• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

machski

Ah, perhaps any riding the buses and trail-side would have already had to state parking intentions for their condo/hotel locations? Actual drop offs, may be such a minuscule number they just factor in? I'd bet they've got a clue on their incoming reservations.
Doubtful, but then again Killington nor Powdr has explained exactly how the Parking Reservations system(s) will work. (S) because all Powdr resorts appear to be adopting parking reservations for this season, not just K.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
What if you get dropped off at the mountain? What if you take the bus (if there is a bus this year) what about people that live in the on trail condos? Do all those people not have to worry? K needs to make these questions clear.

Not disagreeing with you.

But things have been clear as mud so far.

Hawk

Well it started as a comparison of how other Ikon resorts are handling things and Killington hijacked the thread. I really do not care what the challenges are down at Killington. They are totally different from Sugarbush with far more day trippers then we have. I also do not have any concerns about parking at Sugarbush as I have a place to park. I do want to know if there will be some kind of process that I need to do to actually go skiing this winter. As of now there is not but I think it is coming.

HowieT2

Well it started as a comparison of how other Ikon resorts are handling things and Killington hijacked the thread. I really do not care what the challenges are down at Killington. They are totally different from Sugarbush with far more day trippers then we have. I also do not have any concerns about parking at Sugarbush as I have a place to park. I do want to know if there will be some kind of process that I need to do to actually go skiing this winter. As of now there is not but I think it is coming.

Any thoughts on what the uphill travel policy will be?

Hawk

I was told that it will be the same as most years with approved routes and times. If the mountain shuts down I am not sure what will happen. Last year there was a period of about 2 or 2 weeks after the close that skinning was just fantastic. But then people inevitably screwed it up by not social distancing, having parties in the parking lot and gathering on the hill. Maybe we can do it better this time.

HowieT2

I was told that it will be the same as most years with approved routes and times. If the mountain shuts down I am not sure what will happen. Last year there was a period of about 2 or 2 weeks after the close that skinning was just fantastic. But then people inevitably screwed it up by not social distancing, having parties in the parking lot and gathering on the hill. Maybe we can do it better this time.

i'm getting a new touring setup just in case.

Blurski

If the current VT COVID19 travel restrictions stay the same it seems like many out of state skiers "technically" cannot come to VT 2 ski for a few days & return home and repeat again the following week. It is going to push people to make a tough decision do what is right for safety of others or what they feel is right for them and not obey the travel restrictions. At this point it seems the mountains are leaving this up to the individual to follow the states policy or not. It will be interesting to see if the Governor will pass the responsibility & enforcement onto the businesses that draw tourist.
To me this is what us out of state skiers should be most concerned with.
If the resorts turn into Covid 19 smuggle fest, it will game over for everyone.

Hawk

I hear that the vaccine is coming in November. If I get the vaccine am I good to go? This is going to be way more complicated then everyone thinks.

ducky

If the current VT COVID19 travel restrictions stay the same it seems like many out of state skiers "technically" cannot come to VT 2 ski for a few days & return home and repeat again the following week. It is going to push people to make a tough decision do what is right for safety of others or what they feel is right for them and not obey the travel restrictions. At this point it seems the mountains are leaving this up to the individual to follow the states policy or not. It will be interesting to see if the Governor will pass the responsibility & enforcement onto the businesses that draw tourist.
To me this is what us out of state skiers should be most concerned with.
If the resorts turn into Covid 19 smuggle fest, it will game over for everyone.

This is the big question. Surely Sugarbush will follow the state guidelines. We have two businesses in the valley and have turned away visitors this summer for having not quarantined; we face fines if not. The guidelines may change between now and winter but I bet not too much and suspect John Hammond will see they comply. Dr Fauci was on the bi-weekly call with Gov Phil Scott and DoH Director Dr Levine on Tuesday and commended Vermont for being a leader. So many weekend visitors come from red or yellow counties including all of the NY and Boston metro areas and Fairfield Cty, CT... https://accd.vermont.gov/covid-19/restart/cross-state-travel

Hawk

How is John Hamnond and Sugarbush going to be able to confirm that people are following the guidelines and restrict people that are not? In my condo complex there are families from MA that have been living up there and will remain there for the winter working remotely. They comply but how would you know?
Also, hypothetically, if I chose to go up every weekend and I am isolated at my house in MA, ski from my condo so I am not interacting at the base. Ski with a mask on with my significant other and bring all my own food, How am I not complaint? Common sense would dictate that I am. So very complicated.

Blurski

I guess it works if you and whoever you live with never leave your house in MA for any reason. Seems like a tall order not interact with anyone for 5 months, but skiing is a very powerful drug and can make people do really crazing things!

You better start to stock pile the gasoline now in both places.

Mathematically imposable to meet the 7 day quarantining + test or 14 day quarantining required from out of state when you come & go every week.

The big man say vaccine is right around the corner, problem fix, it is that easy.

Hawk

There are acceptable practices for going to get gas and getting food. Correct Masks, Sanitizer immediately after touching anything, social distance. If you are thorough and diligent you have basically no risk. The guide lines are there as a catch all for people that do not follow any of these practices. I am just throwing it out there.

Blurski

I get it, but there is no way to know if the person in front of you in line coughing & sneezing follows the recommended safe practices, you cant fix stupid.
Once we invent the stupid filter many problems will be solved.

cdskier

There are acceptable practices for going to get gas and getting food. Correct Masks, Sanitizer immediately after touching anything, social distance. If you are thorough and diligent you have basically no risk. The guide lines are there as a catch all for people that do not follow any of these practices. I am just throwing it out there.

I agree. I'd also say that if anyone thinks the ski areas (and businesses in the surrounding communities) could legitimately survive in the winter with "locals only", they're very much mistaken. We know a lot more now than we did when this first started about what works best to reduce any risks. VT just seems extremely slow to react to this information and best practices (just look how long it took them until they finally mandated masks statewide).

HowieT2

I agree. I'd also say that if anyone thinks the ski areas (and businesses in the surrounding communities) could legitimately survive in the winter with "locals only", they're very much mistaken. We know a lot more now than we did when this first started about what works best to reduce any risks. VT just seems extremely slow to react to this information and best practices (just look how long it took them until they finally mandated masks statewide).

What I dont understand is the algorithm vt is using to determine the active cases per million. The threshold for quarantine is 400/million. my county in NY, westchester, has been consistently for months in the 20's per 100k for 7 day period and yet VT has the active cases above 800/million. The population of westchester is just shy of 1m. I dont get it.