• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The NEW Magic Mountain

IceEidolon

I'm guessing you mean all the new towers are R5, which is good to hear. Almost all of the 2016 install towers are R4. Pretty much only the Vipers were R5 before this year.

We comfortably ran fourteen ish R4 Impulses (flow rate 15 -> 30 - 30 -> 45 at 400 PSI)* on a mix of Step 2 and Step 3 on Lower Carpet, alongside several Rats. The pump wasn't putting out 950 PSI at the time, and I don't have the exact flow curve for that pump, but they very much can run more than twenty guns at 15 GPM per gun on Lower Carpet. I've personally seen it.

"There's no point even running on stage 1 except to avoid a startup/shutdown" is an absolutely wild opinion to me, so I'm going to assume it's hyperbole. If I only made snow when I thought I'd get into the low 20s or lower, I'd hardly ever make snow.

Edit: Magic said in a comment reply that there are 35 new guns from 33 1/3 down, and 12 Ratnik portables for Witch/Black Line.

Last edited:

Newpylong

If they were able to reliably run the numbers you're talking about throughout the entire range of snowmaking conditions they wouldn't always be struggling to get terrain open. The sheer reality is 1300 GPM is probably undersized by 50% on the low end of what their acreage requires for water capacity.

It may be a wild opinion to you, but I know of no snowmaking manager in New England who will run long term on stage 1 or a 24 to 26 degree wet bulb. That's a startup wet bulb, unless your Killington pushing for October. Perhaps it's a different philosophy up here but that's reality.

Last edited: