• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/16 - 12/17 Storm Discussion Thread

ajl50

Scott was a wee bit sick. I noticed his WCVB report was dated Thursday. You can pick up his later thoughts, anyways here
http://list.uvm.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A1=ind0712B&L=SKIVT-L
do a ctl+F and search for "braa"

Thanks!

My general take is that the highest snow total will be 10 inches.
I see lots of sleet mixing in.
Not that this is a terrible thing for early in the season. Sure two feet would be sweet but with all the blowing and driting most of that would end up in huge piles off trail. At least with a solid layer of heavy sleet we're getting a major base built up. This early in the sason that can't be underestimated!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Thanks!

My general take is that the highest snow total will be 10 inches.
I see lots of sleet mixing in.
Not that this is a terrible thing for early in the season. Sure two feet would be sweet but with all the blowing and driting most of that would end up in huge piles off trail. At least with a solid layer of heavy sleet we're getting a major base built up. This early in the sason that can't be underestimated!

agreed. I'm getting a bit spoiled. Compared with where we were last season, we're in heaven. It's just a shame to get sent back to purgagory after seeing the pearly gates :razz:

When I wake up tomorrow morning if it's freezing rain and sleet..I'm going back to bed..we got screwed the other day..1 inch of snow and an inch of ice at Blue mountain and Sno up in Scranton received 8 inches.

ajl50

Well don't even set the alam. Pa is all snow (little) then frozen crap (lots) and rain (some) so don't even bother. Just hunker down and watch the pats and eagles play.
With the upper level warm air screaming at 35-40 knts up from the carolina's this morning I wouldn't even bet on the catskills getting much more than a nasty nasty does of sleet.

Well don't even set the alam. Pa is all snow (little) then frozen crap (lots) and rain (some) so don't even bother. Just hunker down and watch the pats and eagles play.
With the upper level warm air screaming at 35-40 knts up from the carolina's this morning I wouldn't even bet on the catskills getting much more than a nasty nasty does of sleet.

Yeah after 9 days of skiing in a row..tomorrow might be a rest day..then my next rest day will probably be Christmas..

powderfreak

Sorry guys, trying not to forget over here...I just posted this at skivt-l (mostly Burlington area and adjacent VT):

Heavy snow will develop by morning across the north country...with quite a
furious burst of snow expected during the late morning hours. Snow will
likely be falling at 1-2"/hr tomorrow morning everywhere. Then, warm layer
at 9,000ft will advect north through the area changing us to sleet for the
afternoon. We will have been dryslotted during this time, too, so Sunday
afternoon will feature light precipitation in the form of sleet. By 5-6pm
the cold conveyor belt on the backside of the low will change sleet back to
snow and as the deformation band moves back through (especially northern VT)
snow will become heavy again. Upslope enhancement tomorrow night will
result in heavy snowfall along the western slopes of the Greens as well as
good snowfall in the CPV.

Totals of 12-24" are still expected at the ski resorts from Sugarbush
northward with amounts increasing as you head north. Most populated regions
will see between 12-16" with some spots in northern VT seeing 20". The
Adirondacks and northern NY are going to get crushed with 18-24" likely at
Whiteface.

Upslope snow will continue through a good chunk of Monday with additional
accumulations. This will be a long storm for the ski resorts and totals
will likely continue to rise through Monday afternoon. It is not
unreasonable to think the northern Vermont resorts will be measuring 20-30"
by Monday afternoon.

I'm concerned with wind hold on Monday morning so keep that in mind.

-Scott

loafer89

Very heavy sleet woke me out ot bed at 4:45am and now I am going back to bed. We got about 2" of snow and sleet. I am a bit worried about alot of freezing rain at out altitude especially with the temperature at 21F.

The wind is howling from the south over our mountaintop location right now.

NOAA is calling for snow wednesday night, and again on friday, looks like a white chistmas. Skiing is out for me right now as I am developing a nasty head cold.

22 degrees here in Allentown and it's been sleeting and freezing rain all night..I'm going to go outside and take a walk..real feel is below zero with the high winds..

RISkier

We're getting mostly sleet so far this morning, and quite a bit of it. Was hoping to get some Christmas shopping done today but things will have to change before I'm venturing out on the roads. Still early. Hope it dumps on the mountains.

Zand

Heavy snow with sleet mixed in here. Very strong winds and a temp of 12. They greatly reduced the forecasted temp and brought up the snow totals here. It was almost a qhite out a few minutes ago but now we're about to get dry-slotted.Can't even tell how much we've gotten so far because of the blowing going on but it was a very heavy band.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
Southeastern NH, Sunday 730 am

We've got a few inches, 11 degrees and the snow is falling pretty fast-not huge flakes but has a foggy look.

This deck was clear when I went to bed.

1216_0730_storm.jpg

wa-loaf

Well, we've already got about 6 inches and it's really dumping. I have to head out and get more gas for the snowblower. Not supposed to get sleet until noon, so we're probably good for 10+ before then. The radar shows the snow/rain line pretty far south still.

Greg

Staff member
Another Nor'Sleetster for us. All sleet, probably 4" so far and 19F right now.

dmc

Nasty nasty day here in Hunter...
Windy... Icey snow... Maybe 8" last night..

I just returned from a 30 minute walk to and from a mini-market. When I left the surface was mostly sleet and there was a persistant light freezing rain. There are actually some sleet drifts due to a strong east wind. The temperature was in the mid 20s but the reelfeel was near zero. The main roads are plowed by icy and I could ski on the secondary roads. By the time I got to the store I was covered in a sheet of ice. I bought all the neccassary provisions to get me through the day. Devil dogs, jerky, cheese-itz, and tomato soup..oh yeah and Sugar Free Red Bull..2 cans..steezy..The woman at the mini-mart said it's been busy this morning with plow truck drivers. Because the sleet accumulation is so dense..the piles in parking lots are getting pretty big.

According to channel 10 news..it's 41 degrees at the philly airport, 32 in Quakertown and Doylestown, and 27 degrees up here in Allentown. It looks like freezing rain for much of the morning followed by a changeover to plain rain..then tonight it's going to get cold and even windier and everything is going to freeze solid. If you don't have to go out, don't...I'm personally waiting to clear off my car until it's above freezing this afternoon.

The snowpack consits of the remaining crusty accumulation from Thursday, a thin layer of ice from the freezing rain that fell around midnight, about an inch of sleet that fell overnight and now a thin but growing coating of ice on top...a mo-fo parfait..

hammer

Just south of Nashua NH it's still snowing...big flakes. Measured about 6" on my front door steps about 30 minutes ago.

TWC has the local temp at 14 degrees but Boston (~35 miles away) is reporting 30 degrees. Would like to see the cold air stay in place.

ckofer

Website
www.skicheapordie.com
I attempted to go to Gunstock this morning but I couldn't even make it to the end of the street over 8" of nice dry powder too. It is killing me being stuck at the house knowing the goods are out there to be had... It is still snowing hard but they just plowed the street maybe I will try again in a a couple of hours. I will keep an eye on the radar.

Channel 9 news just announced that some or most of roads will not be scraped prior to the shift to rain so that the ice won't form directly on the pavement. In other words, the driving will suck all day.

"Your typical city involved in a typical daydream
Hang it up and see what tomorrow brings"

ajl50

From the looks of the radar right now this storm looks not good.
Huge dry slot all the way up into the catskills - looks like the primary low went all the way up there and the secondary hasn't taken over yet. I'm no powderfreak but it seems like this isn't going to drop the 14 inches predicted. Just seems too disorganized with the sup strong south wind.
BOOO
oh well- eight is great