• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

thebigo

Best day of the young season. Half a foot plus of excellent base building cement, some mist but no actual rain. Overheard from a couple SR employees they are targeting south ridge for Sunday.

Anyone wondering what they are building at the bottom of jordan? Has the look of a giant igloo. Maybe an ice bar?

Attachments

• 20231122_141822.jpg
    20231122_141822.jpg
    773.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231122_141820.jpg
    20231122_141820.jpg
    1,006.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231122_141652.jpg
    20231122_141652.jpg
    732.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20231122_141648.jpg
    20231122_141648.jpg
    720.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20231122_140726.jpg
    20231122_140726.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18

Newpylong

If they somehow manage to get SR open and connected to Jordan so shortly after opening that's incredible. Their goal when building that system out is to get the place largely covered by Jan 1.

Andrew B.

Ice bar is what I heard
I also understand that NP lodge will be open this weekend
They want to connected Jordan to NP and I think they will run Aurora and use Northern lights and fire star to get you back to Jordan.
Didn’t hear anything about up/down loading on The Chondola but why that would get SR lodge open.

doublediamond

The r been making snow on Paradigm so the triple can be used.

Any word on when Aurora/Paradigm/Spruce opens?

machski

The r been making snow on Paradigm so the triple can be used.

Any word on when Aurora/Paradigm/Spruce opens?
Yeah, they have been blasting AmEx and DD, so guessing they plan to link across. Triple from Aurora unneeded as they have been making Lights Out back to Chondi and NP. Do not think they have made anything much in South Ridge but given the natural, they may be able to make Outta Here into lower SR quickly to get back to Chondi. And with the new automated Dan's on Broadway, that could go quick too.

thebigo

Snow report says tomorrow is pick your peak. Locke open top to bottom for the public, upper punch to Cascades, sounds like T2 still reserved.

machski

Not sure but Sunday River works on the lifts pretty steadily all summer. Doubt if this has changed. Ownership may change ...
Huh?? Barker 6 is brand new and a load test is one of the final items to be done before the lift can open. That was the reference question. And to my knowledge, the load test has not happened yet.
Merrill II got its chairs strung opening week and will get completed for sure but I doubt it spins this season. Most of the trail extensions down to the load were just recently cut and are not de-stumped yet. Also, snowmaking infrastructure for those is not in place as well. Not sure if the skier briidges for some of the runs have been finished as well.

machski

Not that I saw
Pretty sure they are just making DD from Lights Out down to the new last season cut through to AmEx below Chondi unload. Looks like they are making snow for the fastest and shortest connections from Spruce to Aurora and Jordan. Should have Spruce Triple and Aurora Quad in play by Sunday the latest I would guess if not tomorrow. And with any luck, Chondi will spin to allow access out of Southridge with downloading required. That could be a bit of a wait depending on the crowds as they can only download the cabins which are only every 5th carrier.

BodeMiller1

Huh?? Barker 6 is brand new and a load test is one of the final items to be done before the lift can open. That was the reference question. And to my knowledge, the load test has not happened yet.
Merrill II got its chairs strung opening week and will get completed for sure but I doubt it spins this season. Most of the trail extensions down to the load were just recently cut and are not de-stumped yet. Also, snowmaking infrastructure for those is not in place as well. Not sure if the skier briidges for some of the runs have been finished as well.
Les controls the Pheonix. not the Mountain. Guessing he owns a decent amount of land in Maine? I lived by the twin bridges for 8 or so years and didn't ski SR at all. Hitting the Mahoosucs and such. Sunday River is fine when it's right. There are greener pastures out there and in Canada.

thebigo

Northern Lights run of the day. Was expecting bulletproof, found soft and fun man-made. Choke point is F&B, need to get north peak open. Hopefully this weekend.

Attachments

• 20231124_105623.jpg
    20231124_105623.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • 20231124_105620.jpg
    20231124_105620.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 14

Andrew B.

I thought I would avoid some crowds and skied Locke on the mid morning shift.
I avoided crowds and the snow on Upper SP was as nice as the snow in Jordan was yesterday. Cascade was ok, will be better with another groom.

machski

NL was nice yesterday when they first dropped the rope. Just as bigo described. The guns on Firestar not so much, bottom 3 were putting out nearly water. By days end, all lower half guns running on NL/Firestar and Lolla were super wet and the snow showed had been that way for some time. Anything ungroomed with snowmaking could be hard and icy lower half down today. Unsure what we find but Aurora Quad does spin for first time this season today.

thebigo

Did not ride aurora but did ski the kansas/NL/FS loop today and thought it was decent, much better than the whales on Excalibur and rogue before being pushed out. They were shutting down snowmaking on FS mid morning. Rogue skied best it has all year, Excalibur also good with some cookies on the flatter part. Been a good 9 days at SR, going to check out loon tomorrow.

machski

Did not ride aurora but did ski the kansas/NL/FS loop today and thought it was decent, much better than the whales on Excalibur and rogue before being pushed out. They were shutting down snowmaking on FS mid morning. Rogue skied best it has all year, Excalibur also good with some cookies on the flatter part. Been a good 9 days at SR, going to check out loon tomorrow.
I lapped Aurora most of the morning. Below Firestar, skier's right was best. Chunky but soft, better than the frozen whales. Upper was good skier's right but the center coming onto Kansas/LO crosscut was a literal sheet of ice into a that n area with lots of rock showing through. Avoid that by staying hard right at the bottom and it was fun. Very upset to see Princess got re-gunned to Impulse towers from SR7
Not holding my breath on that switch.