at 8:14 this morning, here it is again

Zand