• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The ALTERRA SUCKS Thread

thetrailboss

Staff member
This is actually more proof IKON & EPIC lead to crowding 95% of the time, because it's the holidays which are ironically NOT as busy as they used to be, because the IKOK/EPIC pass holding hoards aren't there in force vis-a-vis the black-out dates.

It was the same thing at Park City recently during Presidents Day Weekend (PDW). I drove by the Cabriolet lot which is the #1 parking s**t show here given it is literally the only "free" parking lot, and it gets filled-up to maximum capacity with the "LOT FULL" sign every Saturday and Sunday sometime between about 9:45am - 11am, yet PDW there was ample parking to be had.

Yes, both your example and mine are "anecdotal", but when "anecdotal" evidence is virtually unanimous coast-to-coast by hundreds of different people, it is no longer "anecdotal", it is empirical verifiable fact. IKON & EPIC cause crowding.
Yep. Alterra won't admit it, but they are quietly doing thing behind the scenes to mitigate the issues. Crystal now is pretty restricted in terms of parking and access. Solitude is now completely paid parking with reservations (except for carpooling). Deer Valley is off of the base.

Tin Woodsman

This is actually more proof IKON & EPIC lead to crowding 95% of the time, because it's the holidays which are ironically NOT as busy as they used to be, because the IKOK/EPIC pass holding hoards aren't there in force vis-a-vis the black-out dates.

It was the same thing at Park City recently during Presidents Day Weekend (PDW). I drove by the Cabriolet lot which is the #1 parking s**t show here given it is literally the only "free" parking lot, and it gets filled-up to maximum capacity with the "LOT FULL" sign every Saturday and Sunday sometime between about 9:45am - 11am, yet PDW there was ample parking to be had.

Yes, both your example and mine are "anecdotal", but when "anecdotal" evidence is virtually unanimous coast-to-coast by hundreds of different people, it is no longer "anecdotal", it is empirical verifiable fact. IKON & EPIC cause crowding.
So you think you have enough anecdotes to conclude that EPIC and IKON are the only cause of increased crowding? If so, please explain how you arrived at this conclusion and were able to adjust/control for the impact of macro trends such as the post-COVID boom in skiing generally and the phenomenon of people moving to the ski country from the flatlands. I'd love to see your work here.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So you think you have enough anecdotes to conclude that EPIC and IKON are the only cause of increased crowding? If so, please explain how you arrived at this conclusion and were able to adjust/control for the impact of macro trends such as the post-COVID boom in skiing generally and the phenomenon of people moving to the ski country from the flatlands. I'd love to see your work here.
I don't believe he said "the only cause" of crowding. That is you.

BenedictGomez

I don't believe he said "the only cause" of crowding. That is you.

Yeah, I wasn't going to take the bait on the intentional insertion of the word, "only" there.

I'm fine with, "the majority of", which is increasingly becoming pretty obvious to most people.

Tin Woodsman

Yeah, I wasn't going to take the bait on the intentional insertion of the word, "only" there.

I'm fine with, "the majority of", which is increasingly becoming pretty obvious to most people.
"All of" or "most of" - choose whatever term you want. Show your work.

tumbler

I'm not going to start a climate change debate but the weather has always been like this in New England. I've been at SB for almost 30 years and the winter always has ups and downs, some years are better then others. March is the snowiest month of the year. The saying "if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" has been around a long time. Just be happy that you are retired and can ski 7 days a week, I'm stuck looking at Saturdays and Sundays. :daffy:

kingslug

Being able to ski 7 days a week is great...if you have interesting terrain to do it on.
Lots of zoomer groomers only days this season.
Today you could venture onto pretty much anything...they dropped ropes everywhere.
Thursday....all will be closed again until the weekend.