• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/18 Storm Discussion Thread

gladerider

i take that line too so i might have seen you. i mostly take the express trains, though

tcharron

Looks like Centeral/Southern NH and VT has gone to 2-6 inches between thursday night and friday combined according the accuweather.

:daffy:

loafer89

The forecast for my area just got changed from a snow to rain event to a snow with 1-3" of accumulation and then sleet and freezing rain on top of it, yummy.

I am also hearing rumblings about a costal storm (immediate coast and somewhat inland) for saturday/sunday morning which I would rather have stay away as we are leaving for Sunday River on sunday morning.

loafer89

It looks like all snow for most of Maine with a sub marginal Winter Storm Warning snowfall of 4-6"

loafer89

Russ posted 6 to 9 maybe more for the River Friday 8 am to 7pm

It's possible, but not likely. This looks like snow for the coast again.

iws1b_430.jpg

jaywbigred

hey Brettski, where in joisey are you?
I am in Murray Hill.

Gladerider, I work in Murray Hill! When (or if?) you leave on a Friday afternoon (for VT,Okemo) from around here, do you take back roads to get to 287 or do you brave it out on 24? I am not convinced as to which is faster.

Brettski

Website
weblogs.sqlteam.com
Gladerider, I work in Murray Hill! When (or if?) you leave on a Friday afternoon (for VT,Okemo) from around here, do you take back roads to get to 287 or do you brave it out on 24? I am not convinced as to which is faster.

I would say find your way to fairmont/Passaic to So Ave, then hit up Eisenhower to 280 West to 287 North

loafer89

NOAA now says 2-4" for me on thursday/friday with a 50% chance of a "plowable" snowfall for saturday evening.

mishka

NOAA now says 2-4" for me on thursday/friday with a 50% chance of a "plowable" snowfall for saturday evening.

what area? I just looked NOAA web sites for snow forecast from Rhode Island to Sunday River, where I'm planning to be on Friday:daffy:, and nothing meaningful forecasted :(

Zand

NOAA has 3-5" for me and for Princeton Thursday night, plus a little more Friday morning that's not specified yet.

We'll be lucky to get 1".

Vortex

WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT
THROUGH FRIDAY AFTERNOON
Wswgyx

Urgent - Winter Weather Message National Weather Service Gray ME 309 AM EST Thu Jan 17 2008

...A Winter Storm Watch Has Been Issued For The Mountains Late Tonight And Friday...

.A Winter Storm Watch Has Been Posted For The Western Mountains Of Maine And Northernmost New Hampshire For Late Tonight And Friday. Six Inches Of Snow Or More Is Possible...Along With A Period Of Sleet Or Freezing Rain As Warm Air Enters The Region Ahead Of The System.

Low Pressure In The Gulf Of Mexico Will Race Northeast...Up The Eastern Seaboard Tonight. It Will Cross The Northern New England Coastal Waters Friday Morning...Before Entering The Canadian Maritimes Friday Evening.

Northern Oxford-Northern Franklin-Central Somerset-Northern Coos- Southern Coos- Including The Cities Of...Andover...Byron...Middle Dam... Roxbury...South Arm...Upton...Wilsons Mills...Avon... Carrabassett Valley...Coburn Gore...Dallas...Davis...Eustis... Kingfield...Bingham 309 AM EST Thu Jan 17 2008

...Winter Storm Watch In Effect From Late Tonight Through Friday Afternoon...

The National Weather Service In Gray Has Issued A Winter Storm Watch...Which Is In Effect From Late Tonight Through Friday Afternoon.

Six Inches Or More Snowfall Is Possible Across The Western Mountains Of Maine As Well As Northernmost New Hampshire Late Tonight And Friday. A Period Of Sleet Or Freezing Rain Is Possible As Well.

Please Report Snow Or Ice Accumulations To The National Weather Service By Calling Toll Free...1-877-633-6772...When You Can Do So Safely. Stay Tuned To Noaa Weather Radio...Your Local Media... Or Go To Www.Weather.Gov/Gray For Further Updates On This Weather Situation.

not to shabby

danny p

there are some really conflicting forecasts out there for southern VT. NOAA says snow tonight followed by sleet and r@in friday for Mt. Snow. Weather.com and Accuweather say all snow. I was hoping just to sneak up to Mt. Snow for a day but I might have to wake up early and drive to K just to guarantee all snow. So far all sites have all snow for K. Anyone hear any reliable forecasts for southern VT tomorrow (friday)?

Last edited:

Greg

Staff member
http://madriverglenweather.blogspot.com/

We couldn't quite bring everything together perfectly for Friday but the combination of a clipper system passing through Quebec and a storm moving north along the Atlantic Coast will still provide very nicely for MRG. Snow will begin just prior to daybreak on Friday and continue for about 6 hours potentially becoming heavy for a brief period of time. We should see 1-3 inches by first tracks time Friday and 5-8 inches when snow abruptly tapers off during the afternoon. Temperatures in the 20's will be cold enough to support our powder day but warm enough for comfort so get at it !

Greg

Staff member
Radar seems to be filling in quicker than I would have expected:

hfd_None_anim.gif

gladerider

i normally brave it out on 24. 20-30 minutes delay. maybe i'll try the back road tomorrow, but i think the back roads have local rush hour traffic as well that can easily add 20 minutes so i normally brave it out.

Last edited: