• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

powderseeker

Barker 6 is opening on Saturday, Dec. 9, according to this update. I expect that they will start up snowmaking over there somewhat soon, though in theory, they could open with just Ecstasy or Jungle Road. I expect they will want it to be very nice, so open Right Stuff and Lazy River as well.

machski

Barker 6 is opening on Saturday, Dec. 9, according to this update. I expect that they will start up snowmaking over there somewhat soon, though in theory, they could open with just Ecstasy or Jungle Road. I expect they will want it to be very nice, so open Right Stuff and Lazy River as well.
Most likely, they have already laid down a bit on Tourist Trap. They do note this date could push later but given they already have Locke trails running, snowmaking coverage shouldn't be an issue like their excuse for the J8 last year. The plan is to have Spruce and South Ridge up and running this weekend and linked to Aurora/Jordan.

LoafSkier19

Probably 3ish weeks later than usual. Assuming normal early season schedule I feel like it’s always operating the weekend before Thanksgiving as it doesn’t take much to open it once Locke is top to bottom.

doublediamond

Snowmaking was no excuse last year for J8. You forget just how abysmal the start of last season was temperature wise.

Hawk

Most likely, they have already laid down a bit on Tourist Trap. They do note this date could push later but given they already have Locke trails running, snowmaking coverage shouldn't be an issue like their excuse for the J8 last year. The plan is to have Spruce and South Ridge up and running this weekend and linked to Aurora/Jordan.
Mach, don't you think they will just do Right stuff and 3 MIle to get connected to spruce first?

drjeff

Regardless of the Barker construction, my hunch is that SR was going to if not roll out on Jordan like they did, then bring it online much sooner than usual just so they can flex that BIG snowmaking upgrade they finished up over the Summer there.

Sometimes when an opening rollout differs from the traditional normal, it's because of logistical things such as lift construction, other times it may have a bit of "flexing" of a significant upgrade that doesn't involve a lift

thebigo

Question is whether they start at barker or Jordan next year? Actual skiing on Jordan was better but infrastructure and access better on the other side.

Newpylong

It might not be Barker because the snowmaking there isn't due to be replaced until 2025 off-season, subject to change. That pod has the least snowmaking capacity of any peak at the present as it has not been touched while all the others have.

LoafSkier19

Locke and Barker just makes more sense to me. Just seems awkward to have to go out to Jordan without a true base area and then have this whole pick your isolated peak plan until they can eventually connect everything.

machski

Mach, don't you think they will just do Right stuff and 3 MIle to get connected to spruce first?
What, for the 9th? They will make every effort to have Lazy River, Jungle Road, Ecstacy and Right Stuff open off Barker for the B6 grand opening. If weather doesn't cooperate, I would expect Jungle Road and Lazy at a minimum, but Ecstacy should be a go as well. Right Stuff will take the most time of all of those.

While Newpy is correct on the Barker rebuild being pushed out (and as such, at least Agony will lack snowmaking til then, possibly RC as well depending on what they did with the B6 build this summer) it is the closest to the plant. Not to mention, Locke was rebuilt and if early shifts back East, I expect Locke to be the start again. But I could see moving forward upper Locke if a window for an October/Nov 1 open happens, all while starting Jordan and shifting the public access out there when ready and doing race camps on Locke again.

machski

I will add one thing I noticed skiing down Kansas (and Kansas itself is even wider this year if you can beleve that) that I'm not thrilled with is Princess had her SR7 towers replaced with Impulse towers. I know, they are way more efficient. Whatever, they suck on steeper terrain you don't intend to groom often due to their inferior throw distance. Will be interesting to see how they manage princess with this switch. If they only make on it with temps not exceeding say 22F and when constant NW winds are 15MPH+, might work ok. If they make it when warmer and don't stay on those guns to prevent wet snow and/or make with no wind, well....... Was kind of hoping they might experiment with some of the air towers SMI offers. When they demo'd those heads on ground sleds several years ago, their throw distance seemed superior to HKD options right next to them. We shall see how this goes.

Newpylong

That's interesting we also had the SMI Freedom and V-2s next to Impulses and found them to have less throw side by side. For a grand less per head they certainly are enticing, but when nearly your whole fleet is HKD it may not make sense.

Last edited:

machski

That's interesting we also had the SMI Freedom and V-2s next to Impulses and found them to have less throw side by side. For a grand less per head they certainly are enticing, but when nearly your whole fleet is HKD it may not make sense.
Agreed but they had them alternating SMI/HKD on Grand Avenue and Boots On/Off. Also one lonely Grizzly on very bottom of Rogue on a 30' tower.

At Loon today but SR trail report indicates snowmaking has started on Barker proper.

kbroderick

I can confirm that Barker proper got lit up, with both Right Stuff and Punch below mid station going. I thought it looked like Lazy River was going when I was driving up the road, but the report doesn't indicate so.

Newpylong

Yep, and they are still doing pipework up top too on the sections that were ripped up for the new lift. They are lucky in that all of the lines are upfed on Barker for the most part.

One crew is on top there and another crew still doing tie-ins down on Expressway/Whoville. Cold to be welding.

doublediamond

What’s with the pipe across Agony about half way up?

At least the damage to Agony is far less than iCarumba!