• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Summer 2024 improvements

BenedictGomez

Yes the rope tow snowpine lift and alta lodge tow are completely free no ticket or registration required.

That's cool, but it looks like it's just a really short / flat bunny hill though. That's one thing I appreciate about PC, the bunny hill (Mellow Moose) is a good 2000 feet long with 300 feet of vertical for the little ones.

I did see that Alta sells $20 tix for Sunnyside though, I'd definitely pay $60 for the fam to do that even though it's only for 1.5 hours as it seems like pretty perfect terrain for those who've graduated off the bunny hill. That's a PC weakness, very few beginner trails. Here's the thing though, is closing day really April 21st or did I miss an extension? It seems ludicrous to me that PC could be open past Alta.

thetrailboss

Staff member
That's cool, but it looks like it's just a really short / flat bunny hill though. That's one thing I appreciate about PC, the bunny hill (Mellow Moose) is a good 2000 feet long with 300 feet of vertical for the little ones.

I did see that Alta sells $20 tix for Sunnyside though, I'd definitely pay $60 for the fam to do that even though it's only for 1.5 hours as it seems like pretty perfect terrain for those who've graduated off the bunny hill. That's a PC weakness, very few beginner trails. Here's the thing though, is closing day really April 21st or did I miss an extension? It seems ludicrous to me that PC could be open past Alta.
Sunnyside is perfect for green circle folks just getting off the bunny slope.

Puck it

Heard Cannon is installing new pumps so they will be able to make snow at Cannon and Mittersill simutaneously
That was last year. The rebuilt pumps with in house personal and added a new valve to allow it. And they did blow both at the same time.

oldfartrider

According to Cannon web site tram rides open Memorial Day weekend so I guess replacement is put off at least another year

ceo

I'd expect permitting, design, planning etc. to take up to a year even after a deal is signed, so no surprise there.

The project is described as "paralleling the Panorama Quad and intersecting Middle Trigger". To me that means they will just follow the old route straight down to Middle Trigger and not veer to the left towards the Tiger area at all. That would be a very short trail extension and not worth it IMHO.View attachment 62450
At present, it's flagged to simply align with the entrance to Trigger Link.

deadheadskier

Staff member
At present, it's flagged to simply align with the entrance to Trigger Link.

While better than nothing, that's what I was not hoping for. They're basically adding just enough to eliminate the walk uphill to Trigger as it currently stands. Carrying it all the way down to the flats would have been great. Perhaps they don't see the ROI. I imagine reclaiming that additional length would not be cheap and the county might not sign off on it.

Newpylong

While better than nothing, that's what I was not hoping for. They're basically adding just enough to eliminate the walk uphill to Trigger as it currently stands. Carrying it all the way down to the flats would have been great. Perhaps they don't see the ROI. I imagine reclaiming that additional length would not be cheap and the county might not sign off on it.
Yeah that was my thought too, why bother...

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah that was my thought too, why bother...

Any additional reliable acreage off the top will help preserve snow conditions longer into the day on the four existing snowmaking trails. So, adding just that addition of Upper Ram Rod plus Hot Shot will definitely have a positive impact. Both those trails are lucky to be open about ten days a season on natural snow. It's just not as good as what would have been by essentially adding another TTB run.

What I'll be curious to see is will they increase their capacity before selling out by adding this additional acreage and how that impacts lines, which aren't really ever that bad currently. Most Saturdays peak season sell out and the crowds are totally manageable on those days.

My hope is that they continue to demonstrate strong enough financials that they can push for even bigger projects. The HSQ going from the basin behind Pistol on up to the summit with added trails would be a real game changer. Lotta money to do it though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's apparently where all Alta's extreme skiers earn respect.

So Vail Ridge, and some of the trees, are the notable exceptions in Sunnyside to the green and blue cruisers. Vail Ridge is short but fun.

It's not like Baby Thunder at Snowbird that has black diamond runs all around.....

thetrailboss

Staff member

Interesting read.

Newpylong

Any additional reliable acreage off the top will help preserve snow conditions longer into the day on the four existing snowmaking trails. So, adding just that addition of Upper Ram Rod plus Hot Shot will definitely have a positive impact. Both those trails are lucky to be open about ten days a season on natural snow. It's just not as good as what would have been by essentially adding another TTB run.

What I'll be curious to see is will they increase their capacity before selling out by adding this additional acreage and how that impacts lines, which aren't really ever that bad currently. Most Saturdays peak season sell out and the crowds are totally manageable on those days.

My hope is that they continue to demonstrate strong enough financials that they can push for even bigger projects. The HSQ going from the basin behind Pistol on up to the summit with added trails would be a real game changer. Lotta money to do it though.
I meant just that relatively short extension of Upper Ramrod vs just installing snowmaking on the existing trail. But I guess it would still create another full route off the top if the new section funnels into Trigger Link as mentioned above.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Back out west:

Deer Valley: as many as three new lifts this season in their expanded area;

Snowbird: replacing Wilbere and renovating Mid Gad lodge;

Brighton: more bike trails, snowmaking work.

machski

It appears SR is changing out its SR7 tower guns on White Heat and going with HKD Impulse Guns on that run. Hmmm, we'll see how that works out. I'm not sold that will = an improvement.