• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The new 6-pack replacing the Bonnie at Jay Peak is on its way

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Wow, why didn't they place the base terminal closer? That is a crazy walk from the lodge! Does building code for their multi-story fancypants swankass lodge prevent them from building the lift closer? I'm sure going to enjoy walking across a ski trail in which skiers are maxing out their speed to make the Jet traverse without having to skate much. :roll: I feel bad for the beginners and low intermediates having to hike up to the Taxi Quad. Ridiculous.

The end terminal makes sense. I concur with the previously expressed sentiment that more wind holds can be good. The Bonnie usually runs except in the absolute worst wind. When the Bonnie goes down, it is usually enough to bring the Jet down too, though sometimes the Jet can keep going when the Bonnie can't. The HS6 will surely get shut down significantly more often than the Bonnie.

So we will have a trail called Liftline with no lift and we'll have a trail called Power Line and a lift called the Power Lift Lift named after a power line that is no longer there. Hmmmm...

NEK... do those lines around Power Line and Liftline mean they are going to widen both routes? It makes sense to widen Powder Line for a 6 pack but why Liftline?

Thank goodness they are slowing rolling out these changes over the course of many years. I think I'd feint if all of this happened all at once. :-?

xlr8r

My main concern is that the unload area and trails will be too tight and narrow for a six pack lift. The trail leading down towards JFK looks steep enough so that it will become a skating rink leading on to Northway. I don't see why moving the lift line is necessary, the current location of the Bonnie works well and has a nice large unload area. This new alignment seems to be more exposed to wind and has a tighter unload area with skier traffic issues. With the only benefit of the new alignment being access to the JFK and Ullr's side of the mountain, which you cannot lap from this new lift anyway.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I think the new location makes complete sense... a return to a former line that they got right the first time.

No, you can't lap any of the trails that dump out onto Ullr's. But you could go back and forth between the Bonnie and the Six Pack very easily... you would take the Freezer to ski the Bonnie runs and then take the Six to ski the Ullr's runs. Very easily done and lots of options every run. Whereas currently, you need to uphill traverse against traffic to get to JFK or Beaver... something very very few guests are going to attempt even with good reason.

I don't see an issue with the unload area. There will be a short connector to get to the Freezer side and St. George gets you to the same location as the current Bonnie. These aren't exactly "trails" but rather more connectors. I don't know how it will all play out but St. George is pretty darn mellow, I don't think it is going to be an issue.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
Wow, why didn't they place the base terminal closer? That is a crazy walk from the lodge! Does building code for their multi-story fancypants swankass lodge prevent them from building the lift closer? I'm sure going to enjoy walking across a ski trail in which skiers are maxing out their speed to make the Jet traverse without having to skate much. :roll: I feel bad for the beginners and low intermediates having to hike up to the Taxi Quad. Ridiculous.

When the new lodge is in and the re-grading all done, I don't think it will be as bad as it looks. I don't think it will be much worse than getting to the lifts on Tramside.

Compare Tramside:
LiftDistances_tramside_zps890e0134.jpg

To Stateside:
LiftDistances_Stateside_zps0209adfe.jpg

As far as I can figure from the plans, the Hotel part of the building will be primarily on the left (toward the Jet) and the lodge on the right (toward the old lodge). In the plans, you can make out a Patio/Deck area wrapping around the right side of the new Lodge. According to the contour lines on the plan, the elevation of the patio would be around 2040'. The parking lot is 20' lower that the patio. The Taxi lift is 25' higher. The Power Line lift is only 8 ft higher.

The Blue dot in the picture is a snow gun tower. I think the location of the tower plays into why the Taxi was built so far uphill.

NEK... do those lines around Power Line and Liftline mean they are going to widen both routes? It makes sense to widen Powder Line for a 6 pack but why Liftline?

I think those are just lines that deliniate the outter edge a buffer zone around the area that will be disturbed during the deconstruction of the Bonnie and the construction of the Power Line.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I think that FTN is actually Burke/Jay's engineer/architect in disguise....

Nice graphics.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
My main concern is that the unload area and trails will be too tight and narrow for a six pack lift. The trail leading down towards JFK looks steep enough so that it will become a skating rink leading on to Northway. I don't see why moving the lift line is necessary, the current location of the Bonnie works well and has a nice large unload area. This new alignment seems to be more exposed to wind and has a tighter unload area with skier traffic issues. With the only benefit of the new alignment being access to the JFK and Ullr's side of the mountain, which you cannot lap from this new lift anyway.

I'll agree with Riv on this one. The unload area of the new lift is going to be pretty large since they are cutting back into the mountainside quite a bit. And then there are three primary trails to move traffic away. The Connector with Northway, St George's Prayer, and the Power Line (liftline) itself.
(As Noted by Riv: they are going to have to rename Lift Line (trail where the Bonneventure is) to avoid confusion. I nominate they change it to simply "Bonneventure".)

