• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

Newpylong

Air jumper. There's also one halfway up White Heat going towards Obsession, and more.

Going back to the early 90s the thought was the equipment in the middle of some of these trails would be starved of air (the equipment at the top and bottom would use it all) so they have jumpers. You wouldn't see those now because of Low E.

machski

Air jumper. There's also one halfway up White Heat going towards Obsession, and more.

Going back to the early 90s the thought was the equipment in the middle of some of these trails would be starved of air (the equipment at the top and bottom would use it all) so they have jumpers. You wouldn't see those now because of Low E.
Yup, not sure how much they use that of at all. Ran all the way across the hill from WH to at least AmEx. Same line you see from Spruce Triple that runs parallel to 3 mile. I did notice the RC hydrants as well. Wonder if they'll put pads up somehow now that they are just sitting in space on the open trail? Imagine those will get moved when they do the entire Barker rebuild. Also wonder if they'll even bother to make snow on Southpaw this year given the large gap from its exit and Punch.
As to the lift, very nice. Terminals are done up very nicely inside and out and puts the current Barker Lodge to shame. Like the fact the RFID gates and ahead of the actual line mazes, won't have to wait for folks who get stuck at those now. Bit surprised they put auto-closing bars on B6 when J8 didn't get those. Could cause stops as more unfamiliar with that start showing up in droves.1000003307.jpg1000003314.jpg

thebigo

Can you explain how the auto safety bar works? What if the footrest contacts a Snowboard or kids leg on the way down? Does the lift stop?

Fell in with the igloo guys at camp one night over Thanksgiving. Bunch of guys from Germany and austria having a good time. They had the whiskey flowing on an open tab, stumbled back to the room after. Had flown to Texas on their day off to go duck hunting, good money in igloos.

Last edited:

kbroderick

Can you explain how the auto safety bar works? What if the footrest contacts a Snowboard or kids leg on the way down? Does the lift stop?
Someone posted elsewhere that the lift will stop and make an announcement if the bar is unable to lock into place. At least in my so-far-limited experience, it seems like it will lower and lock without any interaction as long as it isn't obstructed.

Newpylong

Pretty much. Everyone has faults, but they aren't taking prisoners that's for sure. Kinda hard to be unhappy with the amount of the investment. Granted it's only 1 run on some pods, but 12/9 and only White Cap not open yet at Sunday River? Crazy.

K take note, time to spend real money on your snowmaking system. I say this as the biggest of K fans since ~1990.

machski

Pretty much. Everyone has faults, but they aren't taking prisoners that's for sure. Kinda hard to be unhappy with the amount of the investment. Granted it's only 1 run on some pods, but 12/9 and only White Cap not open yet at Sunday River? Crazy.

K take note, time to spend real money on your snowmaking system. I say this as the biggest of K fans since ~1990.
Now, lets not get too excited Newpy. North Peak, White Cap and Oz all do not have a TTB run open in them yet. Oz you can cross over on Kansas only, North has about 30 yards off the Chondi or so onto AmEx and White Cap has zilch (poor Shipyard, they opened this weekend I believe). Obviously last week they focused a lot of firepower on Barker to have 4 runs off the top for the B6 Grand Opening and multiple connections into and out of South Ridge. SOuth Ridge itself only has 1 route down from the Quad as Upper Broadway's new line blew out and after the repair, they didn't finish backfilling in time to blow there.

machski

Fell in with the igloo guys at camp one night over Thanksgiving. Bunch of guys from Germany and austria having a good time. They had the whiskey flowing on an open tab, stumbled back to the room after. Had flown to Texas on their day off to go duck hunting, good money in igloos.
Yeah, so B6 is a 90 degree load and as soon as the chair turns the corner, the bar starts to lower. It does it in 3 steps 1/3 at a time with a slight pause into each 1/3 lowering. So it gives everyone warning. What I have mostly seen is either that first 1/3 or second, folks just grab the bar and lock it manually which is fine as well. It will lock on its own if you let it. They say you get 2 chances for it to lock, so I would imagine if it doesn't lock on its own 1st attempt, the lift will make a second. Have not seen it go to that but if whenever the second attempt fails to lock, the entire ride stops. Since it is a 90 load, there is a bit longer time loaded in the terminal than the J8 for all ths to happen.

machski

Also, appears we dodged the worst of the forecast. I expected to wake up to mostly bare ground this morning but our 10 inch or so snowpack held up really well. Guessing we didn't get near the rainfall amounts they were forecasting.

Attachments

• 20231211_075500.jpg
    20231211_075500.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

skiur

Yeah, so B6 is a 90 degree load and as soon as the chair turns the corner, the bar starts to lower. It does it in 3 steps 1/3 at a time with a slight pause into each 1/3 lowering. So it gives everyone warning. What I have mostly seen is either that first 1/3 or second, folks just grab the bar and lock it manually which is fine as well. It will lock on its own if you let it. They say you get 2 chances for it to lock, so I would imagine if it doesn't lock on its own 1st attempt, the lift will make a second. Have not seen it go to that but if whenever the second attempt fails to lock, the entire ride stops. Since it is a 90 load, there is a bit longer time loaded in the terminal than the J8 for all ths to happen.

