• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River - 11/22/06

klrskiah

Date(s) Skied: Wednesday 11/22

Resort or Ski Area: Sunday River

Conditions: variable!! (man made powder, ice, slush. grass etc...)

Trip Report: Got to the hill at about 9am and after a little adventure getting stuck on the ice covered hill in the Barker parking lot (i think they blew snow in the lot last night!) headed up lift 1. To start the day there was only one way down jungle road - upper punch - upper cascades - lower monday morning. There were guns going the whole way and it was pretty miserable because the snow was so wet and thick that my skis sank in about 6 inches on some turns. By about 10 they shut down the guns, and as more people mashed up the snow the skiing improved 100%. After the guns shut down they opened up extacy off of barker, and upper punch off of locke accessed by the mid station on the locke tripple. We made some laps on upper punch using the mid station, then did a few more runs down cascades to monday morning. Cascades had full sun all morning and spring conditions with some nice small bumps by the time I left. Overall, the conditions were much better than i expected. there is a huge base on everything except the bottom part of monday morning. When i left at 12:30 they were marking the hazards and filling in the water bars on upper monday morning and that should be open tomorrow also, lower cascades looks like it's almost ready, and T2 might be ready tomorrow too. There was a small rail park set up above the entrance to monday morning but i stayed away from that.
Overall a great day to kick off the season, THANK YOU SNOWMAKERS:-D

BERINNERS BE WARNED: there is no easy way down, and the huge piles make it difficult if you are not a good skiier (as some people found out today)

sorry i didnt get any pics, but the river has some good cam shots up
:snow:

bigbog

Sounds like a pretty accurate TR klrskiah,
It sounds like they're building up for the Demo Daze battle of the wide "do everythings..ie Volkl AC4, Nordica Mach 3 Power....etc" with the mounds....:grin:

Vortex

Nice report. I posted in the trips file a few of us a getting together on Sat and Sunday there is you want to join us, Again Nice report..