• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The most dreaded thread of the year.... The Closing thread......

drjeff

The mighty Yawgoo Valley just posted on their social media feeds that this coming Sunday will be the last day they spin the lifts this season..... 😪

abc

I don't dread it. It only means the start of cycling season. :)

But before that, there's the fun of corn harvest and slushy bumps. :) OK, I'm a fan of spring skiing. I'll go hide now while you all moan... ;)

skiur

Why wouldn't someone be a fan of spring skiing? Outside of a powder day, I can't think of any better time to ski than a sunny 55 degrees day. And then add on tailgating? Spring is great. It's our reward for skiing in cold icy conditions all winter.

NYDB

Used to do ' triathlons ' back when I lived and worked at killington 20+ years ago. 9 holes of golf in the am, mid day mtb ride, then bumps on superstar and tailgating afternoon.

Loved springtime up there.

Last edited:

abc

Used to do ' triathlons ' back when I lived and worked at killington 20+ years ago. 9 holes of golf in the am, mid day mtb ride, then bumps on superstar and tailgating afternoon.

My “triathlon” is ski, cycle, white water.

Thiugh to be fair, I can’t do all 3 in the same place. I ride near home, ski way up north (central/norther VT), white water can be anywhere in between though.

Zermatt

God willing my season will end at A Basin on June 6th with a sun burn and pounding headache.

Edd

Hate to see it end but spring skiing can make up for it if you get the days right. I’ll go into sort of denial mode soon and get a bit crabby. 9 more days to hit 40 and I’d be pretty happy.

dblskifanatic

God willing my season will end at A Basin on June 6th with a sun burn and pounding headache.
Same here! Spring skiing at A Basin is the best. We have skied there up to June 28th. The snow holds well there and they have always extended past the projected closing date. This year will be different since there are lots of areas where the snow never covered the rocks. We have two more trips planned for CO one in late April and one in June and if feasible maybe another in May. In Colorado, March and April are great months for snow accumulation so hopefully that happens. This weekend will help but most of the snow will be east of the Continental Divide.

BTW take Ginko Biloba and Ginseng vitamins everyday for two weeks prior to going out and you will be better off. Helps with blood circulation. We were there for a week last week and had no issues also ate bananas every morning.

snoseek

It hurts extra for me as I go from 3 day work weeks to craziness. I've got another month or so before that happens.

2Planker

Our Trifecta was White Heat all morning, Slalom skiing on Long Lake and 9 holes at Norway CC

urungus

My “triathlon” is ski, cycle, white water.

Thiugh to be fair, I can’t do all 3 in the same place. I ride near home, ski way up north (central/norther VT), white water can be anywhere in between though.

Berkshire East has white water and they host the “Berkshire Highlands Pentathlon” each spring - a 4.2 mile road/trail run, a 16 mile cycling leg, 2 mile kayak, a 2 mile obstacle run, a mile hike to the top of the mountain and a downhill ski to the finish.

abc

Berkshire East has white water and they host the “Berkshire Highlands Pentathlon” each spring - a 4.2 mile road/trail run, a 16 mile cycling leg, 2 mile kayak, a 2 mile obstacle run, a mile hike to the top of the mountain and a downhill ski to the finish.
Why do so many people always want to time their activities? I'd prefer to stretch my day as long as possible, not making it as short as possible!

2Planker

Nothing really compares to Mt Washington's "Inferno Race".
It's one tough mother.... Run, Bike, Kayak, Hike up, Ski down

A lil histoy
https://www.mtearchronicles.com/sin...no-the-legendary-ski-race-of-tuckerman-ravine

Last edited:

mlkrgr

Wachusett has started to advertise projected closing is 4/4/21. Hopefully that is an underpromise as they are also advertising a 4 foot base! And their business was still very brisk - was a few minute lift line at all lifts right up until they closed til 9:30 pm and they had a lot of cars in the overflow lot from people skiing the day session.

jimmywilson69

This is the last weekend for the Southcentral PA Vail resorts. Pretty typical closing date for all 3. Business drops off significantly because spring sports are well underway as it tends to get nice down here rather quickly.

I had heard Roundtop was considering next weekend because they have the snow, but business levels were way down last weekend. Bean Counters always win...

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

This is the last weekend for the Southcentral PA Vail resorts. Pretty typical closing date for all 3. Business drops off significantly because spring sports are well underway as it tends to get nice down here rather quickly.

I had heard Roundtop was considering next weekend because they have the snow, but business levels were way down last weekend. Bean Counters always win...
An easier decision when those who are real motivated to keep using their pass in the Spring can still do 1 more weekend at Frost and 3 more at Hunter.