• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 1/18 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
same here, although I don't think that snow is hitting the ground quite yet.

Probably not the leading edge in So. PA, but the stuff south of there must be...

bvibert

Staff member
Radar seems to be filling in quicker than I would have expected:

hfd_None_anim.gif

Bring it!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
upper El's, Stratton

there are some really conflicting forecasts out there for southern VT. NOAA says snow tonight followed by sleet and r@in friday for Mt. Snow. Weather.com and Accuweather say all snow. I was hoping just to sneak up to Mt. Snow for a day but I might have to wake up early and drive to K just to guarantee all snow. So far all sites have all snow for K. Anyone hear any reliable forecasts for southern VT tomorrow (friday)?

The key is what is it doing at the higher elevations. You know the old adage, weather in the mts. can be significantly different from the valley. For southern VT, Stratton has three weather stations, base, mid and peak. I would pay attention to those over the coming hours. You can actually see the stations from various Stratton ski lifts.

Summit, Stratton Mountain, VT

half way up Stratton Mountain, Bondville, VT

Base Area, Stratton Mountain, VT

danny p

The key is what is it doing at the higher elevations. You know the old adage, weather in the mts. can be significantly different from the valley. For southern VT, Stratton has three weather stations, base, mid and peak. I would pay attention to those over the coming hours. You can actually see the stations from various Stratton ski lifts.

Summit, Stratton Mountain, VT

half way up Stratton Mountain, Bondville, VT

Base Area, Stratton Mountain, VT

thanks billski, i wasn't aware of those sites/weather stations. I'm hoping for a more detailed forecast tonight when the storm is upon us, so I can figure out where to go.

edit: greg that is one sweet avatar. always a sight for sore eyes to see that on the forecast page.

Last edited:

ajl50

Snowing very hard in center city. Visibilty limited to 1/4 mile from my ninth floor window.
Very little wind. Medium sized flakes. Air temp around 34, ground temp def. higher.
No accum. on roads/sidewalks

just now starting to add up on car roofs and house roofs.

Last edited:

Paul

Snowing very hard in center city. Visibilty limited to 1/4 mile from my ninth floor window.
Very little wind. Medium sized flakes. Air temp around 34, ground temp def. higher.
No accum. on roads/sidewalks

just now starting to add up on car roofs and house roofs.

Where are you in Center City? I went to Drexel. (A million years ago...)

SKIQUATTRO

been snowing here on the North Shore of LI since 530pm...flakes are getting bigger...ground is covered

Zand

Just started flurrying here. Still no confirmation on what's happening... some have said 3-6" of snow, some have said maybe an inch and then freezing rain. Who knows.

2knees

the storm track screams rain but its been absolutely puking outside for an hour now. I bet i have 2 or 3 inches already. i know its gonna change over but it still looks tastey.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
raining like nutz since about 5pm here in mass. looks like the rain/snow line is about at Lebanon, NH so late afternoon travel will be OK, save for the mob of MLK weekenders. I'm heading up this afternoon, no more billski until next week.

loafer89

We got about 2.5" of snow and then rain on top, now it's raining, foggy and 34F

It's snowing quite hard in Maine at the moment.8)

Grassi21

don't know about the snow totals but the nair took its toll late last night into this morning. can't wait to shovel the slush off of the drive way. the sun is starting to come out a bit now.

jaywbigred

i normally brave it out on 24. 20-30 minutes delay. maybe i'll try the back road tomorrow, but i think the back roads have local rush hour traffic as well that can easily add 20 minutes so i normally brave it out.

I haven't run into any traffic on the backroads. I go through chatham/madison (Southern Blvd-->Shunpike-->Blue Mill--> James St. and get on 287 there. However, even though there isnt traffic, that takes prob 20 mins and you are a few miles farther south on 287. Still haven't decided which is better. Guess it all depends just how bad 24 is.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
4" of really wet snow (probably some freezing rain in there somewhere) at Magic. It is still coming down lightly. This type of snow is just what we need.

By the way, all this NJ (specifically Morris County) talk is bringing back all kinds of memories. I can tell you without a doubt that the corner of Noe and Shunpike is 3 1/2 hours from Magic, driving at 74 on the Thruway. 8)

gladerider

I haven't run into any traffic on the backroads. I go through chatham/madison (Southern Blvd-->Shunpike-->Blue Mill--> James St. and get on 287 there. However, even though there isnt traffic, that takes prob 20 mins and you are a few miles farther south on 287. Still haven't decided which is better. Guess it all depends just how bad 24 is.

jaywbigred - that's not a bad route. very quite back there. you can avoid the 24 traffic that way but you'd still have to deal with the backup that builds between 24-287 merge and 287-80 merge. i am going to try that route today and give you the comparison when i get back, on this thread.