• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River 22-23

thetrailboss

Staff member
I've actually not ridden one of them yet but man those D-Lines look nice.
Very quiet and smooth.

Hopefully Brighton gets their gate/maze situation figured out. There were a lot of pass scanning issues that resulted in groups being broken up, waiting for others, blocking the loading area while empty chairs went by.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It is a sweet lift, base and top terminal buildings are finished very nicely inside. The new setup in Barker Basin feels like it has been that way forever (but it hasn't). Love how the RFID gates are before the line mazes. No worries about folks getting stuck in the gates blocking up the lift entrance. Hoping if that setup works well all season they somehow redo Jordan in similar fashion this summer.
So I geeked out and watched the video posted here of the lift ride. All I can say is amazing. I don't want to hear any complaints from SR skiers for a while. Barker is nicer than any lift I saw at Big Sky.

thebigo

I've actually not ridden one of them yet but man those D-Lines look nice.
What impresses me is how well the chairs hold up. Remember first ride on kanc thinking the bubbles would end up gouged and scratched, the seats would be torn or have holes. I was wrong, as of last spring the chairs still looked new.

drjeff

What impresses me is how well the chairs hold up. Remember first ride on kanc thinking the bubbles would end up gouged and scratched, the seats would be torn or have holes. I was wrong, as of last spring the chairs still looked new.
Mount Snow’s bubbles just had their 12th birthday of service last week. Still in excellent shape with minimal scratches/vandalism events, etc.

When folks, especially the regulars, and the staff take a great deal of pride in things, such as bubble lifts, they tend to fair very well, even if the occasional ego centric person does something to a bubble

Hawk

I have to admit. This conversation is pretty funny. They are lifts. IF you ski you get on them. I would think that if you ride them once the learning curve is over. Right. There comes a point that if you can't figure out how to load the lift then maybe skiing is not your thing.

drjeff

It's a lift, getting on it ain't rocket science.
Some lifts have less "distractions" at the loading area than others. And many people are more "distractable" than ever before at times, hence why some resorts have started putting out signage in the loading area saying that it's a "cellphone out free zone"....

I agree though that loading a lift, isn't that big of deal, especially when one is paying attention and knows what to do. For some people though, those 2 things, can be a challenge... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

machski

Well, I heard there is a particular J8 chair that has been vandalized with body part names scratching into the bubble. That said, J8's have stayed mostly pristine through year 1. I cannt say the same for Waterville's Bubble 6, almost every bubble I saw had be scratched accidentally or purposely. I will say those MND bubbles are much closer to riders than the D-Line Dopps.

machski

Very quiet and smooth.

Hopefully Brighton gets their gate/maze situation figured out. There were a lot of pass scanning issues that resulted in groups being broken up, waiting for others, blocking the loading area while empty chairs went by.
J8 has a similar issue. They seem to have solved that at B6. I am hoping they reconfigure Jordan to the same, but with loading on both sides of the base instead of just 1 like B6 is now set up to, unsure if they will.

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's a lift, getting on it ain't rocket science.
Come on....getting off is way funnier!

In all seriousness, Brighton's new unload area is flatter and way better. I imagine that they did the same for J8 and B6 (if needed).

jimmywilson69

To be fair the loading carpets are a huge wild card. Regular load, yes that is something everyone who skis should have mastered a while ago.

KustyTheKlown

the jordan 8 was actively unpleasant in my experience. total shitshow. not worth it. dont need to move 8 people at once up 1400 feet of sunday river.

machski

the jordan 8 was actively unpleasant in my experience. total shitshow. not worth it. dont need to move 8 people at once up 1400 feet of sunday river.
Wasn't put in as a big people mover primarily, was put in due to the weight of the chairs unloaded for wind resistance. The 8 chairs are heaver than their 6 pack cousins.

doublediamond

Unless you're at Snowshed.... it's comical.
That lift is set up so horribly. You do a 180 in the queue so that you can do a 90° CCW load. The lift clearly wasn’t designed for that as it basically pivots rather than turns — seriously the inside seat goes backwards after loading! And to top it all off the chair is about 8 inches off the snow.

If the terminal was about 50 feet back from where it is and was CW it would be so much better. Ripping that Yan/Poma frankenlift monstrosity out is one of the best moves that K could do.

machski

So I'm told B6 has had its first wind hold already. Apparently it is vulnerable to winds up/across the entrance to Top Gun blowing the bubbles open on the chairs. Not certain if that was uphill or downhill chairs or both, but that could be an achiles heel for the new lift. It does have more exposure to the prevailing NW winds we get due to Top Gun. J8 doesn't now that its profile at the top was considerably lowered.

machski

Almost every road in and around the mountain is washed out in at least one section from reports I am gathering. The covered bridge was in danger of being washed downstream nearby as well. This storm bombed out right overhead, station pressures in Whitefield and Berlin NH went below 29" hg. Unreal...