• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunapee Lawsuit Update

SIKSKIER

So the lease is a 20 year with a 20 year option by the Muellers.Its been 15 years so I wonder if this lawsuit fails if they walk away after 5 more years.Then what?Does the state operate it again if it can't find a new company to operate it?Interesting.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So the lease is a 20 year with a 20 year option by the Muellers.Its been 15 years so I wonder if this lawsuit fails if they walk away after 5 more years.Then what?Does the state operate it again if it can't find a new company to operate it?Interesting.

Either one. I'm sure that the lease puts the Muellers on the hook for lease payments for those years.

And this is all over the state refusing to grant them the right to connect the resort to their private piece of land, right? More specifically, the fact that the state won't allow them to build a couple trails through the "buffer" area between the resort and the park.

Puck it

Either one. I'm sure that the lease puts the Muellers on the hook for lease payments for those years.

And this is all over the state refusing to grant them the right to connect the resort to their private piece of land, right? More specifically, the fact that the state won't allow them to build a couple trails through the "buffer" area between the resort and the park.

I think it is only a 100 yards needed to be added to lease if I remember right.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think it is only a 100 yards needed to be added to lease if I remember right.

That seems to be what I remember as well. Some relatively small area in between the edge of Upper Ridge to their property where they want to build Okemo II.

thetrailboss

Staff member
For those that have no idea what we are talking about, the Muellers own a large tract of land to looker's right of the Ridge Trail and wish to connect it to the ski area. They are planning a big development over there with Condos and what not:

1359479023jpg_render.jpg

Although I must admit that I love this trail map...definitely reflects the whole "Live Free or Die" mentality with NH:

1217746284.jpg

SIKSKIER

This was one of the first "big" mountains I skied when I was a little guy learning.That old trail map brings back memories of the summit chair crossing over the North Peak chair.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This was one of the first "big" mountains I skied when I was a little guy learning.That old trail map brings back memories of the summit chair crossing over the North Peak chair.

I take it that you weren't smoking a pack of Camels on the lift, were you?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Is it the condo development people / courts are focused on blocking or is it the added terrain? One thing is for certain, if there's one mountain in the east that really needs more ski terrain, Sunapee is it. There's probably some smaller areas like Wachusette that have a higher skier density than Sunapee, but I doubt there's an area with more than 1200 vert (except for maybe Loon) that packs that many skier visits into such limited terrain.

What I REALLY care about is getting the express in the Sunbowl and getting a lift up Cataract. Steeper trails could be cut in the area, and would be a quick lap. Take a look at the topography map of that area o.0

thetrailboss

Staff member
The folks I talked to there were opposed to the condos and the large residential area that was going to be literally right on top of a state park.