• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Taos

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Anybody have any experience with Taos. I got offered a pretty much free trip in Feb....annual snow fall looks to be like VT at around 300 inches but the terrain looks insane!

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I skied Taos when I was in high school ... .I think it was either 1998 or 1999. I have a few pics around. I remember it being really great; but it was so long ago I don't have that many specifics.

AdironRider

One of my top five all time favorite mountains. The terrain is out of this world, its just not as big as Snowbird or JHole so has a little less clout.

Taos might average 300, but Id be willing to bet its standard deviation is out of this world. Some years they get pummelled, some years they get nothing, and average 300. Keep that in mind with Taos.

JimG.

Staff member
This has been one of my bucket list hills for a long time.

My oldest goes off to college next month, maybe I'll get out there soon.

Skier4life

The terrain does look great!
It seems, however, that there's a large amount of the mountain that is either Green or Black with very little Blue [not that that is a bad thing necessarily] but it makes it seem like a really easy going resort or a challenging one.
I would love this, might have to look into finding a way out there...

jimmywilson69

I would've been signed up at the "pretty much free" part. even if it's not a good snow year, you haven't hardly inveted anything into the trip. I say do it. If the conditions suck, you can use it as a "recon" trip and then you have to go back!

4aprice

Anybody have any experience with Taos. I got offered a pretty much free trip in Feb....annual snow fall looks to be like VT at around 300 inches but the terrain looks insane!

Predictions I've heard call for a weak El Nino which I believe to be beneficial to snowfall in the Southwest. Should be a good year to go out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

I've gotten Taos on an El Nino and it was off the hook.February would be a good time to go there as it can take a bit for the base to build up. Taos with a deep base is incredible, the steep stuff needs some big storm cycles to fill in. It is very steep and the bumps are huge.

Ski Santa Fe is worth a day trip. Also i had a fun mini pow day at Pajarito

K2Trav

Website
www.k2trav.com
Went to Taos last winter, after 3 runs i wanted to leave, forced myself to ski till 3, i have no interest in going back, it may have some sick steep terrain, but a lot of places do, it was an incredibly weird atmosphere, hard to explain, if its free, go you;ll see. The day after i skied Wolf Creek, not steep, but Sick pow everywhere

thetrailboss

Staff member
On my list. Last year they got the snow that we didn't in Utah. Old school vibe I hear. Legit terrain.

jaytrem

Went to Taos last winter, after 3 runs i wanted to leave, forced myself to ski till 3, i have no interest in going back, it may have some sick steep terrain, but a lot of places do, it was an incredibly weird atmosphere, hard to explain, if its free, go you;ll see. The day after i skied Wolf Creek, not steep, but Sick pow everywhere

Maybe the Taos Hum got you. I've been there a couple times, nothing seemed out of the ordinary to me. I know the town is known to attract some interesting folks. I'm sure I'll be going back since my wifes sister lives in NM. I'll have to pay more attention to any oddities. Any chance you could eleborate?

Geoff

Taos might average 300, but Id be willing to bet its standard deviation is out of this world. Some years they get pummelled, some years they get nothing, and average 300. Keep that in mind with Taos.

This

Taos is really a place you want to book at the last minute.

Personally, Taos doesn't do a heck of a lot for me. I had a better time at Ski Santa Fe and Wolf Creek. Taos had the worst skiing surface and was really expensive relative to their level of service. I think the staff burns out on the wealthy Texans that make up a big chunk of their customer base.