• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Official 12/6-12/7 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
Remember these from last season? ;) This storm may not amount to that much, but I figured I'd start one anyway. Anyway, some light snow is beginning to fall in Southern Connecticut!

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm sure you just got my e-mail, Greg.

Hoping that the cold weather stays for this week and weekend :wink:

ChileMass

3PM in lovely North Billerica, MA and it is snowing outside my office window. Large flakes, and it's coming down pretty good.....

thetrailboss

Staff member
The long-term forecast is looking promising, assuming that we can make it through Fri-Sat, which, at worse case, will be rain showers and 40's and best case will be 30's and snow. Temps will be in the 10's-30's next week according to NOAA weather radio. I can feel it!!! The season is here! :wink:

Greg

Staff member
I hope you're right thetrailboss. This storm was minor for us - just an inch or two of snow, sleet, and freezing rain...

JimG.

Staff member
The forecast looks good after this Sunday with plenty of cold air that could last uninterrupted well into the first part of January. Several potential storm systems with snow forecasted during the same period.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't get so cold that storms can't form over the Northeast (like last January...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!).

thetrailboss

Staff member
JimG. said:
The forecast looks good after this Sunday with plenty of cold air that could last uninterrupted well into the first part of January. Several potential storm systems with snow forecasted during the same period.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't get so cold that storms can't form over the Northeast (like last January...Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!).

And the January before :wink:

Though I would rather have cold than rain.

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
Been snowing here near Attitash all day. A light snow but steady. It's very dense though, like an inch of manmade stuff on everything. Looks like a few more in the works before any changeover to sleet.

This one could be a good net gain.

skijay

I only got about 1 inch of snow and then the unplowed roads got icy. I Got a chance to try out the snow tires last night!

Charlie Schuessler

We put NEW snow tires on both cars last week and it felt good to drive on them this morning. Watching other cars sliding of the roads and into the woods this morning was interesting, it'll interesting on the ride home...it always happens on the first day of winter conditions.

Drive slow and safe, leave the speed work to when you're on the slopes.

MtnMagic

It looked extremely promising as it started to snow this afternoon. We received about an inch until it turned to freezing rain around 5pm. I can't imagine it raining all night tonight but the forecast says rain as the temps warm up. It doesn't get any whiter than the Presies, with Franconia Ridge along with Cannon, the Kinsmans and the Kilkenny (Mt's Weeks and Cabot) also Mt's Waumbek and Starr King have that marvelously "deep white" at the summits. Such beauty!

Time for skiing, skating and 'shoeing everyday soon. Enjoyment!
:D

DJAK

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
skitheeast.net
Had about 3 hours of heavy sleet/snow after a day of light snow right near Attitash.

About 4 inches of the stuff down right about now. Still coming down heavy. The snow plows are having a hard time because it is so dense and heavy. The banks re getting huge even tough we've only had a few inches.

There's a shot at some natural terrain opening in the coming days because this stuff is as dense as it gets.

From the radar looks like we may escape any significant ncp.
DJAK

Charlie Schuessler

I left the office around 5:20 and it was raining. The roads were slippery with rain landing on ice, interesting....

Witnessed different driving habits of others from this morning, much slower...

MtnMagic

Wow DJAK, it's colder East in Conway than up here North in Lancaster. I'd rather have the snow. Icy conditions make things too dangerous.

MtnMagic

I hear you Charlie. I've done scary 360's down these hills during ice storms before. Hope it doesn't happen again. Let it rain, or let it snow, please no more death defying drives.