• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The most dreaded thread of the year.... The Closing thread......

Domeskier

How is Superstar looking? The cam has been pointing at a bare Ovation for the past couple days. Are they trying to hide a rapidly developing "S" or something? Was hoping to get in some turns in mid-May after getting fully vaxed if they last that long.

EDIT: Cam back on SS. No "S" yet, but not looking great for this time of year.

Last edited:

machski

Looks like Loon is going to push for the 18th according to their lift ticket calendar. Snow report hasn’t mentioned Sunday as being the end either so holding out hope after three amazing days up there Wednesday through today.
It's official, Loon pushed closing date to Sunday the 18th. Only spinning the Gondi, North Peak is closed now. But they are the only area still open in NH now.

2Planker

It's official, Loon pushed closing date to Sunday the 18th. Only spinning the Gondi, North Peak is closed now. But they are the only area still open in NH now.
That's a first.

Usually last call is The Cat, or maybe BW

Zand

How is Superstar looking? The cam has been pointing at a bare Ovation for the past couple days. Are they trying to hide a rapidly developing "S" or something? Was hoping to get in some turns in mid-May after getting fully vaxed if they last that long.

Good news is the pattern looks cool and unsettled for the near future so hopefully the melting will slow down for a bit. My guess is they make it to May 9th or so.

parahelia

Might have something to do with the 150 day season guarantee and a late start, but I'm not sure if SR being open covers that.
I think their line was the 150 day guarantee could be distributed across all 3 Boyne NE resorts. Given that, I had kind of figured that they'd fold back to SL with such a warm spring. I've been pleasantly surprised that they've kept Loon and SR open so long (SR is closing 4/24). There won't be a ton open on our last trip to SR, but given what they had to work with weather-wise March and April, no complaints whatsoever.

machski

Might have something to do with the 150 day season guarantee and a late start, but I'm not sure if SR being open covers that.
As far as NEP passholders go, nope. Just had to be a 150 day season across all 3, not at each. This wouldn't get Loon near 150 anyway, having started a week later than SR/SL and both of those need to make 4/23 to get to 150. Loon would need to make 4/30 to hit 150 themselves.

Honestly I think this has more to do with Boyne knowing there were many disgruntled customers at AttiCat this winter and are pulling out the stops in an effort to lure away business from them, if not others showing they will push the envelope regardless of the season.

2Planker

As far as NEP passholders go, nope. Just had to be a 150 day season across all 3, not at each. This wouldn't get Loon near 150 anyway, having started a week later than SR/SL and both of those need to make 4/23 to get to 150. Loon would need to make 4/30 to hit 150 themselves.

Honestly I think this has more to do with Boyne knowing there were many disgruntled customers at AttiCat this winter and are pulling out the stops in an effort to lure away business from them, if not others showing they will push the envelope regardless of the season.
I know a Shitload of MWV folks who will be drivin' the Kanc next weekend. My self included

thebigo

I know a Shitload of MWV folks who will be drivin' the Kanc next weekend. My self included
I will be in the MWV next weekend and using my boyne pass but heading north through the notch and over to SR. Planning to ski loon Wednesday but not too keen on lapping a four person gondola when it is the only lift open in the state on a Saturday.

Dickc

I will be in the MWV next weekend and using my boyne pass but heading north through the notch and over to SR. Planning to ski loon Wednesday but not too keen on lapping a four person gondola when it is the only lift open in the state on a Saturday.
Maybe we will bump into each other. I too am planning to hit Loon Wednesday with my next years season pass. Accidentally bought it at pay in full now price, not the installment program. Might as well use it at least once. I'll be in all black on green Volkl RTM 84's with green and orange poles. I'm 6"4' so you can't miss me.

JimG.

Staff member
Ontario new lockdown is shutting down ski areas again. Some ski resorts had this confirmed today. Lockdown takes effect at midnight; Blue Mountain has decided to spin until midnight.

Here is the other definite list of closures across the East from Labrador to the Manitoba all the way down to Alabama.

Eastern Closing Thread 2021 – Depressing? – Part 1
As always, every Spring, thanks for keeping the stats.

Might be over sooner than later this season but you never know.

cdskier

They've now also zoomed in the "Mountain View Cam" on the upper half of SS. It'll be interesting to see how long SS lasts this year.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Well if this storm really hits......K is the place to be.

Mount Snow is still open! They could get over a foot. Killington probably right behind them but that's looking like the northern border for significant snow.

I'll be at K Saturday and Sunday. Was gonna split K/SB but if this storm DOES give K a decent dump of heavy wet snow I wouldn't doubt patrol opening up some of the upper elevation naturals for one final hurrah. Not the crazy stuff but 10" of slop can get Ridge open, Powerline, and the low angle stuff on Snowdown like Mouse, upper Royal Flush, Full House.

kingslug

K will definitely be a better bet as MS has almost nothing open. Going to watch this one and see. Would be nice to end with a snowstorm.

dblskifanatic

SS looks pretty good right now from the webcam lots of ground showing through on the sides but the base seems deep enough. It is the water underneath that is unpredictable. Still looks good for a while.

dblskifanatic

K will definitely be a better bet as MS has almost nothing open. Going to watch this one and see. Would be nice to end with a snowstorm.

It does not look cold enough for much snow. There is a brief window, but potential r&#n between Wed afternoon - Fri evening is not good. Even accumulation looks low like 1 or 2 inches. But you never know!