So what if you want to slide the bar up to reposition or something along those lines once your going? It's locked in and you can't?

thebigo

So what if you want to slide the bar up to reposition or something along those lines once your going? It's locked in and you can't?
jordan and Kanc both lock in place. was riding with a child that did not understand the footrest went between legs, ended up stuck on a partition, it was an uncomfortable ride but she survived. as someone who has spent the last half dozen years riding lifts with countless young racers, I appreciate the safety aspect. nearly impossible for a kid to fall off a lift with a footrest locked between their legs.

saw a kid fall off the triple at attitash a number of years ago, not my chair, I was on yankee but one of those moments that sticks with you for life.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Boyne kicking absolute ass and taking names at all their properties. Sick igloo! How creative!
How is everyone liking the new B6?

I rode Brighton's new Crest 6 yesterday. It is a very fast and sweet ride. They spared no expense. Some were saying that it should be a bubble heated chair, but at under 5 minutes these are not needed. It also is a side load (90-degree) with a carpet loader. People CANNOT for the life of them figure out the carpet loading system. It was pretty funny yesterday.

The towers are huge.

So new 6-packs at Sunday River, Brighton and a new HSQ at Sugarloaf. Additionally, a new TRAM at Big Sky. Some serious $$$ being invested by Boyne.

drjeff

Just make sure when you slide out to the load line, that your in the middle of one of the designated seat positions, and all good 99% of the time.

Frankly with how the seats are on some of the snazzy new lifts the last few years, where they're much closer to a bucket seat than a traditional bench style seat, for comfort sake alone you really want your butt in the middle of the seat not on the ridge in-between the designated seat area! 😉

drjeff

I rode Brighton's new Crest 6 yesterday. It is a very fast and sweet ride. They spared no expense. Some were saying that it should be a bubble heated chair, but at under 5 minutes these are not needed. It also is a side load (90-degree) with a carpet loader. People CANNOT for the life of them figure out the carpet loading system. It was pretty funny yesterday.

The towers are huge.

So new 6-packs at Sunday River, Brighton and a new HSQ at Sugarloaf. Additionally, a new TRAM at Big Sky. Some serious $$$ being invested by Boyne.
The problem for many with carpet loaders I have noticed, is many seem to have a reading comprehension problem and don't follow the instructions to lean on the loading gate, so that when it opens, you, and everyone else on the chair with you, will be taken by the carpet to the proper place at the proper time the chair meets up with you.

Too much "stage fright" and/or people thinking they need to put their poles infront of the loading gate arm vs just keep them behind the gate arm.

Once someone gets the basic concept of how to properly use a loading carpet, it's a great system. Sadly, many people proverbially do have a tough time "walking and chewing gum" at the same time! 😉🤣

thetrailboss

Staff member
The problem for many with carpet loaders I have noticed, is many seem to have a reading comprehension problem and don't follow the instructions to lean on the loading gate, so that when it opens, you, and everyone else on the chair with you, will be taken by the carpet to the proper place at the proper time the chair meets up with you.

Too much "stage fright" and/or people thinking they need to put their poles infront of the loading gate arm vs just keep them behind the gate arm.

Once someone gets the basic concept of how to properly use a loading carpet, it's a great system. Sadly, many people proverbially do have a tough time "walking and chewing gum" at the same time! 😉🤣
Exactly.

machski

The problem is two fold. Not all carpet loaders function the same. Detaches with loaders put you into position at the proper time on a stationary platform. Dopp D-Lines, that loading platform can also be raised up 6 inches for loading the younger folks. Fixed grip carpets are longer and you continue moving on the carpet as the chair scoops you off said carpet. Someone who has only used one or the other previously often gets confused I find

Heartful.zzz

The problem is two fold. Not all carpet loaders function the same. Detaches with loaders put you into position at the proper time on a stationary platform. Dopp D-Lines, that loading platform can also be raised up 6 inches for loading the younger folks. Fixed grip carpets are longer and you continue moving on the carpet as the chair scoops you off said carpet. Someone who has only used one or the other previously often gets confused I find
I agree! Switching between carpet loaders can be a real pain in the butt. My buddy went through the same thing. It took him a bit to figure out the timing and movement differences between detachable and fixed grip loaders.

machski

The towers are huge.

It is a sweet lift, base and top terminal buildings are finished very nicely inside. The new setup in Barker Basin feels like it has been that way forever (but it hasn't). Love how the RFID gates are before the line mazes. No worries about folks getting stuck in the gates blocking up the lift entrance. Hoping if that setup works well all season they somehow redo Jordan in similar fashion this summer.