• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sunday River improvements for 2019/2020

machski

So does this mean that opening weekend will mean lapping the upper half of the Locke chairlift?
Probably to start given zero real base below midstation currently. My guess is they will allow skiing below midstation late morning on Saturday and on provided the temp forecast starting tonight verifies true.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Very shocked with the reopen today and only 7 trails available. Sister resorts SL and Loon are kicking SR's butt on open terrain today. Not sure where the increased water capacity from last year and this summer have gone, but it certainly wasn't onto the hill this week. Not sure what is going on here, maybe a bit too much focus on serving the race community? Probably not. Hoping this is a staffing issue and not some systemic issue with the snowmaking plant.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

uphillklimber

Very shocked with the reopen today and only 7 trails available. Sister resorts SL and Loon are kicking SR's butt on open terrain today. Not sure where the increased water capacity from last year and this summer have gone, but it certainly wasn't onto the hill this week. Not sure what is going on here, maybe a bit too much focus on serving the race community? Probably not. Hoping this is a staffing issue and not some systemic issue with the snowmaking plant.

I read about this elsewhere. You may have seen that they are blowing snow on Kansas, totally removed from the Barker area. I think I have this understood correctly. What has happened is that they are using 100% of the available air pressure that the pipes in Barker can take. Basically, the AIR pipes have no more volume available. But, if they send some air pressure somewhere else, since they have some excess air pressure, they can also send some more water there as well. So, rather than just sitting on the available air pressure, they sent it to Kansas, and are no maximizing the available air pressure and matching it with available water pressure.

All that being said, today's conditions:
T-2 closed for training.
Ecstasy, Jungle road and upper punch rode real nice, practically mid season groomer smooth.
Sunday punch had golf ball sized death cookies here and there and was a little rough from the mid station down to the junction with Right stuff, then softened out.
Right Stuff had whales all over it and was a ton of fun.

machski

Not quite, all I will say now that I know is that they are currently water limited. This should be corrected in time for the push to Christmas and then we should see the full power of the system.

On another note, Carpet install is happening. Poor shot while I waited for a binding mount I will admit.8925~2.jpg

Edd

Glad to see The Mountain Room is still operating. The website says open Thursday to Sunday. Hoping they switch to daily when the season gets going. Not sure what they usually do.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

machski

They do not go daily except for holiday weeks up there. Supposedly Mountain Room pizza will be available in peak cafe line this year, not sure if that is every day or not. The bar is open every day up there, just not the kitchen.

KustyTheKlown

Had a fun morning at Sunday river. Left Brooklyn at 1:15 am. Arrived at 730 and got one of the last spots in barker lot. Would not have been happy shuttling from south ridge. Ripped the 4 routes repeatedly, racked up 25k vertical by 12:30, and my legs told me to quit. Drove to Lincoln and checked into the motel and I’ll hit loon for a similar schedule tomorrow.

KustyTheKlown

Had a fun morning at Sunday river. Left Brooklyn at 1:15 am. Arrived at 730 and got one of the last spots in barker lot. Would not have been happy shuttling from south ridge. Ripped the 4 routes repeatedly, racked up 25k vertical by 12:30, and my legs told me to quit. Drove to Lincoln and checked into the motel and I’ll hit loon for a similar schedule tomorrow.

Zand

Holy shit, 6 hours is a long way to ski one lift at Sunday River lol. Hope it was worth the drive.

uphillklimber

Holy shit, 6 hours is a long way to ski one lift at Sunday River lol. Hope it was worth the drive.

I'm not sure I would have done that. Tickets were $49.00 last weekend and I wasn't paying that even living as close as I was. 2 lifts, 8 trails. Before long, you'll be able to get 14 lifts, 135 trails for $100 or so. Not a good deal. If I didn't have a pass, I wouldn't be skiing yet.

KustyTheKlown

I have an ikon pass and hardly get to Maine or NH. Using SR and Loon days this weekend and saving Vermont for later. I don’t miss a weekend unless it’s raining pretty much from here on out. These early weekends are important for getting my legs back so I’m ready when the snow falls. I like the driving for the most part, especially the middle of the night drives with no one else on the road

uphillklimber

Machski, I just looked at the map, and they are blowing on Broadway, Tourist Trap, Lazy River and Ski Back. That IS weak. What do you know about the water issue?

ss20

Jiminy Peak was open if you're just looking for laps, vertical, and cheap tickets...

KustyTheKlown

free tickets. not cheap tickets. i don’t mind the drive, im staying on my ikon + magic 4 pack + champlain card

machski

Machski, I just looked at the map, and they are blowing on Broadway, Tourist Trap, Lazy River and Ski Back. That IS weak. What do you know about the water issue?
Doubt they are making on ski back, they said earlier this week they were hitting Agony and Rocking Chair (Not!). Although they may be for real estate sales, I could see the first home site had been cut in off the upper side of upper road in the glades development this week and ski back would be their access trail.

So the water thing, Donny Pelletier said as much if you YouTube his video. The increased water pumping capacity this year is because they had to replace some of the river pumps that burnt down sometime in the spring or summer (not sure that exact timeline). So the "new" pumps are replacements and are not yet installed and/or operational. I don't have a solid number but just speculation that they are running at 50% or so of water capacity as of last year right now. I'm told the new pumps will be online shortly or at worst when we really need them. To me, that would be two to three weeks ahead of Christmas week. We'll see, but all their posts about we're using our extra 10% right now, that's BS.

uphillklimber

Doubt they are making on ski back, they said earlier this week they were hitting Agony and Rocking Chair (Not!). Although they may be for real estate sales, I could see the first home site had been cut in off the upper side of upper road in the glades development this week and ski back would be their access trail.

So the water thing, Donny Pelletier said as much if you YouTube his video. The increased water pumping capacity this year is because they had to replace some of the river pumps that burnt down sometime in the spring or summer (not sure that exact timeline). So the "new" pumps are replacements and are not yet installed and/or operational. I don't have a solid number but just speculation that they are running at 50% or so of water capacity as of last year right now. I'm told the new pumps will be online shortly or at worst when we really need them. To me, that would be two to three weeks ahead of Christmas week. We'll see, but all their posts about we're using our extra 10% right now, that's BS.

Am I understanding this correctly, when you say the pumps burned down, that there was an actual fire at the pumphouse by their water source??? Or the pumps just burned out as in died? I'm gonna go to youtube now.

That's soooo lame. If this happened this past summer or spring and it still hasn't been fixed WTF! Especially considering all the marketing BS that the mountain is "pumping" out. Heads should roll! :angry:

skiberg1

I actually went to SR last weekend, got out of car looked at line, creeping lift, surprisingly limited snowmaking results and left. Did not even ski and I have a pass. I would not pay for what they have produced so far, loon is better option right now. Cannon way ahead by looks of it. They open next weekend.