Unloadareas_zps8f038479.jpg

BigJay

I'll agree with Riv on this one. The unload area of the new lift is going to be pretty large since they are cutting back into the mountainside quite a bit. And then there are three primary trails to move traffic away. The Connector with Northway, St George's Prayer, and the Power Line (liftline) itself.
(As Noted by Riv: they are going to have to rename Lift Line (trail where the Bonneventure is) to avoid confusion. I nominate they change it to simply "Bonneventure".)

Unloadareas_zps8f038479.jpg

On this photo, i don't think the placement of the terminal is right... why would you move it to the side... when you have a perfectly alignment already? There use to be a lift there... the old line should be good already. Maybe you need to widen it for a six-pack... but redoing the line is not the best idea... opening things up will make it more susceptible for high winds anyways.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com
It is correct according to the plan.
The center of the new line is actually about 14 ft south of the old double line. At the summit the old line has become rather grown in. So they will likely brush it out a bit.
You can see below that there is a definite vegetation transition to the right of the line between the terminal and Northway.

GE_Powerline6_Summit-fromoverhead_zps2a5e4e3d.jpg

thetrailboss

Staff member
It is correct according to the plan.
The center of the new line is actually about 14 ft south of the old double line. At the summit the old line has become rather grown in. So they will likely brush it out a bit.
You can see below that there is a definite vegetation transition to the right of the line between the terminal and Northway.

GE_Powerline6_Summit-fromoverhead_zps2a5e4e3d.jpg

What's that blue area? A new trail?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I don't think it will be much worse than getting to the lifts on Tramside.
That sounds like an excuse for continuing to screw up the second time around instead of fixing past mistakes and getting it right. :lol: Look at the Willoughby Quad at Burke for an ideal HSQ placement. A short and flat skate from the lodge. Cannon also has good placement. Waterville and Loon, also good placement. Sugarloaf, as good as can be had given the lift line.

At least it isn't like Stowe? :-?

Tin Woodsman

When the new lodge is in and the re-grading all done, I don't think it will be as bad as it looks. I don't think it will be much worse than getting to the lifts on Tramside.

Compare Tramside:
LiftDistances_tramside_zps890e0134.jpg

To Stateside:
LiftDistances_Stateside_zps0209adfe.jpg

As far as I can figure from the plans, the Hotel part of the building will be primarily on the left (toward the Jet) and the lodge on the right (toward the old lodge). In the plans, you can make out a Patio/Deck area wrapping around the right side of the new Lodge. According to the contour lines on the plan, the elevation of the patio would be around 2040'. The parking lot is 20' lower that the patio. The Taxi lift is 25' higher. The Power Line lift is only 8 ft higher.

The Blue dot in the picture is a snow gun tower. I think the location of the tower plays into why the Taxi was built so far uphill.

I think those are just lines that deliniate the outter edge a buffer zone around the area that will be disturbed during the deconstruction of the Bonnie and the construction of the Power Line.

So in order to get to the lifts in what will become the key learning area for Jay, beginner skiers will need to trudge uphill between 35-45' from the parking lot? Another brilliant job by Bill Stenger!!

gregnye

So in order to get to the lifts in what will become the key learning area for Jay, beginner skiers will need to trudge uphill between 35-45' from the parking lot? Another brilliant job by Bill Stenger!!
Raise Em' Jay!!! Youngin's are perfectly capable of walking.

from_the_NEK

Website
fineartamerica.com

What's that blue area? A new trail?

Yes, you can see it in the picture above. It has been on the Masterplan for a while now. It comes right of the ridge and meanders down to feed into Lower Milk run. I figure they want to have another intermediate trail off the new 6pack rather than having everyone end up on Northway.

Tin Woodsman

Raise Em' Jay!!! Youngin's are perfectly capable of walking.
But they sure as hell won't like it. Isn't the idea to make it as convenient as possible so you can hook them and raise 'em Jay? Or will they be too busy in the water park to notice?

Tin Woodsman

Yes, you can see it in the picture above. It has been on the Masterplan for a while now. It comes right of the ridge and meanders down to feed into Lower Milk run. I figure they want to have another intermediate trail off the new 6pack rather than having everyone end up on Northway.
Would that really be an intermediate run though? If so, that's a major development. I sense that would be an intermediate run just like JFK is - pretty advanced for most.

gregnye

Would that really be an intermediate run though? If so, that's a major development. I sense that would be an intermediate run just like JFK is - pretty advanced for most.

Isn't JFK an expert trail? Surely not as steep as Can Am but still an expert trail (its labeled diamond on the map). I highly doubt that this trail will be intermediate. It seems too steep there.

Hopefully it does not become another goat run--that is the last thing we need.