• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The most dreaded thread of the year.... The Closing thread......

LonghornSkier

At Hunter now.. Tomorrow will be there last day. White Cloud could go longer but connecting trails at top and bottom are on their last legs.

spiderpig

A lot of places can't make it through the weekend to the next bit of cold weather. Butternut, Jiminy Peak, Mountain Creek throwing in the towel today.

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
My plan was to go to Belleayre today as the end of my season.

I got up at 7 with no desire to drive anywhere. Bagged it. My season is done. 34 days is enough.

The middle of the season was great; November was nonexistent for me and after great spring skiing last weekend at Plattekill the weather has messed up the end.

Put the skis away this morning, been lubing and spooling new line onto my reels and cleaning tackle boxes for opening of trout season on
April 1.

I'm lucky to say that whenever skiing ends I'm happy to move on to my summer addiction.

urungus

Berkshire East closed today (and apparently tomorrow) due to power outage, hoping to reopen for Easter weekend. Hopefully they will be able, what a crappy way to end the season.

skef

Berkshire East closed today (and apparently tomorrow) due to power outage, hoping to reopen for Easter weekend. Hopefully they will be able, what a crappy way to end the season.
Last weekend they still had plenty of whale-stockpiles on UMass, Flying Cloud, and Big Chief. Hope they make it.

urungus

Last weekend they still had plenty of whale-stockpiles on UMass, Flying Cloud, and Big Chief. Hope they make it.

One thing that puzzles me ... Berkshire East has both the windmill and a solar field, so I would have thought they would be immune from power outages ? Unless it was their own system that failed (although I have heard of other power outages in Mass today) ? I guess they don’t have a battery backup system ?

Dickc

Updated email from the Indy Pass folks:

Well, no one said it would be easy to keep track of 63 independent resorts and sometimes we make a mistake so please forgive the extra email in your inbox.

Corrected Closing Dates
Cannon Mountain - April 11
Cataloochee Mountain - April 4
Crystal Mountain - April 4
Greek Peak - May 1
Lutsen Mountains - April 11

LonghornSkier

Drove by Belleayre today after skiing hunter from 9:30-1 as I’m going to get the Bell, Gore, WF pass next season...

They have way more snow than Hunter. I think they’ll make next weekend.

PAabe

Updated email from the Indy Pass folks:

Well, no one said it would be easy to keep track of 63 independent resorts and sometimes we make a mistake so please forgive the extra email in your inbox.

Corrected Closing Dates
Cannon Mountain - April 11
Cataloochee Mountain - April 4
Crystal Mountain - April 4
Greek Peak - May 1
Lutsen Mountains - April 11
Greek Peak May 1?! Maybe I'll get another day yet if they can hang on a few more weeks then

kingslug

Hunter was good today as it never warmed up..so..cornfest. It looks like a missile testing site now but what is there was enough to spend a day on. The north opened with overlook in good shape. Lower K and upper xover had good moguls. The cliff was sporty. hunter 100.jpghunter 200.jpghunter 300.jpghunter 400.jpghunter 500.jpg

LonghornSkier

My ex was there..wasn't happy..said its pretty shot..but thats an opinion
I didn’t ski anything at Belleayre so I can’t comment.. But from the parking lot, it looked quite a bit more covered than Hunter.

For example, Dot Nebel was wall to wall to the point that they were racing on it.

Edd

Cranmore is done after today, which wasn’t their plan. Gunstock may call it quits after tomorrow but no decision yet.

Mum skier

Sunapee was lovely today in the warm sun. But I can’t see they will make it to next weekend let alone the 11th with the forecasted weather. Already very narrow in places.
All things considered they have done well this year. I wish they had blown some snow during the cold spell a couple weeks ago, but we had some good days there this year. Lines were long at times but at least they managed the lines so they were fair.